Re: [midatlanticretro] MARCH committee to select chips for an exhibit / was: Re: Chips that changed the world

    Message 1 of 11 , May 5, 2009
      Evan,

      I think the exhibit should include a long black chip with legs on both
      sides and one that is that nice beige ceramic color...</tongue in cheek>

      What's to exhibit? They all look alike. If no one is willing to develop
      the signs that explain why the microcomputers already on exhibit are
      important, then a bunch of chips on a shelf in a display case is a total
      waste.

      Jim

      Message 2 of 11 , May 5, 2009
        >>> if no one is willing to develop the signs that explain why the
        microcomputers already on exhibit are important, then a bunch of chips
        on a shelf in a display case is a total waste.

        Don't be so skeptical. There are already signs, albeit simple ones, for
        most of the systems that we have on display. As for the chips exhibit,
        it certainly would not be merely "a bunch of chips on a shelf" .... I'm
        only soliciting ideas for what could go into an exhibit, sparked by the
        recent link from Rich C.
        Message 3 of 11 , May 7, 2009
          Evan,

          A name tag is not a meaningful, informative sign. Signage should explain
          why each machine is significant - why was it chosen for this "best of"
          exhibit. Then there should be information about the chips and chip
          families in the exhibit as a whole. And something about how these
          machines were programmed - both the lineage of the BASIC language and
          the machine languages. Something about the operating systems, both disk-
          and ROM-based, would tie the machines to present day computers. Each
          machine had strengths and weaknesses - what were they and why?

          Such signs will not be easy, but with them, the exhibit would be truly
          instructive for visitors. Each sign should be about a half-page of text
          printed large enough so they can be read from several feet away. This is
          a significant amount of work, but most of it does not require someone to
          be at InfoAge and can be done anywhere.

          Jim

          Evan Koblentz wrote:

          > microcomputers already on exhibit are important, then a bunch of chips
          > on a shelf in a display case is a total waste.
          >
          > Don't be so skeptical. There are already signs, albeit simple ones, for
          > most of the systems that we have on display. As for the chips exhibit,
          > it certainly would not be merely "a bunch of chips on a shelf" .... I'm
          > only soliciting ideas for what could go into an exhibit, sparked by the
          > recent link from Rich C.

        • Mike Loewen
          Message 4 of 11 , May 8, 2009
            On Thu, 7 May 2009, Jim Scheef wrote:

            > A name tag is not a meaningful, informative sign. Signage should explain
            > why each machine is significant - why was it chosen for this "best of"
            > exhibit. Then there should be information about the chips and chip
            > families in the exhibit as a whole. And something about how these
            > machines were programmed - both the lineage of the BASIC language and
            > the machine languages. Something about the operating systems, both disk-
            > and ROM-based, would tie the machines to present day computers. Each
            > machine had strengths and weaknesses - what were they and why?
            >
            > Such signs will not be easy, but with them, the exhibit would be truly
            > instructive for visitors. Each sign should be about a half-page of text
            > printed large enough so they can be read from several feet away. This is
            > a significant amount of work, but most of it does not require someone to
            > be at InfoAge and can be done anywhere.

            Why not take a tip from the Computer History Museum?

            http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/DSCN3460.JPG

            I like their signs.

            Mike Loewen mloewen@...
          • Brian Cirulnick
            Message 5 of 11 , May 8, 2009

              > Why not take a tip from the Computer History Museum?
              >
              > http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/DSCN3460.JPG
              >
              > I like their signs.
              ---------------------------

              Is it me, or does it look like their signage was designed by someone who's a fan of SUN Microsystems? Between the purple color and the bold sans-serif, it looks like the design for the Sun cases around the time of the Ultra1 and Ultra2.

              And I guess if you're an Apple fanboi, you'd use Garamond against white.

              Maybe we should decide what kind of "look" we're going for too; while the text can be plain old whatever for legibility, title cards can be something consistent, a vintage 60's computer-y typeface like I use for "obsolyte!" or something more 8-bit/C=64 like what's on Bill's website...
            • mejeep_ferret
              Message 6 of 11 , May 19, 2009
                > > For those interested, IEEE has an article about the 25 chips that
                > > changed the world. The NE555 is #1 and the 6502 is #2.
                > > http://spectrum.ieee.org/may09/8747

                Many of those chips are after 1980, so they're out of scope for MARCH.

                > Am I the only geek left that still finds those
                > "150 in one electronics lab" kits fascinating?

                Not at all! I'd love to play with it everyday just to remind myself of the basics and where I began. I think we as a nation are all the poorer for NOT having those readily available in schools and stores.

                My email digest feed stopped, thus my being offline for a while. As the one who made the CPU-chip display for MARCH, I'd like to keep a hand in this. I kinda started with my web page
                http://ferretronix.com/stuff/chips/

                Yes, I need to catch up and make a web page of my "Z80 Ain't Dead" display from VCF East 2008, etc.

                -- Jeff Jonas