Re: [midatlanticretro] The biggest cults in IT

  • Mike Loewen
    Message 1 of 14 , May 5 6:41 AM
      On Tue, 5 May 2009, Christian Liendo wrote:

      > http://www.infoworld.com/d/adventures-in-it/true-believers-biggest-cults-in-tech-433?page=0,0

      I know a member of "The Order of LISP". His mantra goes something
      like, "I can write a webserver in 12 lines of code". :-) He's been
      trying to convert me for years.

      Back in the day (1983 - 1986), I worked in a shop full of computer
      techs and there were definite sects. The Atari folks were the most
      active, with their modified diskette drives which allowed them to copy
      just about anything. We also had a Commodore contingent, a smaller Apple
      II group and perhaps two of us on the TRS-80 side. Some of us actually
      wrote software, but most of them were concerned with amassing as much
      pirated software as possible.

      Mike Loewen mloewen@...
    • Brian Cirulnick
      Message 2 of 14 , May 5 8:54 AM

        > Hey, people think we are bonkers... I'm cool with that..
        >
        > Think about it, with all the vices (cigarettes, alcohol, drugs, Vintage computers).. I mean I think this is the least of them all..

        -------------------

        Yes, but I'd rather be afflicted with alcoholism... If you tell the average guy you're a drunk, that's ok...

        If you tell the average guy you collect old computers:

        Well, they all moved *away* from me on the "group W" bench....
      • evan@snarc.net
        Message 3 of 14 , May 5 12:39 PM
          >>> I was told that I would have been able to see the article before it was published. I feel stupid.

          Don't feel stupid. You dealt with utter amateurs. No credible media allows sources to see an article before it's published. That is kiddy league.
        • Bob Schwier
          Message 4 of 14 , May 5 4:19 PM
            Quoting Brian Cirulnick <techrat@...>:

            > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Christian Liendo
            > <christian_liendo@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hey, people think we are bonkers... I'm cool with that..
            > >
            > > Think about it, with all the vices (cigarettes, alcohol, drugs, Vintage
            > computers).. I mean I think this is the least of them all..
            > >
            > -------------------
            >
            > Yes, but I'd rather be afflicted with alcoholism... If you tell the average
            > guy you're a drunk, that's ok...
            >
            > If you tell the average guy you collect old computers:
            >
            > Well, they all moved *away* from me on the "group W" bench....

            You date yourself as a refuge of the social wars of the sixties.
            "but then I said, creating a public nuisence, and they all moved closer
            and we had a fine time talking about mother raping, father stabbing and
            father raping."
            bs

          • Mike Loewen
            Message 5 of 14 , May 6 12:16 PM
              Thanks to Evan (again!), I received a pile of S-100 boards from the
              former owner of my IMSAI:

              Vector Graphics 8K SRAM 8080
              Processor Technologies 8K SRAM
              HSC Inc C016 (Motorola 68000, 256KB DRAM)
              Vector 8800V Plugboard (new)
              Godbout Econoram IV 16K SRAM
              Bob Mullen TB-2 Card Extender and Probe
              Cromemco ZPU (Z80)
              MITS 88-VI (RTC) Rev. 0 Real Time Clock
              Quantronics MM8 (SRAM?)
              MITS 4K Static RAM Board
              Godbout Econoram II 8K SRAM (x2)
              IMSAI MPU-A 8080A
              Vero 27177 protoboard
              Processor Technology VDM-1
              Dynabyte Naked Terminal

              The card extender is a welcome addition for troubleshooting.

              I'm particularly interested in a couple of the boards, such as the
              Dynabyte Naked Terminal. According to an IEEE announcement:

              "S-100 module, called the Naked Terminal, provides the terminal
              electronics -- just add CCTV monitor and keyboard. It can be configured
              to drop ino an existing system, replacing the serial I/O card and
              stand-alone terminal without making any changes to software."

