Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: look for early 19+ NEC Multisync or equivalent

  • Chris M
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 17, 2005
      > <macmothership@...> wrote:
      > > I have a big 'ole monitor that I'm not using, 19"
      > or
      > 21" if I remember.

      Dude...if you get a chance, send me the make/model #.
      Like I said, it's probably a fixed frequency monitor,
      that work perfectly well with a Mac, but not very well
      with a PC. But who knows.

      __________________________________
      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • macmothership
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 18, 2005
        Hey Chris.
        It is a 19" 1987 Sony Trinitron #GDM-1952 with the three seperate RGB
        input connectors. I
        have a cable that merges them into ine plug.

        -Jim

        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Chris M <chrism3667@y...>
        wrote:
        > > <macmothership@y...> wrote:
        > > > I have a big 'ole monitor that I'm not using, 19"
        > > or
        > > 21" if I remember.
        >
        > Dude...if you get a chance, send me the make/model #.
        > Like I said, it's probably a fixed frequency monitor,
        > that work perfectly well with a Mac, but not very well
        > with a PC. But who knows.
        >

        > __________________________________
        > http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Chris M
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 19, 2005
          I'm not quite sure what a 1952 is, probably just a
          minor variant of the 1950. Sounds like fixed frequency
          dude, there I'll have to pass :(. Tanks for the offer
          though.
          Some of those older monitors still kick butt though.
          Don't be in a hurry to chuck it. If you can find a
          solitary spot in the garage or basement, set it there
          and one day you'll go looking for it. I still have 54
          or 6 lying around :D.

          http://mail.yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 19, 2005
            Chris,

            I plugged "Sony Trinitron #GDM-1952" into Yahoo search. Check out

            http://www.avernus.com/~gadams/hardware/monitors.html

            and

            http://www.monitorworld.com/Monitors/supermac/std945519trinitrondisplay.html

            With a vertical frequency of only 60Hz, this monitor will have some flicker,
            but it certainly qualifies as vintage (1989) in my book. I'm not sure how the
            horizontal frequency translates to screen resolution.

            If you have a display adapter that supports the frequencies (just about
            anything made in the last 10 years) you can run this monitor under Linux
            using the manual setup for X-Windows. A PC can play nice with a fixed
            frequency monitor but it greatly limits your choices. You know, it might be
            easier to use it on an old Sun workstation.

            Jim

            --- Chris M <chrism3667@...> wrote:

            > I'm not quite sure what a 1952 is, probably just a
            > minor variant of the 1950. Sounds like fixed frequency
            > dude, there I'll have to pass :(. Tanks for the offer
            > though.
            > Some of those older monitors still kick butt though.
            > Don't be in a hurry to chuck it. If you can find a
            > solitary spot in the garage or basement, set it there
            > and one day you'll go looking for it. I still have 54
            > or 6 lying around :D.
            >
            > --- macmothership <macmothership@...> wrote:
            >
            > > Hey Chris.
            > > It is a 19" 1987 Sony Trinitron #GDM-1952 with the
            > > three seperate RGB
            > > input connectors. I
            > > have a cable that merges them into ine plug.
            > >
            > > -Jim
            > >

            > > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Chris M
            > > <chrism3667@y...>
            > > 19"
            > > >
            > > > Dude...if you get a chance, send me the
            > > make/model #.
            > > > Like I said, it's probably a fixed frequency
            > > monitor,
            > > > that work perfectly well with a Mac, but not very
            > > well
            > > > with a PC. But who knows.

            > > > http://mail.yahoo.com

            > http://mail.yahoo.com

          • Chris M
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 19, 2005
              --- Jim Scheef <jscheef@...> wrote:

              > I'm not sure how the
              > horizontal frequency translates to screen
              > resolution.

              Dude, first of all...THANKS! :). Let me see how does
              it work....
              Basically, multiply the vertical sychronization
              scanning frequency by the resolution and that's
              roughly the horizontal sync scan rate (you have to
              allow for overscan though, those "lines" of resolution
              you don't get to play with or generally even see).
              Take for instance my Tandy 2000. 640 x 400 @ 60hz.
              400 x 60 = 24,000 or 24khz. The card actually outputs
              25.something, because there's extra "lines" there. In
              TV broadcasts, I think the overscan can actually carry
              information, perhaps even closed captioned stuff and
              whatnot.

              > If you have a display adapter that supports the
              > frequencies (just about
              > anything made in the last 10 years) you can run this
              > monitor under Linux
              > using the manual setup for X-Windows. A PC can play
              > nice with a fixed
              > frequency monitor but it greatly limits your
              > choices. You know, it might be
              > easier to use it on an old Sun workstation.

              PC's can work with this style of monitor, but it used
              to require a special card, or a highly tweaked off the
              shelf video card. I'm going back to the mid 90's now
              when these things were plentiful. They readily plug up
              to Macs and as you pointed out, Suns and SGI's too.
              Every now and again you have a problem though. I once
              sold, perhaps the very model Jim has, to a guy who
              wanted to use it with his whatever PowerMac. For some
              reason though, it wouldn't sync up properly with his
              puter. Not positive what the reason was, but it may
              have had something to do with the width of the sync
              pulses. It worked fine with my IICX and E-machines
              Futura video card. The polarity of the sync pulses
              didn't have anything to do with it, all those monitors
              basically used negative going pulses.
              Back in the earlyish 90's, a guy in Derry, NH came
              out with a manual called "the Cheap VGA" book, which
              described how to get these monitors to work with a pc.
              There were all sorts of little tweaks you could
              employ, but sometimes you actually had to build a
              little circuit to accomplish the task. But even if you
              did get a monitor to work at a specific resolution, as
              soon as say a game changed it, you were shirt out of
              luck. Those were fun days. I used to find these things
              dirt cheap and sell them for buckeroos LOL LOL.

              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 19, 2005

                http://mail.yahoo.com