Re: [midatlanticretro] makeshift IBM monitor

  • Mr Ian Primus
    Message 1 of 23 , Jun 1, 2009
      --- On Sun, 5/31/09, Joe Giliberti <Starbase89@...> wrote:

      >there is a bit of rust on the cover, but not significant. I'm using a >random AT keyboard, as I do not have a model M

      An AT keyboard will not work on this machine. You need an XT keyboard. The plugs are the same, but the protocol is different. Some early AT keyboards also have a switch (sometimes hidden behind a little panel in th bottom) to switch between AT and XT modes.

      The original CGA card has RCA plugs on it, and if I remember correctly, it should be composite video. But, I do believe that the composite video output does not support all video modes that the CGA card can do. Your best bet is to find a real monitor...

      You can't connect the CGA card to a VGA monitor, but you CAN use (with limited color palette), an analog RGB monitor, such as the ones used on the Commodore Amiga. CGA is a digital RGB, and uses an intensity line. The analog monitors will display the digital signal, but can't use the intensity line - so all the "light" colors come out as the same color as their "bright" counterparts. It's usable though.

      -Ian
    • Bill Degnan
      Message 2 of 23 , Jun 1, 2009
        May I add that this is quite a lucky find, you may never get such a rare
        system in the trash ever again, you take this as an opportunity to perform
        a serious restoration/save. Learn about what you have and make the most of
        the experience. Don't try to hook this up to the Internet, try to return
        the computer to original condition. Don't power this up until you're
        confident you have tested the power, removed all cards and unhooked power
        to the motherboard, etc.
        Bill

        > >there is a bit of rust on the cover, but not significant. I'm using a
        >random AT keyboard, as I do not have a model M
        >
        > An AT keyboard will not work on this machine. You need an XT keyboard.
        The plugs are the same, but the protocol is different. Some early AT
        keyboards also have a switch (sometimes hidden behind a little panel in th
        bottom) to switch between AT and XT modes.

        > The original CGA card has RCA plugs on it, and if I remember correctly,
        it should be composite video. But, I do believe that the composite video
        output does not support all video modes that the CGA card can do. Your best
        bet is to find a real monitor...

        > You can't connect the CGA card to a VGA monitor, but you CAN use (with
        limited color palette), an analog RGB monitor, such as the ones used on the
        Commodore Amiga. CGA is a digital RGB, and uses an intensity line. The
        analog monitors will display the digital signal, but can't use the
        intensity line - so all the "light" colors come out as the same color as
        their "bright" counterparts. It's usable though.

        > -Ian

      • Joe Giliberti
        Message 3 of 23 , Jun 1, 2009
          All I've done thus far is apply power to the power supply (which is original). What are the voltages supposed to be going into the mainboard? I want to check with a multimeter before hooking it to the motherboard.  It appears to have the co-processor installed. I do plan on doing a methodological, slow restore on it.

          Aside from resocketing chips and removing dust, what is the procedure for checking the motherboard?

          Joe

          On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 9:38 AM, Bill Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:

          May I add that this is quite a lucky find, you may never get such a rare
          system in the trash ever again, you take this as an opportunity to perform
          a serious restoration/save. Learn about what you have and make the most of
          the experience. Don't try to hook this up to the Internet, try to return
          the computer to original condition. Don't power this up until you're
          confident you have tested the power, removed all cards and unhooked power
          to the motherboard, etc.
          Bill

          > >there is a bit of rust on the cover, but not significant. I'm using a
          >random AT keyboard, as I do not have a model M
          >
          > An AT keyboard will not work on this machine. You need an XT keyboard.
          The plugs are the same, but the protocol is different. Some early AT
          keyboards also have a switch (sometimes hidden behind a little panel in th
          bottom) to switch between AT and XT modes.

          > The original CGA card has RCA plugs on it, and if I remember correctly,
          it should be composite video. But, I do believe that the composite video
          output does not support all video modes that the CGA card can do. Your best
          bet is to find a real monitor...

          > You can't connect the CGA card to a VGA monitor, but you CAN use (with
          limited color palette), an analog RGB monitor, such as the ones used on the
          Commodore Amiga. CGA is a digital RGB, and uses an intensity line. The
          analog monitors will display the digital signal, but can't use the
          intensity line - so all the "light" colors come out as the same color as
          their "bright" counterparts. It's usable though.

          > -Ian

        • Brian Cirulnick
          Message 4 of 23 , Jun 1, 2009

            > The original CGA card has RCA plugs on it, and if I remember correctly, it should be composite video. But, I do believe that the composite video output does not support all video modes that the CGA card can do. Your best bet is to find a real monitor...
            ------------------------------

            Which I have.

