more trash-picking goods...

  • Joe Giliberti
    Message 1 of 29 , Jun 1, 2009
      I found a bunch of manuals and software in a curbside pile. There is the User Manual for a Mac SE30, a copy of The Print Shop (for mac), and a box from apple computer containing a "hypercard,"

      Lastly there are some old manuals for some IBM operating systems with dates of 1975 or less on them.

      I'll find out more about the IBM manuals and give an update.

      On the OT side:
      A TiVo Series 2 box, but no remote, have yet to test
      A Pair of good condition floor speakers, all foam surrounds intact, made by dbx.
      A Hoover Canister Vacuum from sometime in the 1960s. Great for cleaning cars.

      Joe
    • Joe Giliberti

        Message 3 of 29 , Jun 1, 2009
          I plan to disassemble and hopefully clean up my Model II keyboard
          tonight. Do any of you guys know what sort of key switch mechanism they
          used in these? Mechanical, capacitative, etc?

          Mike Loewen mloewen@...
        • Kelly D. Leavitt
          Message 4 of 29 , Jun 1, 2009
            Capacitive Foam. YUCK.

            I plan to disassemble and hopefully clean up my Model II keyboard
            tonight. Do any of you guys know what sort of key switch mechanism they
            used in these? Mechanical, capacitative, etc?

            Mike Loewen mloewen@... <mailto:mloewen%40cpumagic.scol.pa.us>
            Old Technology http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/ <http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/>
          • Mike Loewen
            Message 5 of 29 , Jun 1, 2009
              On Mon, 1 Jun 2009, Kelly D. Leavitt wrote:

              > Capacitive Foam. YUCK.

              Any tips or suggestions?
            • Bill Degnan
              Message 6 of 29 , Jun 1, 2009
                Bob made a PS/2 adapter for the model II which may not be the route you
                wish to take, but it's an option.

                > On Mon, 1 Jun 2009, Kelly D. Leavitt wrote:
                >
                > > Capacitive Foam. YUCK.

              • Mike Loewen
                Message 7 of 29 , Jun 1, 2009
                  On Mon, 1 Jun 2009, Kelly D. Leavitt wrote:

                  > Capacitive Foam. YUCK.

                  I'll second that. The Model II keyboard has to be the worst
                  implementation I've ever seen. Not only does the foam pad disintegrate,
                  but it takes with it the metallic coating on the underside of the plastic
                  disc that presses against the circuit board. On my keyboard, a total
                  of FIVE keys were still working.

                  Based on the articles I've read about rebuilding capacitive keyboards,
                  I think I can resurrect it. Unfortunately, I don't have the materials on
                  hand. I'll see what I can dig up.

                  On the positive side, the 8" CP/M 2.2 boot diskette I created using IMD
                  worked perfectly. :-)

                  Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                • Kelly D. Leavitt
                  Message 8 of 29 , Jun 1, 2009

                    Mike Loewen mloewen@cpumagic. scol.pa.us

                    Message 9 of 29 , Jun 1, 2009
                      I have a keyboard repair kit for a 16 around somewhere. If I can find it I'll take some pictures.

                      Kelly

                      On Mon, 1 Jun 2009, Kelly D. Leavitt wrote:

                      > Capacitive Foam. YUCK.

                      I'll second that. The Model II keyboard has to be the worst
                      implementation I've ever seen. Not only does the foam pad disintegrate,
                      but it takes with it the metallic coating on the underside of the plastic
                      disc that presses against the circuit board. On my keyboard, a total
                      of FIVE keys were still working.

                      Based on the articles I've read about rebuilding capacitive keyboards,
                      I think I can resurrect it. Unfortunately, I don't have the materials on
                      hand. I'll see what I can dig up.

                      On the positive side, the 8" CP/M 2.2 boot diskette I created using IMD
                      worked perfectly. :-)

                      Mike Loewen mloewen@...

                      _
                    • Mike Loewen
                      Message 10 of 29 , Jun 9, 2009
                        On Mon, 1 Jun 2009, Mike Loewen wrote:

                        > Based on the articles I've read about rebuilding capacitive keyboards,
                        > I think I can resurrect it. Unfortunately, I don't have the materials on
                        > hand. I'll see what I can dig up.

                        Going by hints in this article about rebuilding Sol 20 keyboards:

                        http://www.solivant.com/sol20kbd/

                        ...I was 100% successful in rebuilding my Model II keyboard. I used a
                        7/16" hollow punch purchased in a set from Grizzly, a $3.00 Space Blanket
                        from WalMart, a strip of 3/16" Track Foam from the local hobby store and a
                        jar of Elmer's Rubber Cement. I used the punch to make 76 foam circles
                        (use a drill press or a mill), then glued them to the conductive side of a
                        sheet cut from the space blanket. I used the punch again to punch out the
                        combination of foam and mylar circle, then glued the old plastic discs
                        (after cleaning) to the back of the foam.

