My Video of Altair Music

    Message 1 of 9 , May 6, 2009
      Hi,

      Making an Altair play "Fool on the Hill" was one of those things I
      always wanted to do I suppose, and now I can check that off my list.
      We can replicate this on the MARCH Altair, but you may need to remove
      the Processor Tech General Purpose card from the system, first (CUTTER
      may interfere). Set up is easy and only takes a few minutes. All you
      need is an Altair 8800 and an AM Radio. You then toggle in the program
      from address 000 to 033, and the data from 040 (per their example).My

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgYhVnmeWrk

      enjoy....I included the code listing at the end of the video in the
      event that a copy of Feb 1976 Dr. Dobb's is not available.

      I will post the article on my web site in the /CISC367 directory.

      Bill
    • billdeg
      Message 2 of 9 , May 8, 2009
        I am surprised that no one commented on this post...are you all getting my messages?

        > Hi,
        >
        > Making an Altair play "Fool on the Hill" was one of those things I
        > always wanted to do I suppose, and now I can check that off my list.
        > We can replicate this on the MARCH Altair, but you may need to remove
        > the Processor Tech General Purpose card from the system, first (CUTTER
        > may interfere). Set up is easy and only takes a few minutes. All you
        > need is an Altair 8800 and an AM Radio. You then toggle in the program
        > from address 000 to 033, and the data from 040 (per their example).My
        >
        > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgYhVnmeWrk
        >
        > enjoy....I included the code listing at the end of the video in the
        > event that a copy of Feb 1976 Dr. Dobb's is not available.
        >
        > I will post the article on my web site in the /CISC367 directory.
        >
        > Bill

      • Mike Loewen
        Message 3 of 9 , May 8, 2009
          On Fri, 8 May 2009, billdeg wrote:

          > I am surprised that no one commented on this post...are you all getting my messages?

          Message received, just really busy. :-) I had about 1 minute this
          morning to look at the first part. Very nice, so far! I remember reading
          about this event with the Altair in the book "Hackers".

          Mike Loewen mloewen@...
        • evan@snarc.net
          Message 4 of 9 , May 8, 2009
            >>> I am surprised that no one commented on this post...are you all getting my messages?

            Got it.

            Bruce Damer and Erik Klein did this live at one of the Calif. VCFs a few years ago for the 30th anniversary panel of the Homebrew club.
            Message 5 of 9 , May 8, 2009
              evan@... wrote:
              I am surprised that no one commented on this post...are you all getting my messages?

              Got it.

              Bruce Damer and Erik Klein did this live at one of the Calif. VCFs a few years ago for the 30th anniversary panel of the Homebrew club.

              I know that, but now we can do it too.  Obviously they did not make it up either.  Nevermind, it's not easy to do that kind of stuff and I thought people would think it was cool.

              bd
            • evan@snarc.net
              Message 6 of 9 , May 8, 2009
                >>> I know that, but now we can do it too.  Obviously they did not make it up either.  Nevermind, it's not easy to do that kind of stuff and I thought people would think it was cool.

                Who said it's not cool? I only said, "been there, seen that.". ;)
              • Bill Dromgoole
                Message 7 of 9 , May 8, 2009
                  I thought it was cool.
                  When I first looked the view count was at one, I guess it was you testing it or
                  I was the first.
                  Its at 35 now,so quite a few people have seen it.
                  Sorry for not comenting sooner.

                  Bill Dromgoole

                  I am surprised that no one commented on this post...are you all getting my
                  messages?

                  > Hi,
                  >
                  > Making an Altair play "Fool on the Hill" was one of those things I
                  > always wanted to do I suppose, and now I can check that off my list.
                  > We can replicate this on the MARCH Altair, but you may need to remove
                  > the Processor Tech General Purpose card from the system, first (CUTTER
                  > may interfere). Set up is easy and only takes a few minutes. All you
                  > need is an Altair 8800 and an AM Radio. You then toggle in the program
                  > from address 000 to 033, and the data from 040 (per their example).My
                  >
                  > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgYhVnmeWrk
                  >
                  > enjoy....I included the code listing at the end of the video in the
                  > event that a copy of Feb 1976 Dr. Dobb's is not available.
                  >
                  > I will post the article on my web site in the /CISC367 directory.
                  >
                  > Bill

                • Bob Schwier
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 9, 2009
                    Isn't it funny that reinventing the wheel seems so much more difficult than
                    actually inventing the wheel? Reconstructing always seems to take more work
                    than the original actual construction. Of course, back then, anything that
                    worked seemed like a break through.
                    bs

                    Quoting evan@...:

                    > either. Nevermind, it's not easy to do that kind of stuff and I thought
                    > people would think it was cool.
                    >
                    > Who said it's not cool? I only said, "been there, seen that.". ;)

                  • Dan Roganti
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 9, 2009

                      cool,

                      now how about Bohemian Rhapsody ?  :)

                      =Dan

                      B Degnan wrote:
                      Hi,

                      Making an Altair play "Fool on the Hill" was one of those things I
                      always wanted to do I suppose, and now I can check that off my list.
                      We can replicate this on the MARCH Altair, but you may need to remove
                      the Processor Tech General Purpose card from the system, first (CUTTER
                      may interfere).  Set up is easy and only takes a few minutes.  All you
                      need is an Altair 8800 and an AM Radio.  You then toggle in the program
                      from address 000 to 033, and the data from 040 (per their example).My

                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgYhVnmeWrk

                      enjoy....I included the code listing at the end of the video in the
                      event that a copy of Feb 1976 Dr. Dobb's is not available.

                      I will post the article on my web site in the /CISC367 directory.

                      <*> Your email settings:
                          Individual Email | Traditional

                      <*> To change settings online go to:
                          (Yahoo! ID required)