Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: starting out

  • Joe Giliberti
    Message 1 of 21 , Sep 19, 2005
      billdeg wrote:
      I have found cheap vintage gear at the local flea market and sometimes
      the resell/goodwill shop.  At least half the time the items are non-
      functional (and the fun begins), but once in a while you really find
      something fantastic.  There is a good book called "Collectible
      Microcomputers" that you can use as a field guide so that when you're
      snooping around you can identify vintage computers easier, and get a
      general idea of what they are worth.  The prices are a little out of
      date, but close enough.  Most people on this list search ebay.com and
      the vintagecomputermarketplace.com, but it's best to start locally to
      avoid shipping costs.

      Bill D

      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "jtkirk1337" <starbase89@o...>

      I have looked at a few of the online meseums as well, mainly www.old-computers.com. I've been looking for the basics first, things like Apple IIs, Commodores, Tandys, Ataris, ect. And later on, when I have more money, I figured I'd get into some of the rarer things.

      Message 2 of 21 , Sep 19, 2005
        Hi back,

        You didn't give your name.

        Both of the other replies have been sage advice. I'll add a suggestion to not
        worry so much about what's rare or old but rather collect what you like. I
        like my old computers to work, meaning that they can do more than just turn
        on and glow in the dark, but can do real, useful tasks. This means that most
        of what I collect is newer than what many of the others here call 'vintage'.
        Tonite I was bidding on eBay for a laptop that most people here would not
        even consider collectible. I didn't win because there were at least ten
        others bidding for the same item. For me, part of the collecting fun is
        finding bargans. So if what you like is playing video games, collect game
        consoles and the games that make them fun. Game consoles and old home
        computers are often given away at garage/yard/tag sales.

        BTW, what is an NES system?

        Jim

        --- jtkirk1337 <starbase89@...> wrote:

        > Hi.
        > I'm a newbie here, and I have no collection. I am also probably one of
        > the youngest here (16). The closest thing I have right now to a
        > vintage computer is an NES system. Can anyone recommend a place where
        > I can aquire some computers from to try and start off? I have been
        > interested in vintage computers for around 4 years, but never really
        > got into it.
        >
        > Thanks

      • Joe Giliberti
        Message 3 of 21 , Sep 19, 2005
          Jim Scheef wrote:
          Hi back,

          You didn't give your name.

          Both of the other replies have been sage advice. I'll add a suggestion to not
          worry so much about what's rare or old but rather collect what you like. I
          like my old computers to work, meaning that they can do more than just turn
          on and glow in the dark, but can do real, useful tasks. This means that most
          of what I collect is newer than what many of the others here call 'vintage'.
          Tonite I was bidding on eBay for a laptop that most people here would not
          even consider collectible. I didn't win because there were at least ten
          others bidding for the same item. For me, part of the collecting fun is
          finding bargans. So if what you like is playing video games, collect game
          consoles and the games that make them fun. Game consoles and old home
          computers are often given away at garage/yard/tag sales.

          BTW, what is an NES system?

          Jim

          --- jtkirk1337 <starbase89@...> wrote:

          > Hi.
          > I'm a newbie here, and I have no collection. I am also probably one of
          > the youngest here (16). The closest thing I have right now to a
          > vintage computer is an NES system. Can anyone recommend a place where
          > I can aquire some computers from to try and start off? I have been
          > interested in vintage computers for around 4 years, but never really
          > got into it.
          >
          > Thanks

          NES is Nintendo Entertainment System. My name is Joe, by the way. I'm mainly interested in Apples, Amigas, Ataris, and Commodores. And I would want to have them working. I wouldn't pay for just a showpiece. My budget is too tight. An older luggable, maybe an SX-64 or a Kaypro would be cool.

        • Evan
          Message 4 of 21 , Sep 19, 2005
            Joe,

            Welcome to our hobby and club!

            How did you learn about us?  Where in the mid-atlantic region do you live?

            Who am I: Besides running MARCH, I'm also the editor of Computer Collector Newsletter, which has worldwide readership.

