weekend wrap-up

    Message 1 of 5 , May 31, 2009
      Awesome weekend with MARCHins @ InfoAge.

      People trickled in throughout Saturday afternoon. Just like at the
      winter party, we set up a bunch of tables, including a "freebies" table,
      along with a food table and a very large cooler full of ice, beer, and soda.

      Lunch was pizza; dinner was burgers. Jeff Brace supplied the grill and
      charcoal and stuff. Joe played chef and did a great job. I led the
      crew on a tour of the H-buildings and beyond, which few MARCHins other
      than Andy and I have ever seen.

      At night we watched Spaceballs on a giant screen (joined by Steve G.,
      and by Dan and Niel from the diving club) and played Wiffleball in one
      of the mostly empty H-buildings. Other people used the time to work on
      fixing computers.

      We finally crashed after 2am. Cleaned up some, turned off all the
      lights, locked the hotel, locked the main InfoAge gate, and went across
      the street to the cottage. A bunch of people went home, but some of us
      stayed over -- me, Mike "Mouser" Kelly, Ian, Bill Dromgoole, and Jeff
      Brace. We hung for a little while longer in the cottage living room and
      .... wait, WHERE'S IAN!!!???? We lost him!!

      Apparently he was in the bathroom whilst we cleaned, turned off the
      lights, locked up, and left for the night.

      Ian was also very tired and actually fell asleep earlier in the night,
      so there was some fear that we'd find him outside behind the museum,
      face-down in a pool of his own vomit .... alas, he was just wandering
      around and quite confused. :)

      New plan: go rescue Ian.

      Then back to the cottage and off to sleep. Jeff F. joined us and
      leaving for a detour earlier in the day.

      We all went to breakfast around 11:30, then came back. We opened the
      museum for the day (regular hours) while Bill Drom., Mike, Ian, and Jeff
      B. worked on some Commodores.

      Finally called it a weekend around 4:30.

      Big thanks to everyone who came! Fun times. :)
      Message 2 of 5 , May 31, 2009

        > We all went to breakfast around 11:30, then came back. We opened the
        > museum for the day (regular hours) while Bill Drom., Mike, Ian, and Jeff
        > B. worked on some Commodores.

        I always forget a detail! What I forgot this time -- Joe performed a
        tedious job for us -- he individually cleaned all the keys on our
        Burroughs B-80 minicomputer, and fixed a framed poster.
        Message 3 of 5 , May 31, 2009

          > there was some fear that we'd find him outside behind the museum, face-down in a pool of his own vomit

          Not really. :-) But he didn't want us to tell the embarrassing story
          about getting locked inside, so we decided to embellish slightly.
        • arkaxow
          Message 4 of 5 , May 31, 2009
            There is more to this. After you went to sleep Jeff F. returned about 2:30 in the morning with his friend from Georgia. We talked for a bit then, we tried to figure out how to get the TV to work since the remote batteries were dead and the "on" button was broken. So Mike set up his laptop on top of the TV and we watched the first episode of "True Blood" an HBO tv show. I was falling asleep so I turned in around 4am and everyone else was still watching it. I think the rest went to bed around 4:30. Then some woke up early like 7am, and 8:30 before the rest of us stumbled out of bed around 11am or so.

            It was good fun all around. I enjoyed it and got a lot out of it.

            > Then back to the cottage and off to sleep. Jeff F. joined us and
            > leaving for a detour earlier in the day.
            >
            > We all went to breakfast around 11:30, then came back. We opened the
            > museum for the day (regular hours) while Bill Drom., Mike, Ian, and Jeff
            > B. worked on some Commodores.
            >
            > Finally called it a weekend around 4:30.
            >
            > Big thanks to everyone who came! Fun times. :)

          • Mike Loewen
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 1, 2009
              Reminder - I will be hosting a Vintage Computer Workshop in State
              College, PA on Saturday and Sunday, June 13th and 14th. Bill Degnan, Dan
              Roganti and I will be working on various vintage computing projects, with
              parts and test equipment on hand. Anyone willing to make the drive is
              welcome to attend.

              Mike Loewen mloewen@...