            Joe, I'm fairly certian (I'm at work right now and can't confirm) that I have an IBM manufactured CGA monitor (it's either color or monochrome) that's somewhat period correct.

            I need to test if it works, but it's yours if you want it. Then all you need to find is the correct keyboard for a complete system.

            Not sure where you live, but I'm in Belleville NJ, if you're willing to take a drive to my place one evening, you can pick it up.

            Either that, or wait for the next MARCH event, and I'll toss it your way then (keep reminding me, I forget easily).

            Let me know what you'd prefer.

            TTYL
            Brian C.
          • Joe Giliberti
            Message 5 of 23 , Jun 1, 2009
              Thank you!
              I think the next time at infoage is best, as I am 70 miles south of you, but I'll see if I feel like taking the drive someday.

              Thanks again
              Joe

              Message 6 of 23 , Jun 1, 2009

                > Not sure where you live, but I'm in Belleville NJ, if you're willing to take a drive to my place one evening, you can pick it up.
                >
                > Either that, or wait for the next MARCH event, and I'll toss it your way then (keep reminding me, I forget easily).
                >
                > Let me know what you'd prefer.
                >
                > TTYL
                > Brian C.

                Brian, why don't I get the monitor from you, then I'll bring it to the
                museum. Joe lives close the museum and often comes there on weekends.
              • Bill Degnan
                Message 7 of 23 , Jun 1, 2009
                  Joe,
                  Do you have a copy of the technical reference manual? If not I can copy
                  and scan the important pages. In the mean time can you take a picture of
                  the motherboard switches, and RAM? If not easy to do, can you just tell me
                  whether there are open RAM slots and what the switches are set to? I am
                  guessing it's a 64K + 512K with the QuadRAM card = 640K. With this you
                  could do almost anything. Lastly, what are the markings on the ROM chips
                  in U33? That will tell me if it has an upgraded ROM or the original. I am
                  going to guess that it's been upgraded.

                  I don't off hand know the voltages. The 8087 coprocessor is next to the
                  processor near the power connector.

                  Thanks
                  Bill

                  > All I've done thus far is apply power to the power supply (which is
                  > original). What are the voltages supposed to be going into the mainboard?
                  > want to check with a multimeter before hooking it to the motherboard.
                  It
                  > appears to have the co-processor installed. I do plan on doing a
                  > methodological, slow restore on it.
                  >
                  > Aside from resocketing chips and removing dust, what is the procedure
                  for
                  > checking the motherboard?
                  >
                  > Joe
                  >

                  > On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 9:38 AM, Bill Degnan <billdeg@...>
                  wrote:

                  > > May I add that this is quite a lucky find, you may never get such a
                  rare
                  > > system in the trash ever again, you take this as an opportunity to
                  perform
                  > > a serious restoration/save. Learn about what you have and make the most
                  of
                  > > the experience. Don't try to hook this up to the Internet, try to
                  return
                  > > the computer to original condition. Don't power this up until you're
                  > > confident you have tested the power, removed all cards and unhooked
                  power
                  > > to the motherboard, etc.
                  > > Bill

                  <ian_primus%40yahoo.com>>
                  midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com<midatlanticretro%40yahoogroups.com>

                  <Starbase89@...<Starbase89%40gmail.com>>

                  > > >random AT keyboard, as I do not have a model M
                  > > >
                  > > > An AT keyboard will not work on this machine. You need an XT
                  keyboard.
                  > > The plugs are the same, but the protocol is different. Some early AT
                  > > keyboards also have a switch (sometimes hidden behind a little panel in
                  th
                  > > bottom) to switch between AT and XT modes.
                  > > >
                  > > > The original CGA card has RCA plugs on it, and if I remember
                  correctly,
                  > > it should be composite video. But, I do believe that the composite
                  video
                  > > output does not support all video modes that the CGA card can do. Your
                  best

                  > > bet is to find a real monitor...
                  > > >
                  > > > You can't connect the CGA card to a VGA monitor, but you CAN use
                  (with
                  > > limited color palette), an analog RGB monitor, such as the ones used on
                  the

                  > > Commodore Amiga. CGA is a digital RGB, and uses an intensity line. The
                  > > analog monitors will display the digital signal, but can't use the
                  > > intensity line - so all the "light" colors come out as the same color
                  as
                  > > their "bright" counterparts. It's usable though.
                  > > >
                  > > > -Ian

                • Joe Giliberti
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jun 1, 2009
                    I downloaded a PDF copy of the technical manual last night. I'm guessing the onboard RAM are the 27 or so small chips near the front visible corner of the board? I'll get all relevant information you asked for, including switch positions, and get back to you.
                    Joe

                  • Brian Cirulnick
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jun 1, 2009

                      > > Not sure where you live, but I'm in Belleville NJ, if you're willing to take a drive to my place one evening, you can pick it up.
                      > >

                      > Brian, why don't I get the monitor from you, then I'll bring it to the
                      > museum. Joe lives close the museum and often comes there on weekends.