            Anyway, you'll find that most collectors either get a little of everything and anything, or they pick a specialty and become experts in it.  For example, I chose the latter route -- I collect vintage handhelds and laptops almost exclusively.

            I suggest that you join the mailing list called "cctalk" based at www.classiccmp.org -- that's the largest global mailing list for the hobby.  You can also use the web forum at www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum, which in addition has classified ads.  Other ads are at www.vintagecomputermarketplace.com, and you should buy Michael Nadeau's book "Collectible Microcomputers", both as noted by Bill Degnan.  And as you found, the site www.old-computers.com is a great online encyclopedia.

            Keep in mind that there's much more to collect besides microcomputers.  Many people get into minicomputers, and many people keep into the various kinds of software, chips, literature/books, I/O devices, storage, etc.

            As for MARCH, we have members all over the region, and spanning the whole range of vintage computing interests.  We also have live events a few times each year.  Currently we're planning a physical museum in Wall Township, N.J., and we're also planning to host a "light" version of the famous Vintage Computer Festival (vintage.org) next spring.

            Any questions?  Just ask!

            -- Evan Koblentz, a.k.a. "club prez because no one else was dumb enough to take the gig"

            Message 5 of 21 , Sep 20, 2005
              Joe,

              Part of my collection is early DOS "near compatibles", like a Zenith Z-100.
              Someone was giving the computer away. My rarest find is a Seattle Gazelle
              (S-100 bus, runs DOS, uses an external ASCII terminal) that a guy in New
              Hampshire was giving away. Free is my favorite price, although the drive up
              and back from NH took about 8 hours. Every Thursday or Friday (it varies in
              different areas) grab the local newspaper and look thru the garage/yard/tag
              sale ads for computers. Then on Saturday, get on your horse and hit every one
              of thoses garage sales. The later in the day that you get there, the more
              likely they are to give you the computer just to get rid of it.

              Go for it. This is the fun part.

              > Jim Scheef wrote:
              >
              > > Hi back,
              > >
              > > You didn't give your name.
              > >
              > > Both of the other replies have been sage advice. I'll add a suggestion
              > > to not
              > > worry so much about what's rare or old but rather collect what you like.
              > > like my old computers to work, meaning that they can do more than just
              > > turn
              > > on and glow in the dark, but can do real, useful tasks. This means
              > > that most
              > > of what I collect is newer than what many of the others here call
              > > 'vintage'.
              > > Tonite I was bidding on eBay for a laptop that most people here would not
              > > even consider collectible. I didn't win because there were at least ten
              > > others bidding for the same item. For me, part of the collecting fun is
              > > finding bargans. So if what you like is playing video games, collect game
              > > consoles and the games that make them fun. Game consoles and old home
              > > computers are often given away at garage/yard/tag sales.
              > >
              > > BTW, what is an NES system?
              > >
              > > Jim
              > >
              > > --- jtkirk1337 <starbase89@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > > Hi.
              > > > I'm a newbie here, and I have no collection. I am also probably one of
              > > > the youngest here (16). The closest thing I have right now to a
              > > > vintage computer is an NES system. Can anyone recommend a place where
              > > > I can aquire some computers from to try and start off? I have been
              > > > interested in vintage computers for around 4 years, but never really
              > > > got into it.
              > > >
              > > > Thanks

              > > Vintage computer

              > > Field trip

              > > Computer security

              > > Computer training

              > NES is Nintendo Entertainment System. My name is Joe, by the way. I'm
              > mainly interested in Apples, Amigas, Ataris, and Commodores. And I would
              > want to have them working. I wouldn't pay for just a showpiece. My
              > budget is too tight. An older luggable, maybe an SX-64 or a Kaypro would
              > be cool.

            • Joe Giliberti

                I'm a newbie here, and I have no collection. I am also probably one of
                the youngest here (16). The closest thing I have right now to a
                vintage computer is an NES system. Can anyone recommend a place where
                I can aquire some computers from to try and start off? I have been
                interested in vintage computers for around 4 years, but never really
                got into it.