                        The foam is a little stiffer than the original, but is perfectly
                        usable and is not supposed to disintegrate. I think I can come up with a
                        quicker procedure, by gluing a strip of mylar to a strip of foam, and a
                        sheet of some sort of plastic document protector to the other side, and
                        using my hand-operated punch-and-die to punch out all three at a time.
                        Maybe we'll try it this weekend at VCW.

                        Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                      • Dan Roganti
                        Message 11 of 29 , Jun 10, 2009
                          Mike,

                          Save the old foam pieces from the keyboard , I like to compare them this wknd when I get there.

                          =Dan

                          Mike Loewen wrote:
[...]

                          <*> Your email settings:
                              Individual Email | Traditional

                          <*> To change settings online go to:
                              (Yahoo! ID required)

                          <*> To change settings via email:

                              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                        • Mike Loewen
                          Message 12 of 29 , Jun 10, 2009
                            On Wed, 10 Jun 2009, Dan Roganti wrote:

                            > Save the old foam pieces from the keyboard , I like to compare them this
                            > wknd when I get there.

                            Oops...the vacuum ate it. :-) Seriously, what was left couldn't be
                            removed in one piece: it crumbled at the least touch.

                            Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                          • Dan Roganti
                            Message 13 of 29 , Jun 10, 2009

                              Mike Loewen wrote:
                              On Wed, 10 Jun 2009, Dan Roganti wrote:

                              Save the old foam pieces from the keyboard , I like to compare them this
                              wknd when I get there.

                                  Oops...the vacuum ate it.  :-)  Seriously, what was left couldn't be
                              removed in one piece: it crumbled at the least touch.

                              oh ok, I'm waiting til I get there to take mine apart - maybe there's some left in m ine that's till intact and we can compare the readings - I'll bring my Cap meter too.

                              =Dan

                            • Mike Loewen
                              Message 14 of 29 , Jun 10, 2009
                                On Wed, 10 Jun 2009, Dan Roganti wrote:

                                > Save the old foam pieces from the keyboard , I like to compare them this
                                > wknd when I get there.
                                >

                                >> Oops...the vacuum ate it. :-) Seriously, what was left couldn't be
                                >> removed in one piece: it crumbled at the least touch.
                                >

                                > oh ok, I'm waiting til I get there to take mine apart - maybe there's
                                > some left in m ine that's till intact and we can compare the readings -
                                > I'll bring my Cap meter too.

                                I still think you're on the wrong track with this foam thing.
                                According to my reading, the foam is not the dielectric, but the conformal
                                coating over the semicircular pads on the PCB. All you have to do is get
                                the mylar pad close enough to the PCB and you have a capacitance change.
                              • Dan Roganti
                                Message 15 of 29 , Jun 10, 2009

                                  Mike Loewen wrote:
                                  On Wed, 10 Jun 2009, Dan Roganti wrote:

                                   Save the old foam pieces from the keyboard , I like to compare them this
                                  wknd when I get there.

                                   Oops...the vacuum ate it.  :-)  Seriously, what was left couldn't be
                                  removed in one piece: it crumbled at the least touch.

                                  oh ok, I'm waiting til I get there to take mine apart - maybe there's
                                  some left in m ine that's till intact and we can compare the readings -
                                  I'll bring my Cap meter too.

                                      I still think you're on the wrong track with this foam thing.
                                  According to my reading, the foam is not the dielectric, but the conformal
                                  coating over the semicircular pads on the PCB.  All you have to do is get
                                  the mylar pad close enough to the PCB and you have a capacitance change.

                                  even air can act as the dielectric of a capacitor - remember the tuning caps in a old radio.

                                  =Dan

                                • Kelly D. Leavitt
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Aug 10, 2009

                                    > Based on the articles I've read about rebuilding capacitive keyboards,
                                    > I think I can resurrect it. Unfortunately, I don't have the materials on
                                    > hand. I'll see what I can dig up.

                                    Going by hints in this article about rebuilding Sol 20 keyboards:

                                    http://www.solivant .com/sol20kbd/

                                    ...I was 100% successful in rebuilding my Model II keyboard. I used a
                                    7/16" hollow punch purchased in a set from Grizzly, a $3.00 Space Blanket
                                    from WalMart, a strip of 3/16" Track Foam from the local hobby store and a
                                    jar of Elmer's Rubber Cement. I used the punch to make 76 foam circles
                                    (use a drill press or a mill), then glued them to the conductive side of a
                                    sheet cut from the space blanket. I used the punch again to punch out the
                                    combination of foam and mylar circle, then glued the old plastic discs
                                    (after cleaning) to the back of the foam.

