Re: [midatlanticretro] The biggest cults in IT

    Message 1 of 14 , May 5, 2009
      > http://www.infoworld.com/d/adventures-in-it/true-believers-biggest-cults-in-tech-433?page=0,0
      Most of the Newton people I've met are bonkers. In the bad way.
    • Christian Liendo
      Message 2 of 14 , May 5, 2009
        Hey, people think we are bonkers... I'm cool with that..

        Think about it, with all the vices (cigarettes, alcohol, drugs, Vintage computers).. I mean I think this is the least of them all..

        From: Evan Koblentz <evan@...>
        Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] The biggest cults in IT
        To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Tuesday, May 5, 2009, 9:01 AM

        > http://www.infoworl d.com/d/adventur es-in-it/ true-believers- biggest-cults- in-tech-433? page=0,0
        Most of the Newton people I've met are bonkers.. In the bad way.

      • Mike Loewen
        Message 3 of 14 , May 5, 2009
          On Tue, 5 May 2009, Christian Liendo wrote:

          > http://www.infoworld.com/d/adventures-in-it/true-believers-biggest-cults-in-tech-433?page=0,0

          I know a member of "The Order of LISP". His mantra goes something
          like, "I can write a webserver in 12 lines of code". :-) He's been
          trying to convert me for years.

          Back in the day (1983 - 1986), I worked in a shop full of computer
          techs and there were definite sects. The Atari folks were the most
          active, with their modified diskette drives which allowed them to copy
          just about anything. We also had a Commodore contingent, a smaller Apple
          II group and perhaps two of us on the TRS-80 side. Some of us actually
          wrote software, but most of them were concerned with amassing as much
          pirated software as possible.

          Mike Loewen mloewen@...
        • Brian Cirulnick
          Message 4 of 14 , May 5, 2009

            > Hey, people think we are bonkers... I'm cool with that..
            >
            > Think about it, with all the vices (cigarettes, alcohol, drugs, Vintage computers).. I mean I think this is the least of them all..

            -------------------

            Yes, but I'd rather be afflicted with alcoholism... If you tell the average guy you're a drunk, that's ok...

            If you tell the average guy you collect old computers:

            Well, they all moved *away* from me on the "group W" bench....
          • evan@snarc.net
            Message 5 of 14 , May 5, 2009
              >>> I was told that I would have been able to see the article before it was published. I feel stupid.

              Don't feel stupid. You dealt with utter amateurs. No credible media allows sources to see an article before it's published. That is kiddy league.
            • Bob Schwier
              Message 6 of 14 , May 5, 2009
                Quoting Brian Cirulnick <techrat@...>:

                > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Christian Liendo
                > <christian_liendo@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hey, people think we are bonkers... I'm cool with that..
                > >
                > > Think about it, with all the vices (cigarettes, alcohol, drugs, Vintage
                > computers).. I mean I think this is the least of them all..
                > >
                > -------------------
                >
                > Yes, but I'd rather be afflicted with alcoholism... If you tell the average
                > guy you're a drunk, that's ok...
                >
                > If you tell the average guy you collect old computers:
                >
                > Well, they all moved *away* from me on the "group W" bench....

                You date yourself as a refuge of the social wars of the sixties.
                "but then I said, creating a public nuisence, and they all moved closer
                and we had a fine time talking about mother raping, father stabbing and
                father raping."
                bs

              • Mike Loewen
                Message 7 of 14 , May 6, 2009
                  Thanks to Evan (again!), I received a pile of S-100 boards from the
                  former owner of my IMSAI:

                  Vector Graphics 8K SRAM 8080
                  Processor Technologies 8K SRAM
                  HSC Inc C016 (Motorola 68000, 256KB DRAM)
                  Vector 8800V Plugboard (new)
                  Godbout Econoram IV 16K SRAM
                  Bob Mullen TB-2 Card Extender and Probe
                  Cromemco ZPU (Z80)
                  MITS 88-VI (RTC) Rev. 0 Real Time Clock
                  Quantronics MM8 (SRAM?)
                  MITS 4K Static RAM Board
                  Godbout Econoram II 8K SRAM (x2)
                  IMSAI MPU-A 8080A
                  Vero 27177 protoboard
                  Processor Technology VDM-1
                  Dynabyte Naked Terminal

                  The card extender is a welcome addition for troubleshooting.