                Thanks

                A computer museum in Wall NJ? I'm about 15 miles from there. I'm in Jackson NJ. That is awesome. The only one I have seen is the one in the Smithsonian American History Museum a few years ago. Is there a newsletter to keep me updated on that?
              • Joe Giliberti
                Message 7 of 21 , Sep 20, 2005
                  Jim Scheef wrote:
                  Joe,

                  Part of my collection is early DOS "near compatibles", like a Zenith Z-100.
                  Someone was giving the computer away. My rarest find is a Seattle Gazelle
                  (S-100 bus, runs DOS, uses an external ASCII terminal) that a guy in New
                  Hampshire was giving away. Free is my favorite price, although the drive up
                  and back from NH took about 8 hours. Every Thursday or Friday (it varies in
                  different areas) grab the local newspaper and look thru the garage/yard/tag
                  sale ads for computers. Then on Saturday, get on your horse and hit every one
                  of thoses garage sales. The later in the day that you get there, the more
                  likely they are to give you the computer just to get rid of it.

                  Go for it. This is the fun part.

                  > Jim Scheef wrote:
                  >
                  > > Hi back,
                  > >
                  > > You didn't give your name.
                  > >
                  > > Both of the other replies have been sage advice. I'll add a suggestion
                  > > to not
                  > > worry so much about what's rare or old but rather collect what you like.
                  > > like my old computers to work, meaning that they can do more than just
                  > > turn
                  > > on and glow in the dark, but can do real, useful tasks. This means
                  > > that most
                  > > of what I collect is newer than what many of the others here call
                  > > 'vintage'.
                  > > Tonite I was bidding on eBay for a laptop that most people here would not
                  > > even consider collectible. I didn't win because there were at least ten
                  > > others bidding for the same item. For me, part of the collecting fun is
                  > > finding bargans. So if what you like is playing video games, collect game
                  > > consoles and the games that make them fun. Game consoles and old home
                  > > computers are often given away at garage/yard/tag sales.
                  > >
                  > > BTW, what is an NES system?
                  > >
                  > > Jim
                  > >
                  > > --- jtkirk1337 <starbase89@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > > Hi.
                  > > > I'm a newbie here, and I have no collection. I am also probably one of
                  > > > the youngest here (16). The closest thing I have right now to a
                  > > > vintage computer is an NES system. Can anyone recommend a place where
                  > > > I can aquire some computers from to try and start off? I have been
                  > > > interested in vintage computers for around 4 years, but never really
                  > > > got into it.
                  > > >
                  > > > Thanks

                  > > Vintage computer

                  > >       Field trip

                  > >       Computer security

                  > > Computer training

                  > >     *  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
                  > >       Service <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

                  > NES is Nintendo Entertainment System. My name is Joe, by the way. I'm
                  > mainly interested in Apples, Amigas, Ataris, and Commodores. And I would
                  > want to have them working. I wouldn't pay for just a showpiece. My
                  > budget is too tight. An older luggable, maybe an SX-64 or a Kaypro would
                  > be cool.

                  I have to rely on my parents for the "horse", but I do check newspapers, Craigslist, and Freecycle regularly
                • Evan
                  Message 8 of 21 , Sep 20, 2005
                    Joe, see my off-list reply.

                    Message 9 of 21 , Sep 20, 2005
                      Remember to trim long replies and threads.

                      - EK

                      Message 10 of 21 , Sep 20, 2005
                        Hey Jim, if the Gazelle can take S-100 cards, couldn't you plug a
                        video card in, or is that not supported by the bios. I imagine there
                        must have been either S-100 or multibus video cards offered (I realize
                        they're not the same thing though). Then there's the problem of
                        drivers I guess...
                      • Joe Giliberti
                        Message 11 of 21 , Sep 20, 2005
                          chrism3667 wrote:
                          Hey Jim, if the Gazelle can take S-100 cards, couldn't you plug a
                          video card in, or is that not supported by the bios. I imagine there
                          must have been either S-100 or multibus video cards offered (I realize
                          they're not the same thing though). Then there's the problem of
                          drivers I guess...

