Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: look for early 19+ NEC Multisync or equivalent

  • Chris M
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 19, 2005
      I'm not quite sure what a 1952 is, probably just a
      minor variant of the 1950. Sounds like fixed frequency
      dude, there I'll have to pass :(. Tanks for the offer
      though.
      Some of those older monitors still kick butt though.
      Don't be in a hurry to chuck it. If you can find a
      solitary spot in the garage or basement, set it there
      and one day you'll go looking for it. I still have 54
      or 6 lying around :D.

      http://mail.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 19, 2005
        Chris,

        I plugged "Sony Trinitron #GDM-1952" into Yahoo search. Check out

        http://www.avernus.com/~gadams/hardware/monitors.html

        and

        http://www.monitorworld.com/Monitors/supermac/std945519trinitrondisplay.html

        With a vertical frequency of only 60Hz, this monitor will have some flicker,
        but it certainly qualifies as vintage (1989) in my book. I'm not sure how the
        horizontal frequency translates to screen resolution.

        If you have a display adapter that supports the frequencies (just about
        anything made in the last 10 years) you can run this monitor under Linux
        using the manual setup for X-Windows. A PC can play nice with a fixed
        frequency monitor but it greatly limits your choices. You know, it might be
        easier to use it on an old Sun workstation.

        Jim

        --- Chris M <chrism3667@...> wrote:

        > I'm not quite sure what a 1952 is, probably just a
        > minor variant of the 1950. Sounds like fixed frequency
        > dude, there I'll have to pass :(. Tanks for the offer
        > though.
        > Some of those older monitors still kick butt though.
        > Don't be in a hurry to chuck it. If you can find a
        > solitary spot in the garage or basement, set it there
        > and one day you'll go looking for it. I still have 54
        > or 6 lying around :D.
        >
        > --- macmothership <macmothership@...> wrote:
        >
        > > Hey Chris.
        > > It is a 19" 1987 Sony Trinitron #GDM-1952 with the
        > > three seperate RGB
        > > input connectors. I
        > > have a cable that merges them into ine plug.
        > >
        > > -Jim
        > >

        > > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Chris M
        > > <chrism3667@y...>
        > > 19"
        > > >
        > > > Dude...if you get a chance, send me the
        > > make/model #.
        > > > Like I said, it's probably a fixed frequency
        > > monitor,
        > > > that work perfectly well with a Mac, but not very
        > > well
        > > > with a PC. But who knows.

        > > > http://mail.yahoo.com

        > http://mail.yahoo.com

      • Chris M
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 19, 2005
          --- Jim Scheef <jscheef@...> wrote:

          > I'm not sure how the
          > horizontal frequency translates to screen
          > resolution.

          Dude, first of all...THANKS! :). Let me see how does
          it work....
          Basically, multiply the vertical sychronization
          scanning frequency by the resolution and that's
          roughly the horizontal sync scan rate (you have to
          allow for overscan though, those "lines" of resolution
          you don't get to play with or generally even see).
          Take for instance my Tandy 2000. 640 x 400 @ 60hz.
          400 x 60 = 24,000 or 24khz. The card actually outputs
          25.something, because there's extra "lines" there. In
          TV broadcasts, I think the overscan can actually carry
          information, perhaps even closed captioned stuff and
          whatnot.

          > If you have a display adapter that supports the
          > frequencies (just about
          > anything made in the last 10 years) you can run this
          > monitor under Linux
          > using the manual setup for X-Windows. A PC can play
          > nice with a fixed
          > frequency monitor but it greatly limits your
          > choices. You know, it might be
          > easier to use it on an old Sun workstation.

          PC's can work with this style of monitor, but it used
          to require a special card, or a highly tweaked off the
          shelf video card. I'm going back to the mid 90's now
          when these things were plentiful. They readily plug up
          to Macs and as you pointed out, Suns and SGI's too.
          Every now and again you have a problem though. I once
          sold, perhaps the very model Jim has, to a guy who
          wanted to use it with his whatever PowerMac. For some
          reason though, it wouldn't sync up properly with his
          puter. Not positive what the reason was, but it may
          have had something to do with the width of the sync
          pulses. It worked fine with my IICX and E-machines
          Futura video card. The polarity of the sync pulses
          didn't have anything to do with it, all those monitors
          basically used negative going pulses.
          Back in the earlyish 90's, a guy in Derry, NH came
          out with a manual called "the Cheap VGA" book, which
          described how to get these monitors to work with a pc.
          There were all sorts of little tweaks you could
          employ, but sometimes you actually had to build a
          little circuit to accomplish the task. But even if you
          did get a monitor to work at a specific resolution, as
          soon as say a game changed it, you were shirt out of
          luck. Those were fun days. I used to find these things
          dirt cheap and sell them for buckeroos LOL LOL.

          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 19, 2005

            http://mail.yahoo.com