                      -------------------

                      Sure, we can arrange that. Let me just test that it works (I have an old Epson PC clone that uses CGA), and then I'll leave it in my kitchen so it's reminding me to call you to come get it...

                      Now if only I hadn't thrown out all those keyboards 7 years ago. (You guys would cry hearing about all I had to throw out when I closed my business in 2002)...

                      Ah well.

                      Anyhow; Evan, I'm available most evenings after 8pm. I think you have my cell phone #, if not, email my home e-mail and I'll send you that and my address..
                      Message 10 of 23 , Jun 1, 2009

                        > Evan, I'm available most evenings after 8pm. I think you have my cell phone #, if not, email my home e-mail and I'll send you that and my address..

                        Brian, can we meet at the mall (or some other central location) like we
                        did when you retrieved Chris' bag?
                      • Bill Degnan
                        Message 11 of 23 , Jun 1, 2009
                          Remember when you work with the manual not to confuse the directions and
                          settings for the 16K-64K board and the 64K-640K board. They're both in the
                          manual. I have more info on my web site, vintagecomputer.net/ibm. Also
                          search the blog for various notes and pictures about this model. I have
                          restored three of these models in the past 12 months.

                          Usually what kills them is the monitor card, usually if you replace the
                          card the system comes back to life. The other likely thing to go wrong is
                          RAM. I can teach you some tricks to locating the bad RAM and replacing.

                          Bill

                          > I downloaded a PDF copy of the technical manual last night. I'm guessing
                          the
                          > onboard RAM are the 27 or so small chips near the front visible corner
                          of
                          > the board? I'll get all relevant information you asked for, including
                          switch
                          > positions, and get back to you.
                          > Joe
                          >
                          > On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 2:55 PM, Bill Degnan <billdeg@...>
                          wrote:

                          > > Joe,
                          > > Do you have a copy of the technical reference manual? If not I can
                          copy
                          > > and scan the important pages. In the mean time can you take a picture
                          of
                          > > the motherboard switches, and RAM? If not easy to do, can you just tell
                          me
                          > > whether there are open RAM slots and what the switches are set to? I
                          am
                          > > guessing it's a 64K + 512K with the QuadRAM card = 640K. With this you
                          > > could do almost anything. Lastly, what are the markings on the ROM
                          chips
                          > > in U33? That will tell me if it has an upgraded ROM or the original. I
                          am
                          > > going to guess that it's been upgraded.
                          > >
                          > > I don't off hand know the voltages. The 8087 coprocessor is next to
                          the
                          > > processor near the power connector.
                          > >
                          > > Thanks
                          > > Bill

                          <Starbase89%40gmail.com>>

                          <billdeg@...<billdeg%40degnanco.com>>

                          > > rare
                          > > perform
                          > >
                          > > of
                          > > return
                          > > power

                          <ian_primus%40yahoo.com>
                          > > <ian_primus%40yahoo.com>>
                          > > midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com <midatlanticretro%40yahoogroups.com>
                          > > <midatlanticretro%40yahoogroups.com>

                          > > <Starbase89@...
                          <Starbase89%40gmail.com><Starbase89%40gmail.com>>

                          Message 12 of 23 , Jun 1, 2009
                            Evan, I'm available most evenings after 8pm. I think you have my cell phone #, if not, email my home e-mail and I'll send you that and my address..

                            Brian, can we meet at the mall (or some other central location) like we
                            did when you retrieved Chris' bag?