                          Just out of curiousity, what is an S-100 card?

                          -Joe
                        • billdeg@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 21 , Sep 20, 2005
                            S-100 was a leading "bus" standard for comptuer cards of the mid 70's through
                            early 80's. Bus is another way to say how input/output is routed into the
                            computer processor, etc.

                            Basically they were just like computer cards that you stuck into a computer
                            today, and they had 50 double sided connectors (50x2 = 100). You can't put an
                            S-100 card in a modern computer. They had different dimensions than today's
                            cards, but they served the same purpose - add capabilities to a "base" system.
                            For example you could get an S-100 memory card to add more memory to your
                            computer. In those day's an S-100 memory card might only contain 16K.

                            I am not personally aware of any major system that was launched to feature
                            the S-100 (IEEE 696) bus much past 1980, but i do have electronics magazines
                            with ads selling S-100 cards well into the 80's.
                            Here is a link:
                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-100_bus
                            ...with an official definition and more details.

                            Bill

                            In a message dated 9/20/2005 11:55:49 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                            starbase89@... writes:

                            > Just out of curiousity, what is an S-100 card?
                            >
                            > -Joe
                          • Chris M
                            Message 13 of 21 , Sep 21, 2005

                              > Just out of curiousity, what is an S-100 card?
                              >
                              > -Joe

                              Joe...today we have AGP and PCI card slots (buses).
                              In the past there was ISA, first 8-bit (IBM PC), then
                              16-bit (IBM AT), then Micro Channel (PS/2), EISA, VESA
                              local bus, etc. There was NUBUS on the early
                              expandable Macs. The purpose of a bus is to gain
                              access to the microprocessors own bus, a set of pins
                              that allow access to it's innards, and a way of it
                              gaining access to external peripherals. Running
                              between the micro and memory (ram or rom) is also a
                              bus, but it's so generic it doesn't need a special
                              name (the address/data bus, and the lines are common).
                              Expansion buses can also be proprietary. Cartridges
                              for consoles and puters are a bus system of their own,
                              but for the most part only tie into the address/data
                              pins. Essentially you're plugging in a new rom. IIRC
                              the Commodore 64 had something in addition to it's
                              cartridge slots. Many things could be interfaced in
                              that way, including data collection hardware, radio
                              packet stuph, etc. My heads starting to hurt...

                              __________________________________
                              http://mail.yahoo.com
                              Message 14 of 21 , Sep 21, 2005
                                Chris,

                                Maybe. Probably.

                                You answered your own question. The Gazelle doesn't have BIOS in the sence of
                                what IBM put in the original PC. There is only a ROM monitor program that
                                behaves like the DOS debug program. When you turn the machine on, the monitor
                                has control. Assuming you have the floppy drives connected and a bootable
                                floppy, you then press a reset button on the front panel and the monitor
                                tries to find something from which to boot the machine. I have no idea if any
                                of this will work today. If the machine does boot, the DOS is 2.0 so it
                                supports loadable device drivers. When I last played with the machine I was
                                trying to connect a hard drive to a MFM controller. My problem, like I told
                                you when you were here, is that I never could interface an 8" floppy to a
                                regular PC to get new programs (like device drivers) to the Seattle.

                                The Gazelle's 8" floppies have 1024 byte sectors, not the 512 used by just
                                about ever other DOS machine on the planet. If I had connected an 8" floppy
                                to a PC, the sector size would become the next challenge.

                                I should look for all that stuff before it's lost forever.

                                Jim

                                Message 15 of 21 , Sep 21, 2005
                                  Joe,

                                  The MITS Altair 8800 (the first personal computer?) had its circuits on
                                  plug-in cards that were inserted into a chassis with a row of sockets. The
                                  cards had 100 connectors. Other computers like the Apple II and the original
                                  IBM PC also used an expandible (but different) architecture that allowed
                                  plugging expansion cards into a bus. The Altair bus became known as the S100
                                  standard, like the PC bus became known as ISA (industry standard
                                  architecture). Many manufacturers supported the S100 bus back in the days of
                                  CP/M. Seattle Computing was one of the few to make an S100 processor board
                                  with an 8086. Type "s100 bus" into any search engine for moree info.

