Re: [midatlanticretro] makeshift IBM monitor

  • Joe Giliberti
    Message 1 of 23 , May 31, 2009
      there is a bit of rust on the cover, but not significant. I'm using a random AT keyboard, as I do not have a model M

      On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 10:13 PM, B Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:

      Joe Giliberti wrote:
      I picked up a 5150 from someone's bulk pickup pile. The motherboard is marked as 16-64KB. It has two 5.25" full height drives. It has markings that indicate that it was used by Bendix. It has a color graphics board, and two boards made by Quadram. I have no CGA monitor. What does the RCA connector on the graphics board put out? Is it composite, RF, or something else? If not, can a VGA be adapted?

      Thanks
      Wow you found an original "A" model in the trash!  Great find.  Worth preserving.  Best thing to do is find a CGA monitor from IBM.  You could sell this for $250 if you get it running.

        Message 3 of 23 , Jun 1, 2009
          --- On Sun, 5/31/09, Joe Giliberti <Starbase89@...> wrote:

          >there is a bit of rust on the cover, but not significant. I'm using a >random AT keyboard, as I do not have a model M

          An AT keyboard will not work on this machine. You need an XT keyboard. The plugs are the same, but the protocol is different. Some early AT keyboards also have a switch (sometimes hidden behind a little panel in th bottom) to switch between AT and XT modes.

          The original CGA card has RCA plugs on it, and if I remember correctly, it should be composite video. But, I do believe that the composite video output does not support all video modes that the CGA card can do. Your best bet is to find a real monitor...

          You can't connect the CGA card to a VGA monitor, but you CAN use (with limited color palette), an analog RGB monitor, such as the ones used on the Commodore Amiga. CGA is a digital RGB, and uses an intensity line. The analog monitors will display the digital signal, but can't use the intensity line - so all the "light" colors come out as the same color as their "bright" counterparts. It's usable though.

          -Ian
        • Bill Degnan
          Message 4 of 23 , Jun 1, 2009
            May I add that this is quite a lucky find, you may never get such a rare
            system in the trash ever again, you take this as an opportunity to perform
            a serious restoration/save. Learn about what you have and make the most of
            the experience. Don't try to hook this up to the Internet, try to return
            the computer to original condition. Don't power this up until you're
            confident you have tested the power, removed all cards and unhooked power
            to the motherboard, etc.
            Bill

            > >there is a bit of rust on the cover, but not significant. I'm using a
            >random AT keyboard, as I do not have a model M
            >
            > An AT keyboard will not work on this machine. You need an XT keyboard.
            The plugs are the same, but the protocol is different. Some early AT
            keyboards also have a switch (sometimes hidden behind a little panel in th
            bottom) to switch between AT and XT modes.

            > The original CGA card has RCA plugs on it, and if I remember correctly,
            it should be composite video. But, I do believe that the composite video
            output does not support all video modes that the CGA card can do. Your best
            bet is to find a real monitor...

            > You can't connect the CGA card to a VGA monitor, but you CAN use (with
            limited color palette), an analog RGB monitor, such as the ones used on the
            Commodore Amiga. CGA is a digital RGB, and uses an intensity line. The
            analog monitors will display the digital signal, but can't use the
            intensity line - so all the "light" colors come out as the same color as
            their "bright" counterparts. It's usable though.

            > -Ian

          • Joe Giliberti
            Message 5 of 23 , Jun 1, 2009
              All I've done thus far is apply power to the power supply (which is original). What are the voltages supposed to be going into the mainboard? I want to check with a multimeter before hooking it to the motherboard.  It appears to have the co-processor installed. I do plan on doing a methodological, slow restore on it.

              Aside from resocketing chips and removing dust, what is the procedure for checking the motherboard?

              Joe

              On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 9:38 AM, Bill Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:

              May I add that this is quite a lucky find, you may never get such a rare
              system in the trash ever again, you take this as an opportunity to perform
              a serious restoration/save. Learn about what you have and make the most of
              the experience. Don't try to hook this up to the Internet, try to return
              the computer to original condition. Don't power this up until you're
              confident you have tested the power, removed all cards and unhooked power
              to the motherboard, etc.
              Bill

              > >there is a bit of rust on the cover, but not significant. I'm using a
              >random AT keyboard, as I do not have a model M
              >
              > An AT keyboard will not work on this machine. You need an XT keyboard.
              The plugs are the same, but the protocol is different. Some early AT
              keyboards also have a switch (sometimes hidden behind a little panel in th
              bottom) to switch between AT and XT modes.

              > The original CGA card has RCA plugs on it, and if I remember correctly,
              it should be composite video. But, I do believe that the composite video
              output does not support all video modes that the CGA card can do. Your best
              bet is to find a real monitor...

