Re: IBM 5150 PC On Ebay - prices are shooting up!

  • Brian Cirulnick
    Message 1 of 10 , May 5, 2009

      > People want to "invest" in something that will not lose value and has a
      > limited supply.

      -------------------

      And I hope that you remember what that did to the Comic Book industry.

      Or how people were literally dumping toyshelves of 12" GIJoes into their shopping carts when Hasbro "reissued" them (essentially to cash in on collectors).

      We may be looking at the start of the "gold rush" for computers.

      Suddenly eveyone will be keeping their old machines (instead of giving them away, my usual collection method), people will even start sitting on their current machines when it's time to upgrade (wow, if I keep my Pentium 4 for 20 years, it will be valuable), and, cash-strapped manufacturers may "reissue" their classic machines to capture the collectors market (or some other third party will dump a lot of reproductions on the market).

      Everything goes through a boom-bust phase, and we're looking at the start of the boom. Eventually, after enough rip-offs, frenzied overpaying, and the market eating itself, you have the bust, where everyone that wants one has one, and suddenly you can't even give that stuff away anymore.
    • Bill Degnan
      Message 2 of 10 , May 5, 2009

        > > People want to "invest" in something that will not lose value and has a

        > > limited supply.
        > >
        > -------------------
        >
        > And I hope that you remember what that did to the Comic Book industry.
        >
        > Or how people were literally dumping toyshelves of 12" GIJoes into their
        shopping carts when Hasbro "reissued" them (essentially to cash in on
        collectors).

        > We may be looking at the start of the "gold rush" for computers.

        Old comic books and baseball cards are still valuable, pre- 1972. It's the
        collector's editions and that kind of new stuff that went bust. Don't buy
        the re-issue Fender guitar, re-mint 1929 gold piece, or the (imagined) 40th
        anniversary edition of the IBM PC and expect it to hold real value.

        bd
        Message 3 of 10 , May 5, 2009
          Eeowzers! It even includes a really clean original DOS 1.0 n the slip
          case. That adds a lot to the value. But wait, there's more! Two - count
          'em - two single-sided floppy drives. The PC's drives were double
          density, not single, but the seller is not a historian. Can anyone tell
          from the picture if the display is CGA or monochrome? Also, note the
          patch wires on one of the boards, indicating that it a very early model.
          Still, I hate to think that PCs have reached the $2700+ price point.

          Jim

          Evan Koblentz wrote:

          > http://cgi.ebay.com/Original1st-Generation-IBM-5150-PC-1st-edition-software_W0QQitemZ330326187354
          > <http://cgi.ebay.com/Original1st-Generation-IBM-5150-PC-1st-edition-software_W0QQitemZ330326187354>
          > >
          > > Have you folks been watching the sale prices of IBM PC's lately?
          > >
          > Yes but that price is the ONLY bid .... it's highly suspicious.

        • Brian Cirulnick
          Message 4 of 10 , May 5, 2009
            --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Jim Scheef <scheefj@...> wrote:

            > Can anyone tell
            > from the picture if the display is CGA or monochrome?

            > > <http://cgi.ebay.com/Original1st-Generation-IBM-5150-PC-1st-edition-software_W0QQitemZ330326187354>

            The display itself is monochrome (if I recall correctly, the CGA monitors had a color IBM logo on them (or color bars below the IBM logo), the monochrome's did not)... Besides, the seller claims "green screen on black -- a color monitor would display white or light grey against black.

            But from the inside picture, that might be a CGA card judging by the RCA connector above it, either that or a Hercules card.

            What I find so funny is, when I ran my own business we decorated the entranceway into the office with some of those cards and boards. That's how worthless that stuff all was.