TRS-80 Model-II Computer Desk

  • jus10j
    Message 1 of 16 , May 26, 2009
      I just ran across this auction (tiny url below) while scanning eBay, IMO this would be really cool in a museum setting, bummer it is on the west coast. I have never seen a TRS-80 ''desk'' before, I am not sure if this is custom, or was a Tandy sponsored item. Any TRS-80 collectors out there that can enlighten me (and the group) ?

      http://tinyurl.com/pfzjqt

      -Justin J.
      Message 2 of 16 , May 26, 2009

        > I just ran across this auction (tiny url below) while scanning eBay, IMO this would be really cool in a museum setting, bummer it is on the west coast. I have never seen a TRS-80 ''desk'' before, I am not sure if this is custom, or was a Tandy sponsored item. Any TRS-80 collectors out there that can enlighten me (and the group) ?
        >
        > http://tinyurl.com/pfzjqt
        >
        > -Justin J.

        Your answer will be here: http://www.radioshackcatalogs.com
      • Mike Loewen
        Message 3 of 16 , May 26, 2009
          On Wed, 27 May 2009, jus10j wrote:

          > I just ran across this auction (tiny url below) while scanning eBay, IMO
          > this would be really cool in a museum setting, bummer it is on the west
          > coast. I have never seen a TRS-80 ''desk'' before, I am not sure if
          > this is custom, or was a Tandy sponsored item. Any TRS-80 collectors
          > out there that can enlighten me (and the group) ?
          >
          > http://tinyurl.com/pfzjqt

          That was a real Tandy item:

          http://www.trs-80.com/wordpress/trs-80-computer-line/model-ii/

          Nice setup for someone close.

          Mike Loewen mloewen@...
        • Bill Degnan
          Message 4 of 16 , May 26, 2009
            I know someone who is using one of these as a desk in a storage room. I
            should bug him about it, but it's been years, don't know if it's still
            around.
            Bill

            > > I just ran across this auction (tiny url below) while scanning eBay,
            IMO
            > > this would be really cool in a museum setting, bummer it is on the west

            > > coast. I have never seen a TRS-80 ''desk'' before, I am not sure if
            > > this is custom, or was a Tandy sponsored item. Any TRS-80 collectors
            > > out there that can enlighten me (and the group) ?
            > >
            > > http://tinyurl.com/pfzjqt
            >
            > That was a real Tandy item:
            >
            > http://www.trs-80.com/wordpress/trs-80-computer-line/model-ii/
            >
            > Nice setup for someone close.
            >

            > Mike Loewen mloewen@...

          • Dan Roganti
            Message 5 of 16 , May 27, 2009

              Evan Koblentz wrote:
              Your answer will be here: http://www.radioshackcatalogs.com

              I wish they made a website like this for all the Heathkit catalogs.

              =Dan
            • Mike Loewen
              Message 6 of 16 , May 27, 2009
                Now that I have complete custody of the computer room upstairs (my wife
                moved her stuff into the other newly-available bedroom), I've been able to
                move some more equipment in and get it hooked up. I thought I'd share
                some of the vintage-to-modern hookups.

                My household server is a dual 2.4MHz Xeon box running Linux Fedora 9.
                Some of you remember the card reader I had at VCF East in 2006, with the
                USB interface:

                http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/Documation/

                Unfortunately, the software for the interface was written for Windows
                and I haven't had time to write my own version for Unix. However, the
                nice folks at Sun have provided VirtualBox, which is a FREE virtualization
                package for x86 systems that allows you to run any number of MSDOS and
                Windows operating systems as guests:

                http://www.virtualbox.org/

                The newer versions allow you to use the host's USB-connected hardware
                in the guest OS (providing it supports USB). So, I connected the card
                reader's USB interface to my Linux server, configured VirtualBox to pass
                the USB device to WinXP, fired up WinXP and installed the drivers and card
                reader software. It worked! Another vintage peripheral kept alive on
                modern (more or less) hardware.

                In the same silly vein, I hooked up my Data General LDM-800 line
                printer to my server with a USB<-->parallel cable. CUPS has a text-only
                driver for such printers, or it can be configured for Epson FX or IBM
                Proprinter mode. I could also hook up the line printer to the network
                with a spare JetDirect box.

                Still to do - I need to get my Apple IIe and IIgs talking to the Linux
                server again, this time through a Gatorbox. My TRS-80 Model II and
                expansion drive box will find its way there, along with my IMSAI (after I
                get it to boot from diskette). The computer room is getting cramped, but
                I still have room for a few more things. :-)

                Mike Loewen mloewen@...
              • Joe Giliberti

                  Message 8 of 16 , May 27, 2009
                    On Wed, 27 May 2009, Joe Giliberti wrote:

                    > 2.4MHz!?! Two of them? Wow, I want a setup like that...

                    I never run the latest and greatest at home. I bought this machine (a
                    Dell Precision Workstation 530) 3 years ago, for $150. It keeps up quite
                    well while running my phones (Asterisk), PVR (MythTV) with 3 receivers,
                    plus the usual file service and firewall duties. And, it's quiet.

                    I've spent more money on vintage equipment. :-)

                    Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                  • Brian Cirulnick
                    Message 9 of 16 , May 27, 2009

                      > On Wed, 27 May 2009, Joe Giliberti wrote:
                      >
                      > > 2.4MHz!?! Two of them? Wow, I want a setup like that...
                      >
                      > I never run the latest and greatest at home. I bought this machine (a
                      > Dell Precision Workstation 530) 3 years ago, for $150. It keeps up quite
                      > well while running my phones (Asterisk), PVR (MythTV) with 3 receivers,
                      > plus the usual file service and firewall duties. And, it's quiet.