              > You can't connect the CGA card to a VGA monitor, but you CAN use (with
              limited color palette), an analog RGB monitor, such as the ones used on the
              Commodore Amiga. CGA is a digital RGB, and uses an intensity line. The
              analog monitors will display the digital signal, but can't use the
              intensity line - so all the "light" colors come out as the same color as
              their "bright" counterparts. It's usable though.

              > -Ian

            • Brian Cirulnick
              Message 6 of 23 , Jun 1, 2009

                > The original CGA card has RCA plugs on it, and if I remember correctly, it should be composite video. But, I do believe that the composite video output does not support all video modes that the CGA card can do. Your best bet is to find a real monitor...
                ------------------------------

                Which I have.

                Joe, I'm fairly certian (I'm at work right now and can't confirm) that I have an IBM manufactured CGA monitor (it's either color or monochrome) that's somewhat period correct.

                I need to test if it works, but it's yours if you want it. Then all you need to find is the correct keyboard for a complete system.

                Not sure where you live, but I'm in Belleville NJ, if you're willing to take a drive to my place one evening, you can pick it up.

                Either that, or wait for the next MARCH event, and I'll toss it your way then (keep reminding me, I forget easily).

                Let me know what you'd prefer.

                TTYL
                Brian C.
              • Joe Giliberti
                Message 7 of 23 , Jun 1, 2009
                  Thank you!
                  I think the next time at infoage is best, as I am 70 miles south of you, but I'll see if I feel like taking the drive someday.

                  Thanks again
                  Joe

                  Message 8 of 23 , Jun 1, 2009

                    > Not sure where you live, but I'm in Belleville NJ, if you're willing to take a drive to my place one evening, you can pick it up.
                    >
                    > Either that, or wait for the next MARCH event, and I'll toss it your way then (keep reminding me, I forget easily).
                    >
                    > Let me know what you'd prefer.
                    >
                    > TTYL
                    > Brian C.

                    Brian, why don't I get the monitor from you, then I'll bring it to the
                    museum. Joe lives close the museum and often comes there on weekends.
                  • Bill Degnan
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jun 1, 2009
                      Joe,
                      Do you have a copy of the technical reference manual? If not I can copy
                      and scan the important pages. In the mean time can you take a picture of
                      the motherboard switches, and RAM? If not easy to do, can you just tell me
                      whether there are open RAM slots and what the switches are set to? I am
                      guessing it's a 64K + 512K with the QuadRAM card = 640K. With this you
                      could do almost anything. Lastly, what are the markings on the ROM chips
                      in U33? That will tell me if it has an upgraded ROM or the original. I am
                      going to guess that it's been upgraded.

                      I don't off hand know the voltages. The 8087 coprocessor is next to the
                      processor near the power connector.

                      Thanks
                      Bill

                      > All I've done thus far is apply power to the power supply (which is
                      > original). What are the voltages supposed to be going into the mainboard?
                      > want to check with a multimeter before hooking it to the motherboard.
                      It
                      > appears to have the co-processor installed. I do plan on doing a
                      > methodological, slow restore on it.
                      >
                      > Aside from resocketing chips and removing dust, what is the procedure
                      for
                      > checking the motherboard?
                      >
                      > Joe
                      >

                      > On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 9:38 AM, Bill Degnan <billdeg@...>
                      wrote:

                      > > May I add that this is quite a lucky find, you may never get such a
                      rare
                      > > system in the trash ever again, you take this as an opportunity to
                      perform
                      > > a serious restoration/save. Learn about what you have and make the most
                      of
                      > > the experience. Don't try to hook this up to the Internet, try to
                      return
                      > > the computer to original condition. Don't power this up until you're
                      > > confident you have tested the power, removed all cards and unhooked
                      power
                      > > to the motherboard, etc.
                      > > Bill

                      <ian_primus%40yahoo.com>>
                      midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com<midatlanticretro%40yahoogroups.com>

                      <Starbase89@...<Starbase89%40gmail.com>>

                      > > >random AT keyboard, as I do not have a model M
                      > > >
                      > > > An AT keyboard will not work on this machine. You need an XT
                      keyboard.
                      > > The plugs are the same, but the protocol is different. Some early AT
                      > > keyboards also have a switch (sometimes hidden behind a little panel in
                      th
                      > > bottom) to switch between AT and XT modes.
                      > > >
                      > > > The original CGA card has RCA plugs on it, and if I remember
                      correctly,
                      > > it should be composite video. But, I do believe that the composite
                      video
                      > > output does not support all video modes that the CGA card can do. Your
                      best

                      > > bet is to find a real monitor...
                      > > >
                      > > > You can't connect the CGA card to a VGA monitor, but you CAN use
                      (with
                      > > limited color palette), an analog RGB monitor, such as the ones used on
                      the

