RE: [midatlanticretro] starting out

  • Evan
    Message 1 of 21 , Sep 20, 2005
      Joe, see my off-list reply.

      From: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com [mailto:midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Joe Giliberti
      Sent: Tuesday, September 20, 2005 1:32 PM
      To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] starting out

      Evan wrote:
      Joe,

      Welcome to our hobby and club!

      How did you learn about us?  Where in the mid-atlantic region do you live?

      Who am I: Besides running MARCH, I'm also the editor of Computer Collector Newsletter, which has worldwide readership.

      Anyway, you'll find that most collectors either get a little of everything and anything, or they pick a specialty and become experts in it.  For example, I chose the latter route -- I collect vintage handhelds and laptops almost exclusively.

      I suggest that you join the mailing list called "cctalk" based at www.classiccmp.org -- that's the largest global mailing list for the hobby.  You can also use the web forum at www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum, which in addition has classified ads.  Other ads are at www.vintagecomputermarketplace.com, and you should buy Michael Nadeau's book "Collectible Microcomputers", both as noted by Bill Degnan.  And as you found, the site www.old-computers.com is a great online encyclopedia.

      Keep in mind that there's much more to collect besides microcomputers.  Many people get into minicomputers, and many people keep into the various kinds of software, chips, literature/books, I/O devices, storage, etc.

      As for MARCH, we have members all over the region, and spanning the whole range of vintage computing interests.  We also have live events a few times each year.  Currently we're planning a physical museum in Wall Township, N.J., and we're also planning to host a "light" version of the famous Vintage Computer Festival (vintage.org) next spring.

      Any questions?  Just ask!

      -- Evan Koblentz, a.k.a. "club prez because no one else was dumb enough to take the gig"

      Message 2 of 21 , Sep 20, 2005
        Remember to trim long replies and threads.

        - EK

        Message 3 of 21 , Sep 20, 2005
          Hey Jim, if the Gazelle can take S-100 cards, couldn't you plug a
          video card in, or is that not supported by the bios. I imagine there
          must have been either S-100 or multibus video cards offered (I realize
          they're not the same thing though). Then there's the problem of
          drivers I guess...
        • Joe Giliberti
          Message 4 of 21 , Sep 20, 2005
            chrism3667 wrote:
            Hey Jim, if the Gazelle can take S-100 cards, couldn't you plug a
            video card in, or is that not supported by the bios. I imagine there
            must have been either S-100 or multibus video cards offered (I realize
            they're not the same thing though). Then there's the problem of
            drivers I guess...

            Just out of curiousity, what is an S-100 card?

            -Joe
          • billdeg@aol.com
            Message 5 of 21 , Sep 20, 2005
              S-100 was a leading "bus" standard for comptuer cards of the mid 70's through
              early 80's. Bus is another way to say how input/output is routed into the
              computer processor, etc.

              Basically they were just like computer cards that you stuck into a computer
              today, and they had 50 double sided connectors (50x2 = 100). You can't put an
              S-100 card in a modern computer. They had different dimensions than today's
              cards, but they served the same purpose - add capabilities to a "base" system.
              For example you could get an S-100 memory card to add more memory to your
              computer. In those day's an S-100 memory card might only contain 16K.

              I am not personally aware of any major system that was launched to feature
              the S-100 (IEEE 696) bus much past 1980, but i do have electronics magazines
              with ads selling S-100 cards well into the 80's.
              Here is a link:
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-100_bus
              ...with an official definition and more details.

              Bill

              In a message dated 9/20/2005 11:55:49 PM Eastern Standard Time,
              starbase89@... writes:

              > Just out of curiousity, what is an S-100 card?
              >
              > -Joe
            • Chris M
              Message 6 of 21 , Sep 21, 2005

                > Just out of curiousity, what is an S-100 card?
                >
                > -Joe

                Joe...today we have AGP and PCI card slots (buses).
                In the past there was ISA, first 8-bit (IBM PC), then
                16-bit (IBM AT), then Micro Channel (PS/2), EISA, VESA
                local bus, etc. There was NUBUS on the early
                expandable Macs. The purpose of a bus is to gain
                access to the microprocessors own bus, a set of pins
                that allow access to it's innards, and a way of it
                gaining access to external peripherals. Running
                between the micro and memory (ram or rom) is also a
                bus, but it's so generic it doesn't need a special
                name (the address/data bus, and the lines are common).
                Expansion buses can also be proprietary. Cartridges
                for consoles and puters are a bus system of their own,
                but for the most part only tie into the address/data
                pins. Essentially you're plugging in a new rom. IIRC
                the Commodore 64 had something in addition to it's
                cartridge slots. Many things could be interfaced in
                that way, including data collection hardware, radio
                packet stuph, etc. My heads starting to hurt...

                __________________________________
                http://mail.yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 21 , Sep 21, 2005
                  Chris,

                  Maybe. Probably.

