Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: look for early 19+ NEC Multisync or equivalent

  • Chris M
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 19, 2005
      --- Jim Scheef <jscheef@...> wrote:

      > I'm not sure how the
      > horizontal frequency translates to screen
      > resolution.

      Dude, first of all...THANKS! :). Let me see how does
      it work....
      Basically, multiply the vertical sychronization
      scanning frequency by the resolution and that's
      roughly the horizontal sync scan rate (you have to
      allow for overscan though, those "lines" of resolution
      you don't get to play with or generally even see).
      Take for instance my Tandy 2000. 640 x 400 @ 60hz.
      400 x 60 = 24,000 or 24khz. The card actually outputs
      25.something, because there's extra "lines" there. In
      TV broadcasts, I think the overscan can actually carry
      information, perhaps even closed captioned stuff and
      whatnot.

      > If you have a display adapter that supports the
      > frequencies (just about
      > anything made in the last 10 years) you can run this
      > monitor under Linux
      > using the manual setup for X-Windows. A PC can play
      > nice with a fixed
      > frequency monitor but it greatly limits your
      > choices. You know, it might be
      > easier to use it on an old Sun workstation.

      PC's can work with this style of monitor, but it used
      to require a special card, or a highly tweaked off the
      shelf video card. I'm going back to the mid 90's now
      when these things were plentiful. They readily plug up
      to Macs and as you pointed out, Suns and SGI's too.
      Every now and again you have a problem though. I once
      sold, perhaps the very model Jim has, to a guy who
      wanted to use it with his whatever PowerMac. For some
      reason though, it wouldn't sync up properly with his
      puter. Not positive what the reason was, but it may
      have had something to do with the width of the sync
      pulses. It worked fine with my IICX and E-machines
      Futura video card. The polarity of the sync pulses
      didn't have anything to do with it, all those monitors
      basically used negative going pulses.
      Back in the earlyish 90's, a guy in Derry, NH came
      out with a manual called "the Cheap VGA" book, which
      described how to get these monitors to work with a pc.
      There were all sorts of little tweaks you could
      employ, but sometimes you actually had to build a
      little circuit to accomplish the task. But even if you
      did get a monitor to work at a specific resolution, as
      soon as say a game changed it, you were shirt out of
      luck. Those were fun days. I used to find these things
      dirt cheap and sell them for buckeroos LOL LOL.

      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 19, 2005

        http://mail.yahoo.com