128D keyboard repair

  • Joe Giliberti
    Message 1 of 3 , May 18, 2009
      I picked up a C128D (and a PCJr) on a craigslist ad for $25 total. I'm having some problems with the keyboard on the 128. The space key is stuck on. The key is cracked, though still intact. It also has no spring to make it come back up. My question is: If I were to disassemble the keyboard, what would I find? Switches? A membrane? Or even worse, a hundred little individual springs?

      Additionally, the 1084 monitor I got with it has a faulty switch. You need to hold the power button in for the monitor to stay on. Any ideas for a fix, even if by bypassing the switch somehow?

      Thanks
      Joe
    • Justin Jernigan
      Message 2 of 3 , May 18, 2009

        Joe,

        Awesome deal you got there!

        While not a direct answer to your question, the 128D space key should have 3 springs and a metal bar under it. You can source a replacement from a regular 128 or C64c (color correct) or even a regular C64 (brown, or grey).  Are you coming on May 30th? I haven’t RSVP’d, but may have a donor for you.

        As far as the 1084, temporary solution is to wedge part of a business card in there in the interim, I have picked up a half dozen of those over the years with the same issue, but never researched fixing them.  You might try Ray Carlsen’s website  http://personalpages.tds.net/~rcarlsen/  , he may have a u-fix-it guide for the 1084.

        From: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com [mailto: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of Joe Giliberti

          From: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com [mailto:midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Joe Giliberti