                      > > Commodore Amiga. CGA is a digital RGB, and uses an intensity line. The
                      > > analog monitors will display the digital signal, but can't use the
                      > > intensity line - so all the "light" colors come out as the same color
                      as
                      > > their "bright" counterparts. It's usable though.
                      > > >
                      > > > -Ian

                    • Joe Giliberti
                      Message 10 of 23 , Jun 1, 2009
                        I downloaded a PDF copy of the technical manual last night. I'm guessing the onboard RAM are the 27 or so small chips near the front visible corner of the board? I'll get all relevant information you asked for, including switch positions, and get back to you.
                        Joe

                      • Brian Cirulnick
                        Message 11 of 23 , Jun 1, 2009

                          > > Not sure where you live, but I'm in Belleville NJ, if you're willing to take a drive to my place one evening, you can pick it up.
                          > >

                          > Brian, why don't I get the monitor from you, then I'll bring it to the
                          > museum. Joe lives close the museum and often comes there on weekends.

                          -------------------

                          Sure, we can arrange that. Let me just test that it works (I have an old Epson PC clone that uses CGA), and then I'll leave it in my kitchen so it's reminding me to call you to come get it...

                          Now if only I hadn't thrown out all those keyboards 7 years ago. (You guys would cry hearing about all I had to throw out when I closed my business in 2002)...

                          Ah well.

                          Anyhow; Evan, I'm available most evenings after 8pm. I think you have my cell phone #, if not, email my home e-mail and I'll send you that and my address..
                          Message 12 of 23 , Jun 1, 2009

                            > Evan, I'm available most evenings after 8pm. I think you have my cell phone #, if not, email my home e-mail and I'll send you that and my address..

                            Brian, can we meet at the mall (or some other central location) like we
                            did when you retrieved Chris' bag?
                          • Bill Degnan
                            Message 13 of 23 , Jun 1, 2009
                              Remember when you work with the manual not to confuse the directions and
                              settings for the 16K-64K board and the 64K-640K board. They're both in the
                              manual. I have more info on my web site, vintagecomputer.net/ibm. Also
                              search the blog for various notes and pictures about this model. I have
                              restored three of these models in the past 12 months.

                              Usually what kills them is the monitor card, usually if you replace the
                              card the system comes back to life. The other likely thing to go wrong is
                              RAM. I can teach you some tricks to locating the bad RAM and replacing.

                              Bill

                              > I downloaded a PDF copy of the technical manual last night. I'm guessing
                              the
                              > onboard RAM are the 27 or so small chips near the front visible corner
                              of
                              > the board? I'll get all relevant information you asked for, including
                              switch
                              > positions, and get back to you.
                              > Joe
                              >
                              > On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 2:55 PM, Bill Degnan <billdeg@...>
                              wrote:

                              > > Joe,
                              > > Do you have a copy of the technical reference manual? If not I can
                              copy
                              > > and scan the important pages. In the mean time can you take a picture
                              of
                              > > the motherboard switches, and RAM? If not easy to do, can you just tell
                              me
                              > > whether there are open RAM slots and what the switches are set to? I
                              am
                              > > guessing it's a 64K + 512K with the QuadRAM card = 640K. With this you
                              > > could do almost anything. Lastly, what are the markings on the ROM
                              chips
                              > > in U33? That will tell me if it has an upgraded ROM or the original. I
                              am
                              > > going to guess that it's been upgraded.
                              > >
                              > > I don't off hand know the voltages. The 8087 coprocessor is next to
                              the
                              > > processor near the power connector.
                              > >
                              > > Thanks
                              > > Bill

                              <Starbase89%40gmail.com>>

                              <billdeg@...<billdeg%40degnanco.com>>

                              > > rare
                              > > perform
                              > >
                              > > of
                              > > return
                              > > power

                              <ian_primus%40yahoo.com>
                              > > <ian_primus%40yahoo.com>>
                              > > midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com <midatlanticretro%40yahoogroups.com>
                              > > <midatlanticretro%40yahoogroups.com>

                              > > <Starbase89@...
                              <Starbase89%40gmail.com><Starbase89%40gmail.com>>

                              Message 14 of 23 , Jun 1, 2009
                                Evan, I'm available most evenings after 8pm. I think you have my cell phone #, if not, email my home e-mail and I'll send you that and my address..

                                Brian, can we meet at the mall (or some other central location) like we
                                did when you retrieved Chris' bag?