              I haven't found any documentation for it. I did find an online manual
              for the VDM-1.

              The other interesting board is not actually an S-100 card, but the HSC
              68K processor board apparently plugs into that weird looking daughterboard
              underneath the Z80 on the Cromemco ZPU in my IMSAI. Since one of the
              diskettes that came with the machine was labeled CP/M-68K, I'm assuming
              that it ran under control of the 68K board. There is very little mention
              of the HSC 68K board online, and I'm looking for docs. I sent a note to a
              guy in Australia from the Vintage Computer boards, who also has one.

              Mike Loewen mloewen@...
            • anthonyeros
              Message 6 of 14 , May 6 12:36 PM
                --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Bob Schwier <schwepes@...> wrote:
                > You date yourself as a refuge of the social wars of the sixties.
                > "but then I said, creating a public nuisence, and they all moved closer
                > and we had a fine time talking about mother raping, father stabbing and
                > father raping."
                > bs

                … then I pulled out my wallet and showed them the twenty seven eight-by-ten color glossy pictures of old computers with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one…
              • Brian Cirulnick
                Message 7 of 14 , May 6 2:28 PM
                  --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Bob Schwier <schwepes@...> wrote:

                  > Quoting Brian Cirulnick <techrat@...>:
                  >
                  > > Well, they all moved *away* from me on the "group W" bench....
                  > >

                  > You date yourself as a refuge of the social wars of the sixties.
                  > "but then I said, creating a public nuisence, and they all moved closer
                  > and we had a fine time talking about mother raping, father stabbing and
                  > father raping."
                  ---------------------

                  I'm just glad *somebody* got the reference.
                  (But I'm not a hippie from the 60's)
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 6 7:52 PM
                    Quite useful!

                    Mike Loewen wrote:
                    > Thanks to Evan (again!), I received a pile of S-100 boards from the
                    > former owner of my IMSAI:
                    >
                    > Vector Graphics 8K SRAM 8080
                    > Processor Technologies 8K SRAM
                    > HSC Inc C016 (Motorola 68000, 256KB DRAM)
                    > Vector 8800V Plugboard (new)
                    > Godbout Econoram IV 16K SRAM
                    > Bob Mullen TB-2 Card Extender and Probe
                    > Cromemco ZPU (Z80)
                    > MITS 88-VI (RTC) Rev. 0 Real Time Clock
                    > Quantronics MM8 (SRAM?)
                    > MITS 4K Static RAM Board
                    > Godbout Econoram II 8K SRAM (x2)
                    > IMSAI MPU-A 8080A
                    > Vero 27177 protoboard
                    > Processor Technology VDM-1
                    > Dynabyte Naked Terminal

                  • Dan Roganti
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 9 5:07 PM

                      you lucky dog !

                      =Dan

                      Mike Loewen wrote:
[...]

                      Old Technology	http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/

                      <*> Your email settings:
                          Individual Email | Traditional

                      <*> To change settings online go to:
                          (Yahoo! ID required)

                      <*> To change settings via email:

                          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                    • Mike Loewen
                      Message 10 of 14 , May 12 6:23 AM
                        Does anyone have an 8" diskette cleaning disk for sale, preferably the
                        wet variety? I'm getting tired of taking my drives apart every time I
                        want to clean them. :-)

                        Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                      • Mike Loewen
                        Message 11 of 14 , May 14 6:16 AM
                          I will be hosting a VCW (Vintage Computer Workshop) at my house in
                          State College, PA on the weekend of June 13/14. Bill Degnan, Dan Roganti
                          and I will be working on various vintage computer projects, and anyone
                          else willing to make the trip is welcome to attend. Tables, parts,
                          monitors, tools and test equipment will be on hand. If you plan to stay
                          overnight, please bring a sleeping bag.

                          State College is the home of Penn State University, and is equally
                          inconvenient from everywhere in the state. :-)

                          Mike Loewen mloewen@...