Re: MARCH committee to select chips for an exhibit

  • Brian Cirulnick
    Message 1 of 11 , May 8, 2009

      > Why not take a tip from the Computer History Museum?
      >
      > http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/DSCN3460.JPG
      >
      > I like their signs.
      ---------------------------

      Is it me, or does it look like their signage was designed by someone who's a fan of SUN Microsystems? Between the purple color and the bold sans-serif, it looks like the design for the Sun cases around the time of the Ultra1 and Ultra2.

      And I guess if you're an Apple fanboi, you'd use Garamond against white.

      Maybe we should decide what kind of "look" we're going for too; while the text can be plain old whatever for legibility, title cards can be something consistent, a vintage 60's computer-y typeface like I use for "obsolyte!" or something more 8-bit/C=64 like what's on Bill's website...
    • mejeep_ferret
      Message 2 of 11 , May 19, 2009
        > > For those interested, IEEE has an article about the 25 chips that
        > > changed the world. The NE555 is #1 and the 6502 is #2.
        > > http://spectrum.ieee.org/may09/8747

        Many of those chips are after 1980, so they're out of scope for MARCH.

        > Am I the only geek left that still finds those
        > "150 in one electronics lab" kits fascinating?

        Not at all! I'd love to play with it everyday just to remind myself of the basics and where I began. I think we as a nation are all the poorer for NOT having those readily available in schools and stores.

        My email digest feed stopped, thus my being offline for a while. As the one who made the CPU-chip display for MARCH, I'd like to keep a hand in this. I kinda started with my web page
        http://ferretronix.com/stuff/chips/

        Yes, I need to catch up and make a web page of my "Z80 Ain't Dead" display from VCF East 2008, etc.

        -- Jeff Jonas