                                    The foam is a little stiffer than the original, but is perfectly
                                    usable and is not supposed to disintegrate. I think I can come up with a
                                    quicker procedure, by gluing a strip of mylar to a strip of foam, and a
                                    sheet of some sort of plastic document protector to the other side, and
                                    using my hand-operated punch-and-die to punch out all three at a time.
                                    Maybe we'll try it this weekend at VCW.

                                    .

                                  • Kelly D. Leavitt
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Aug 10, 2009
                                      Dang, I hate compures some days.

                                      On Tuesday, June 09, 2009, Mike Loewen wrote:

                                      >> Based on the articles I've read about rebuilding capacitive keyboards,
                                      >> I think I can resurrect it. Unfortunately, I don't have the materials on
                                      >> hand. I'll see what I can dig up.
                                      >
                                      > Going by hints in this article about rebuilding Sol 20 keyboards:
                                      >
                                      > http://www.solivant.com/sol20kbd/
                                      >
                                      > ...I was 100% successful in rebuilding my Model II keyboard. I used a
                                      > 7/16" hollow punch purchased in a set from Grizzly, a $3.00 Space Blanket
                                      > from WalMart, a strip of 3/16" Track Foam from the local hobby store and a
                                      > jar of Elmer's Rubber Cement. I used the punch to make 76 foam circles
                                      > (use a drill press or a mill), then glued them to the conductive side of a
                                      > sheet cut from the space blanket. I used the punch again to punch out the
                                      > combination of foam and mylar circle, then glued the old plastic discs
                                      > (after cleaning) to the back of the foam.

                                      Mike:
                                      Any interest in making several hundred of these :-).

                                      Seriously, out of the 8 model 16/12 keyboards I have, exactly 1 works. I'm hoping to get one more working for VCF, then sitting down and making a whole bunch of these. I don't have a drill press, but I can make them manually I guess.

                                      Kelly
                                    • Mike Loewen
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Aug 11, 2009
                                        On Mon, 10 Aug 2009, Kelly D. Leavitt wrote:

                                        > On Tuesday, June 09, 2009, Mike Loewen wrote:
                                        >
                                        >> ...I was 100% successful in rebuilding my Model II keyboard. I used a
                                        >> 7/16" hollow punch purchased in a set from Grizzly, a $3.00 Space Blanket
                                        >> from WalMart, a strip of 3/16" Track Foam from the local hobby store and a
                                        >> jar of Elmer's Rubber Cement. I used the punch to make 76 foam circles
                                        >> (use a drill press or a mill), then glued them to the conductive side of a
                                        >> sheet cut from the space blanket. I used the punch again to punch out the
                                        >> combination of foam and mylar circle, then glued the old plastic discs
                                        >> (after cleaning) to the back of the foam.
                                        >
                                        > Mike:
                                        > Any interest in making several hundred of these :-).
                                        >
                                        > Seriously, out of the 8 model 16/12 keyboards I have, exactly 1 works.
                                        > I'm hoping to get one more working for VCF, then sitting down and making
                                        > a whole bunch of these. I don't have a drill press, but I can make them
                                        > manually I guess.

                                        I think I have a better way of making them, by gluing the mylar to one
                                        side of the foam strip and a sheet of thin plastic (report cover) to the
                                        other side, then using a 7/16" hole punch to punch all three layers. The
                                        first batch I tried came out too wrinkly (the mylar layer) for my taste
                                        but a little experimentation should take care of that.

                                        That being said, I don't think I'll have time to get a batch made
                                        before VCF. If I get my exhibit project done, I'll see what I can do.

                                        Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                                      • Kelly D. Leavitt
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Aug 11, 2009
                                          >> I used a
                                          >> 7/16" hollow punch purchased in a set from Grizzly,
                                          Which punch set did you use, the $4 one or the $18 one? Based on the name, I'm guessing it was the $4 one.