                            Sorry to bog down the list in details.  I meant to reply to Brian off-list.
                          • Joe Giliberti
                            Message 13 of 23 , Jun 1, 2009
                              Here's as much info as I can pull off the mainboard

                              Machine Serial:
                              0177038

                              On the planar:

                              SW1
                              on on on on off on on off

                              SW2
                              on off on on off off off off

                              U28
                              Empty Socket

                              U29
                              MK35748 J
                              5700019
                              ZA
                              (copyright) IBM 1981
                              D Malaysia
                              8135 Q

                              U30
                              5700027
                              (copyright) IBM 1981
                              XE
                              (motorola symbol) 8201BNM

                              U31
                              (motorola symbol) 5700035
                              (copyright) IBM 1981
                              XE8135ANM

                              U32
                              MK36728 P
                              5700043
                              ZA
                              (copyright) IBM 1981
                              D Malaysia
                              8142 D

                              U33
                              MK36C35N-4
                              1501476
                              ZA
                              (copyright) IBM CORP
                              1981, 1983
                              D Malaysia

                              U34
                              (not socketed)
                              NEC
                              PIY229-147
                              D8253C-5

                              Has a total of 36 of what I believe to be memory chips. Nine are soldered direct to the board, the remaining 27 are socketed
                              The chips are marked:

                              (AMD symbol) AM9016DPC
                              8144WPP

                              All 36 are the same chips

                              Message 14 of 23 , Jun 1, 2009
                                U33
                                MK36C35N-4
                                1501476
                                ZA
                                (copyright) IBM CORP
                                1981, 1983
                                D Malaysia

                                Tells you it's a 2nd REV16K-64K (upgraded) ROM set.  The first rev did not have a routine for using hard drives, and some other things so most people upgraded the ROMS so they could use newer parts and memory.

                                Here's as much info as I can pull off the mainboard

                                Machine Serial:
                                0177038
                                this year I worked on the following other 16-64K boards, so yours is right in there among them, definitely an original, probably from late 1981 early 1983.:

                                0159618
                                0239462
                                0192592 (MARCH's with original ROMS)

                                On the planar:

                                SW1
                                on on on on off on on off

                                SW2
                                on off on on off off off off

                                you have a full complement of RAM (64K) on the motherboard.

                                I assume you have SW1 reversed.  Up means "on" if facing from the front looking down.
                                If you have a co-processor, two drives, CGA monitor then SW1 should be: [off on -- -- on off off on] (where pertains to RAM).

                                If SW1's 5 is up and 6 down  - that means CGA display.  Monochrome 5 and 6 are down.  Never mix and match without first changing the switches before powering on.  Otherwise you will fry the board and short the system.

                                Math co-processor 2 = up/on.

                                In a nutshell it looks like you have a standard configuration, no changes needed assuming you use a CGA monitor.  Don't try to use monochrome with these settings.  Someone did that to MARCH's 5150, and we had to replace the display card as a result.

                                Hope this helps.

                                Bill

                              • Joe Giliberti
                                Message 15 of 23 , Jun 1, 2009
                                  Thanks for the info, Bill
                                  Some more questions

                                  Does it matter whether I take video from the CGA port or the composite?
                                  So I could, if I wished, install an MFM hard drive/controller, or perhaps a hardcard. Correct?
                                  Also, due to the different ROM, will it support a full 640k, or the 544k from the first gen?

                                  Joe

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Jun 2, 2009
                                    Joe Giliberti wrote:
                                    Thanks for the info, Bill
                                    Some more questions

                                    Does it matter whether I take video from the CGA port or the composite?
                                    only use a real cga monitor in the CGA port.  do not use the composite.

                                    So I could, if I wished, install an MFM hard drive/controller, or perhaps a hardcard. Correct?
                                    yes but this system did not come with a hard drive and would not be in the spirit of what it was originally.

                                    Also, due to the different ROM, will it support a full 640k, or the 544k from the first gen?

                                    full 640.  Should be at 640K now.
                                    Joe

                                    P.S. - Evan - the disk you gave me for the IBM at MARCH has some bare spots, the drive needs to be cleaned or replaced.    Do we have any replacement Tandon 100-2a drives at MARCH?

                                    Message 17 of 23 , Jun 2, 2009
                                      > Evan - the disk you gave me for the IBM at MARCH has some bare spots,
                                      > the drive needs to be cleaned or replaced. Do we have any
                                      > replacement Tandon 100-2a drives at MARCH?
                                      I don't know.
                                    • Mr Ian Primus
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Jun 2, 2009

                                        > > Evan - the disk you gave me for
                                        > the IBM at MARCH has some bare spots,
                                        > > the drive needs to be cleaned or replaced.
                                        >   Do we have any
                                        > > replacement Tandon 100-2a drives at MARCH?
                                        > I don't know.

                                        The drive probably just needs a good cleaning. I've never seen a Tandon in an IBM fail so badly as to scrape up disks. The heads are probably just really dirty. Also, the disk itself could have been compromised - some brands are more apt to start shedding oxide with age.

                                        -Ian
                                      • Bill Degnan
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Jun 2, 2009