                      --------------

                      Mike, you're not getting it. You wrote Mhz.. not Ghz..
                      Currently, your home "server" is slower than my Amiga 1000.

                      Nevermind.
                    • Mike Loewen
                      Message 10 of 16 , May 27, 2009
                        On Wed, 27 May 2009, Brian Cirulnick wrote:

                        > Mike, you're not getting it. You wrote Mhz.. not Ghz..
                        > Currently, your home "server" is slower than my Amiga 1000.

                        Duh....old age is a terrible thing. Memory is the second thing to go.
                        I can't remember what the first thing was...
                      • Bill Dromgoole
                        Message 11 of 16 , May 27, 2009
                          Good work Mike, I love the USB interface board you made.
                          Just my cup of tea.

                          billdrom

                          Message 12 of 16 , May 27, 2009
                            Great stuff. I never heard of a Gator box.
                            Bill

                            Mike Loewen wrote:
                            > Now that I have complete custody of the computer room upstairs (my wife
                            > moved her stuff into the other newly-available bedroom), I've been able to
                            > move some more equipment in and get it hooked up. I thought I'd share
                            > some of the vintage-to-modern hookups.
                            >
                            > My household server is a dual 2.4MHz Xeon box running Linux Fedora 9.
                            > Some of you remember the card reader I had at VCF East in 2006, with the
                            > USB interface:
                            >
                            > http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/Documation/
                            >
                            > Unfortunately, the software for the interface was written for Windows
                            > and I haven't had time to write my own version for Unix. However, the
                            > nice folks at Sun have provided VirtualBox, which is a FREE virtualization
                            > package for x86 systems that allows you to run any number of MSDOS and
                            > Windows operating systems as guests:
                            >
                            > http://www.virtualbox.org/
                            >
                            > The newer versions allow you to use the host's USB-connected hardware
                            > in the guest OS (providing it supports USB). So, I connected the card
                            > reader's USB interface to my Linux server, configured VirtualBox to pass
                            > the USB device to WinXP, fired up WinXP and installed the drivers and card
                            > reader software. It worked! Another vintage peripheral kept alive on
                            > modern (more or less) hardware.
                            >
                            > In the same silly vein, I hooked up my Data General LDM-800 line
                            > printer to my server with a USB<-->parallel cable. CUPS has a text-only
                            > driver for such printers, or it can be configured for Epson FX or IBM
                            > Proprinter mode. I could also hook up the line printer to the network
                            > with a spare JetDirect box.
                            >
                            > Still to do - I need to get my Apple IIe and IIgs talking to the Linux
                            > server again, this time through a Gatorbox. My TRS-80 Model II and
                            > expansion drive box will find its way there, along with my IMSAI (after I
                            > get it to boot from diskette). The computer room is getting cramped, but
                            > I still have room for a few more things. :-)
                            >

                            > Mike Loewen mloewen@...

                          • Mike Loewen
                            Message 13 of 16 , May 27, 2009
                              On Wed, 27 May 2009, B Degnan wrote:

                              > Great stuff. I never heard of a Gator box.

                              Back in the days of thin ethernet, Localtalk networks were connected to
                              ethernet networks by using either a Kinetics Fastpath or a Cayman
                              Gatorbox. I remember at Penn State around 1994, they were using Netatalk
                              running on Unix boxes to route Appletalk between subnets on campus, mostly
                              for Apple printers at the end.

                              At VCF East 3.0, I did the same thing thing with an AsanteTalk Ethernet
                              to Localtalk adapter. The AstanteTalk was designed more to connect
                              Localtalk printers to ethernetworks, so the Gatorbox is a better solution.

                              Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                              Message 14 of 16 , May 27, 2009
                                Mike Loewen wrote:
                                On Wed, 27 May 2009, B Degnan wrote:

                                Great stuff.  I never heard of a Gator box.

                                    Back in the days of thin ethernet, Localtalk networks were connected to
                                ethernet networks by using either a Kinetics Fastpath or a Cayman
                                Gatorbox.  I remember at Penn State around 1994, they were using Netatalk
                                running on Unix boxes to route Appletalk between subnets on campus, mostly
                                for Apple printers at the end.

                                    At VCF East 3.0, I did the same thing thing with an AsanteTalk Ethernet
                                to Localtalk adapter.  The AstanteTalk was designed more to connect
                                Localtalk printers to ethernetworks, so the Gatorbox is a better solution.

                                Thanks Mike.  I had been working on a way to transfer files from an Apple II GS, but I had not explored the modem/ethernet route.
                                Bill
                              • Mike Loewen
                                Message 15 of 16 , May 27, 2009
                                  On Wed, 27 May 2009, B Degnan wrote:

                                  > Thanks Mike. I had been working on a way to transfer files from an Apple II
                                  > GS, but I had not explored the modem/ethernet route.

                                  If you don't want to go the networking route, the easiest way is
                                  probably ADT (Apple Disk Transfer) and a serial cable between the IIgs and
                                  a PC. That's how I created by initial boot disks for the IIgs.

                                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Disk_Transfer

                                  Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                                • jus10j
                                  Message 16 of 16 , May 28, 2009
                                    Wow, awesome link, thanks. I can't believe I have never run across this before (the link or the desk!). I scoured those Radio Shack catalogs when I was a kid. I have never been a TRS80 fan (althougth a model iii or iv was the first computer I ever used in my 5th grade math class), but that system with desk has been added to my wish list, too bad this is out on the left coast.