                                Sorry to bog down the list in details.  I meant to reply to Brian off-list.
                              • Joe Giliberti
                                Message 15 of 23 , Jun 1, 2009
                                  Here's as much info as I can pull off the mainboard

                                  Machine Serial:
                                  0177038

                                  On the planar:

                                  SW1
                                  on on on on off on on off

                                  SW2
                                  on off on on off off off off

                                  U28
                                  Empty Socket

                                  U29
                                  MK35748 J
                                  5700019
                                  ZA
                                  (copyright) IBM 1981
                                  D Malaysia
                                  8135 Q

                                  U30
                                  5700027
                                  (copyright) IBM 1981
                                  XE
                                  (motorola symbol) 8201BNM

                                  U31
                                  (motorola symbol) 5700035
                                  (copyright) IBM 1981
                                  XE8135ANM

                                  U32
                                  MK36728 P
                                  5700043
                                  ZA
                                  (copyright) IBM 1981
                                  D Malaysia
                                  8142 D

                                  U33
                                  MK36C35N-4
                                  1501476
                                  ZA
                                  (copyright) IBM CORP
                                  1981, 1983
                                  D Malaysia

                                  U34
                                  (not socketed)
                                  NEC
                                  PIY229-147
                                  D8253C-5

                                  Has a total of 36 of what I believe to be memory chips. Nine are soldered direct to the board, the remaining 27 are socketed
                                  The chips are marked:

                                  (AMD symbol) AM9016DPC
                                  8144WPP

                                  All 36 are the same chips

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Jun 1, 2009
                                    U33
                                    MK36C35N-4
                                    1501476
                                    ZA
                                    (copyright) IBM CORP
                                    1981, 1983
                                    D Malaysia

                                    Tells you it's a 2nd REV16K-64K (upgraded) ROM set.  The first rev did not have a routine for using hard drives, and some other things so most people upgraded the ROMS so they could use newer parts and memory.

                                    Here's as much info as I can pull off the mainboard

                                    Machine Serial:
                                    0177038
                                    this year I worked on the following other 16-64K boards, so yours is right in there among them, definitely an original, probably from late 1981 early 1983.:

                                    0159618
                                    0239462
                                    0192592 (MARCH's with original ROMS)

                                    On the planar:

                                    SW1
                                    on on on on off on on off

                                    SW2
                                    on off on on off off off off

                                    you have a full complement of RAM (64K) on the motherboard.

                                    I assume you have SW1 reversed.  Up means "on" if facing from the front looking down.
                                    If you have a co-processor, two drives, CGA monitor then SW1 should be: [off on -- -- on off off on] (where pertains to RAM).

                                    If SW1's 5 is up and 6 down  - that means CGA display.  Monochrome 5 and 6 are down.  Never mix and match without first changing the switches before powering on.  Otherwise you will fry the board and short the system.

                                    Math co-processor 2 = up/on.

                                    In a nutshell it looks like you have a standard configuration, no changes needed assuming you use a CGA monitor.  Don't try to use monochrome with these settings.  Someone did that to MARCH's 5150, and we had to replace the display card as a result.

                                    Hope this helps.

                                    Bill

                                  • Joe Giliberti
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Jun 1, 2009
                                      Thanks for the info, Bill
                                      Some more questions

                                      Does it matter whether I take video from the CGA port or the composite?
                                      So I could, if I wished, install an MFM hard drive/controller, or perhaps a hardcard. Correct?
                                      Also, due to the different ROM, will it support a full 640k, or the 544k from the first gen?

                                      Joe

                                      Message 18 of 23 , Jun 2, 2009
                                        Joe Giliberti wrote:
                                        Thanks for the info, Bill
                                        Some more questions

                                        Does it matter whether I take video from the CGA port or the composite?
                                        only use a real cga monitor in the CGA port.  do not use the composite.

                                        So I could, if I wished, install an MFM hard drive/controller, or perhaps a hardcard. Correct?
                                        yes but this system did not come with a hard drive and would not be in the spirit of what it was originally.

                                        Also, due to the different ROM, will it support a full 640k, or the 544k from the first gen?

                                        full 640.  Should be at 640K now.
                                        Joe

                                        P.S. - Evan - the disk you gave me for the IBM at MARCH has some bare spots, the drive needs to be cleaned or replaced.    Do we have any replacement Tandon 100-2a drives at MARCH?

                                        Message 19 of 23 , Jun 2, 2009
                                          > Evan - the disk you gave me for the IBM at MARCH has some bare spots,
                                          > the drive needs to be cleaned or replaced. Do we have any
                                          > replacement Tandon 100-2a drives at MARCH?
                                          I don't know.
                                        • Mr Ian Primus
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Jun 2, 2009

                                            > > Evan - the disk you gave me for
                                            > the IBM at MARCH has some bare spots,
                                            > > the drive needs to be cleaned or replaced.
                                            >   Do we have any
                                            > > replacement Tandon 100-2a drives at MARCH?
                                            > I don't know.

                                            The drive probably just needs a good cleaning. I've never seen a Tandon in an IBM fail so badly as to scrape up disks. The heads are probably just really dirty. Also, the disk itself could have been compromised - some brands are more apt to start shedding oxide with age.

                                            -Ian
                                          • Bill Degnan
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Jun 2, 2009