                                          In case you can't recall, here is a link to the page listing the two punch sets:
                                          http://grizzly.com/products/Gasket-Punch-Set/H3329
                                        • Mike Loewen
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Aug 11, 2009
                                            On Tue, 11 Aug 2009, Kelly D. Leavitt wrote:

                                            >>> I used a
                                            >>> 7/16" hollow punch purchased in a set from Grizzly,
                                            > Which punch set did you use, the $4 one or the $18 one? Based on the name, I'm guessing it was the $4 one.
                                            >
                                            > In case you can't recall, here is a link to the page listing the two punch sets:
                                            > http://grizzly.com/products/Gasket-Punch-Set/H3329

                                            It was the G9845 set ($3.95). The hand punch I'm using for the new
                                            procedure is this one (Ebay #360177115953). I normally use it for
                                            punching holes in aluminum panels.

                                            Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                                          • Kelly D. Leavitt
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Aug 11, 2009
                                              > The hand punch I'm using for the new
                                              > procedure is this one (Ebay #360177115953).
                                              That says it handles 14 AWG. I know that's the thickness of metal it can handle. That is no where near the thickness of the keyboard pads. Is the opening actually high enough for the 1/4" foam sandwich?

                                              Thanks,
                                              Kelly
                                            • Mike Loewen
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Aug 11, 2009
                                                On Tue, 11 Aug 2009, Kelly D. Leavitt wrote:

                                                >> The hand punch I'm using for the new
                                                >> procedure is this one (Ebay #360177115953).
                                                > That says it handles 14 AWG. I know that's the thickness of metal it can
                                                > handle. That is no where near the thickness of the keyboard pads. Is the
                                                > opening actually high enough for the 1/4" foam sandwich?

                                                Easily. I've already tried it. The only problem with that punch is
                                                that it has a small point in the middle of the punch section, so you have
                                                to lay the sandwich face down so that resulting small hole is in the
                                                plastic piece, not the mylar face.

                                                Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                                              • Kelly D. Leavitt
                                                Message 23 of 29 , Aug 11, 2009
                                                  Want to bring the punch to VCF? I'll bring a mylar/foam/plastic sandwich.

                                                  Kelly
                                                • Mike Loewen
                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Aug 11, 2009
                                                    On Tue, 11 Aug 2009, Kelly D. Leavitt wrote:

                                                    > Want to bring the punch to VCF? I'll bring a mylar/foam/plastic sandwich.

                                                    Can do.

                                                    Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                                                  • Mike Loewen
                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Aug 11, 2009
                                                      On Tue, 11 Aug 2009, Mike Loewen wrote:

                                                      > On Tue, 11 Aug 2009, Kelly D. Leavitt wrote:
                                                      >
                                                      >> Want to bring the punch to VCF? I'll bring a mylar/foam/plastic sandwich.
                                                      >
                                                      > Can do.

                                                      One thing - you mentioned 1/4" in a previous post: I used 3/16" foam.
                                                      I think 1/4" would be too thick, and might lead to spurious keystrokes.

                                                      Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                                                    • evan@snarc.net
                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Aug 11, 2009
                                                        >>> I'll bring a mylar/foam/plastic sandwich.

                                                        Now we know how you lost so much weight last year! :)
                                                      • Win Heagy
                                                        Message 27 of 29 , Aug 1, 2011
                                                          Since this thread, has anyone found a source of pre-made capacitive foam keyboard inserts? I have a Sol 20 that I'm rebuilding and the keyboard is shot. I saw the page showing how to make them, just wondering if anyone knows of a source of pre-made pads?

                                                          Thanks,

                                                          Win

                                                          Message 28 of 29 , Aug 3, 2011
                                                            I have seen kits on Ebay from time to time, none recently. $60 each
                                                            or something like that.
                                                            Bill

                                                            At 09:01 PM 8/1/2011, you wrote:
                                                            >Since this thread, has anyone found a source of pre-made capacitive
                                                            >foam keyboard inserts? I have a Sol 20 that I'm rebuilding and the
                                                            >keyboard is shot. I saw the page showing how to make them, just
                                                            >wondering if anyone knows of a source of pre-made pads?
                                                            >
                                                            >Thanks,
                                                            >
                                                            >Win
                                                            >
                                                            >--- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Kelly D. Leavitt" <kelly@...> wrote:
                                                            > >
                                                            > > > The hand punch I'm using for the new
                                                            > > > procedure is this one (Ebay #360177115953).
                                                            > > That says it handles 14 AWG. I know that's the thickness of metal
                                                            > it can handle. That is no where near the thickness of the keyboard
                                                            > pads. Is the opening actually high enough for the 1/4" foam sandwich?
                                                            > >
                                                            > > Thanks,
                                                            > > Kelly

                                                          • jack99rubin
                                                            Message 29 of 29 , Aug 5, 2011
                                                              Check with Erik Klein - Vintage Computer Forum - he's been selling kits of the inserts occasionally.

                                                              Jack