                  You answered your own question. The Gazelle doesn't have BIOS in the sence of
                  what IBM put in the original PC. There is only a ROM monitor program that
                  behaves like the DOS debug program. When you turn the machine on, the monitor
                  has control. Assuming you have the floppy drives connected and a bootable
                  floppy, you then press a reset button on the front panel and the monitor
                  tries to find something from which to boot the machine. I have no idea if any
                  of this will work today. If the machine does boot, the DOS is 2.0 so it
                  supports loadable device drivers. When I last played with the machine I was
                  trying to connect a hard drive to a MFM controller. My problem, like I told
                  you when you were here, is that I never could interface an 8" floppy to a
                  regular PC to get new programs (like device drivers) to the Seattle.

                  The Gazelle's 8" floppies have 1024 byte sectors, not the 512 used by just
                  about ever other DOS machine on the planet. If I had connected an 8" floppy
                  to a PC, the sector size would become the next challenge.

                  I should look for all that stuff before it's lost forever.

                  Jim

                  Message 8 of 21 , Sep 21, 2005
                    Joe,

                    The MITS Altair 8800 (the first personal computer?) had its circuits on
                    plug-in cards that were inserted into a chassis with a row of sockets. The
                    cards had 100 connectors. Other computers like the Apple II and the original
                    IBM PC also used an expandible (but different) architecture that allowed
                    plugging expansion cards into a bus. The Altair bus became known as the S100
                    standard, like the PC bus became known as ISA (industry standard
                    architecture). Many manufacturers supported the S100 bus back in the days of
                    CP/M. Seattle Computing was one of the few to make an S100 processor board
                    with an 8086. Type "s100 bus" into any search engine for moree info.

                    Jim
                  • Vintage Computer Festival
                    Message 9 of 21 , Sep 21, 2005
                      On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 billdeg@... wrote:

                      > I am not personally aware of any major system that was launched to feature
                      > the S-100 (IEEE 696) bus much past 1980, but i do have electronics magazines
                      > with ads selling S-100 cards well into the 80's.

                      Actually, the S-100 (IEEE-696) standard survived well into the 1990s. I
                      have some magazines (Microsystems maybe?) that still had articles and
                      advertisements for S-100 stuff in the early 1990s. I'm sure there are
                      still many S-100 bus machines running critical applications to this day.

                      --

                      Sellam Ismail Vintage Computer Festival

                    • Joe Giliberti
                      Message 10 of 21 , Sep 21, 2005

                        Actually, the S-100 (IEEE-696) standard survived well into the 1990s.  I
                        have some magazines (Microsystems maybe?) that still had articles and
                        advertisements for S-100 stuff in the early 1990s.  I'm sure there are
                        still many S-100 bus machines running critical applications to this day.

                        But isn't s-100 even slower than ISA?
                      • Chris M
                        Message 11 of 21 , Sep 21, 2005
                          probably, 1 mhz, 4 mhz, whatever. For the applications
                          that are operating on s-100 systems, I'm sure speed
                          isn't critical. CNC (Computer Numerical Control) for
                          instance doesn't require alot of speed (CNC lathes,
                          mills, etc.). Often these apps are programmed in
                          interpreted (as opposed to compiled) BASIC.
                          Interpreted languages are popular in robotic systems.

                          Message 12 of 21 , Sep 21, 2005
                            --- Jim Scheef <jscheef@...> wrote:

                            > If the machine does boot,
                            > the DOS is 2.0 so it
                            > supports loadable device drivers.

                            I would have guessed that it's version of DOS is
                            customized just like all the sort-of-compatibles. But
                            I had thought that MS-DOS utilizes (perhaps heavily)
                            the programming interfaces built into the bios rom. I
                            could be wrong. But if that's so, I'm surprised there
                            was a version of DOS available for it at all. Was
                            there a DOS available for Multibus 8086 systems?
                            Regardless of the fact that it runs DOS 2.0, I think
                            it's a function of the bios to search for a rom
                            associated with a graphics controller.

                            > The Gazelle's 8" floppies have 1024 byte sectors,
                            > not the 512 used by just
                            > about ever other DOS machine on the planet.

                            I'm too lazy to do a simple search right now, but I'm
                            thinking all 8" drives use 1024 byte sectors. Bracing
                            for possible incoming *eggs*, my APC has 8" floppies,
                            so my guess is that they're both compatible in that
                            way at least. The Xerox 16/8 had as an option 8"
                            drives, but those I don't have with mine (it is
                            available though).
                            The program written by Dave Dunfield (ImageDisk)
                            would handle all that though I think. If you need
                            particular help with something, he's very
                            knowledgeable. The owner of one of the more notable
                            vintage sites has a Gazelle Jim. You could enquire
                            about software from that dude. If you're too busy,
                            I'll do it for you. I want to see that bad-boy
                            running, and even if it means taking a trip up there
                            (with my APC) at some point, I'm willing.

                            > If I had
                            > connected an 8" floppy
                            > to a PC, the sector size would become the next
                            > challenge.

                            I've been told recently that 8" drives can be readily
                            replaced with high density 1.2 meggers. Not sure if
                            it'll work the other way around though. I'm going to
                            be playing with this stuph more in the coming weeks....

                            http://mail.yahoo.com