                                  Jim
                                • Vintage Computer Festival
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Sep 21, 2005
                                    On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 billdeg@... wrote:

                                    > I am not personally aware of any major system that was launched to feature
                                    > the S-100 (IEEE 696) bus much past 1980, but i do have electronics magazines
                                    > with ads selling S-100 cards well into the 80's.

                                    Actually, the S-100 (IEEE-696) standard survived well into the 1990s. I
                                    have some magazines (Microsystems maybe?) that still had articles and
                                    advertisements for S-100 stuff in the early 1990s. I'm sure there are
                                    still many S-100 bus machines running critical applications to this day.

                                    --

                                    Sellam Ismail Vintage Computer Festival

                                  • Joe Giliberti
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Sep 21, 2005

                                      Actually, the S-100 (IEEE-696) standard survived well into the 1990s.  I
                                      have some magazines (Microsystems maybe?) that still had articles and
                                      advertisements for S-100 stuff in the early 1990s.  I'm sure there are
                                      still many S-100 bus machines running critical applications to this day.

                                      But isn't s-100 even slower than ISA?
                                    • Chris M
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Sep 21, 2005
                                        probably, 1 mhz, 4 mhz, whatever. For the applications
                                        that are operating on s-100 systems, I'm sure speed
                                        isn't critical. CNC (Computer Numerical Control) for
                                        instance doesn't require alot of speed (CNC lathes,
                                        mills, etc.). Often these apps are programmed in
                                        interpreted (as opposed to compiled) BASIC.
                                        Interpreted languages are popular in robotic systems.

                                        Message 19 of 21 , Sep 21, 2005
                                          --- Jim Scheef <jscheef@...> wrote:

                                          > If the machine does boot,
                                          > the DOS is 2.0 so it
                                          > supports loadable device drivers.

                                          I would have guessed that it's version of DOS is
                                          customized just like all the sort-of-compatibles. But
                                          I had thought that MS-DOS utilizes (perhaps heavily)
                                          the programming interfaces built into the bios rom. I
                                          could be wrong. But if that's so, I'm surprised there
                                          was a version of DOS available for it at all. Was
                                          there a DOS available for Multibus 8086 systems?
                                          Regardless of the fact that it runs DOS 2.0, I think
                                          it's a function of the bios to search for a rom
                                          associated with a graphics controller.

                                          > The Gazelle's 8" floppies have 1024 byte sectors,
                                          > not the 512 used by just
                                          > about ever other DOS machine on the planet.

                                          I'm too lazy to do a simple search right now, but I'm
                                          thinking all 8" drives use 1024 byte sectors. Bracing
                                          for possible incoming *eggs*, my APC has 8" floppies,
                                          so my guess is that they're both compatible in that
                                          way at least. The Xerox 16/8 had as an option 8"
                                          drives, but those I don't have with mine (it is
                                          available though).
                                          The program written by Dave Dunfield (ImageDisk)
                                          would handle all that though I think. If you need
                                          particular help with something, he's very
                                          knowledgeable. The owner of one of the more notable
                                          vintage sites has a Gazelle Jim. You could enquire
                                          about software from that dude. If you're too busy,
                                          I'll do it for you. I want to see that bad-boy
                                          running, and even if it means taking a trip up there
                                          (with my APC) at some point, I'm willing.

                                          > If I had
                                          > connected an 8" floppy
                                          > to a PC, the sector size would become the next
                                          > challenge.

                                          I've been told recently that 8" drives can be readily
                                          replaced with high density 1.2 meggers. Not sure if
                                          it'll work the other way around though. I'm going to
                                          be playing with this stuph more in the coming weeks....

                                          http://mail.yahoo.com