                  I'm particularly interested in a couple of the boards, such as the
                  Dynabyte Naked Terminal. According to an IEEE announcement:

                  "S-100 module, called the Naked Terminal, provides the terminal
                  electronics -- just add CCTV monitor and keyboard. It can be configured
                  to drop ino an existing system, replacing the serial I/O card and
                  stand-alone terminal without making any changes to software."

                  I haven't found any documentation for it. I did find an online manual
                  for the VDM-1.

                  The other interesting board is not actually an S-100 card, but the HSC
                  68K processor board apparently plugs into that weird looking daughterboard
                  underneath the Z80 on the Cromemco ZPU in my IMSAI. Since one of the
                  diskettes that came with the machine was labeled CP/M-68K, I'm assuming
                  that it ran under control of the 68K board. There is very little mention
                  of the HSC 68K board online, and I'm looking for docs. I sent a note to a
                  guy in Australia from the Vintage Computer boards, who also has one.

                  Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                • anthonyeros
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 6, 2009
                    --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Bob Schwier <schwepes@...> wrote:
                    > You date yourself as a refuge of the social wars of the sixties.
                    > "but then I said, creating a public nuisence, and they all moved closer
                    > and we had a fine time talking about mother raping, father stabbing and
                    > father raping."
                    > bs

                    … then I pulled out my wallet and showed them the twenty seven eight-by-ten color glossy pictures of old computers with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one…
                  • Brian Cirulnick
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 6, 2009
                      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Bob Schwier <schwepes@...> wrote:

                      > Quoting Brian Cirulnick <techrat@...>:
                      >
                      > > Well, they all moved *away* from me on the "group W" bench....
                      > >

                      > You date yourself as a refuge of the social wars of the sixties.
                      > "but then I said, creating a public nuisence, and they all moved closer
                      > and we had a fine time talking about mother raping, father stabbing and
                      > father raping."
                      ---------------------

                      I'm just glad *somebody* got the reference.
                      (But I'm not a hippie from the 60's)
                      Message 10 of 14 , May 6, 2009
                        Quite useful!

                        Mike Loewen wrote:
                        > Thanks to Evan (again!), I received a pile of S-100 boards from the
                        > former owner of my IMSAI:
                        >
                        > Vector Graphics 8K SRAM 8080
                        > Processor Technologies 8K SRAM
                        > HSC Inc C016 (Motorola 68000, 256KB DRAM)
                        > Vector 8800V Plugboard (new)
                        > Godbout Econoram IV 16K SRAM
                        > Bob Mullen TB-2 Card Extender and Probe
                        > Cromemco ZPU (Z80)
                        > MITS 88-VI (RTC) Rev. 0 Real Time Clock
                        > Quantronics MM8 (SRAM?)
                        > MITS 4K Static RAM Board
                        > Godbout Econoram II 8K SRAM (x2)
                        > IMSAI MPU-A 8080A
                        > Vero 27177 protoboard
                        > Processor Technology VDM-1
                        > Dynabyte Naked Terminal

                      • Dan Roganti
                        Message 11 of 14 , May 9, 2009

                          you lucky dog !

                          =Dan

                          Mike Loewen wrote:
[...]

                          Old Technology	http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/

                          <*> Your email settings:
                              Individual Email | Traditional

                          <*> To change settings online go to:
                              (Yahoo! ID required)

                          <*> To change settings via email:

                              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                        • Mike Loewen
                          Message 12 of 14 , May 12, 2009
                            Does anyone have an 8" diskette cleaning disk for sale, preferably the
                            wet variety? I'm getting tired of taking my drives apart every time I
                            want to clean them. :-)

                            Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                          • Mike Loewen
                            Message 13 of 14 , May 14, 2009
                              I will be hosting a VCW (Vintage Computer Workshop) at my house in
                              State College, PA on the weekend of June 13/14. Bill Degnan, Dan Roganti
                              and I will be working on various vintage computer projects, and anyone
                              else willing to make the trip is welcome to attend. Tables, parts,
                              monitors, tools and test equipment will be on hand. If you plan to stay
                              overnight, please bring a sleeping bag.

                              State College is the home of Penn State University, and is equally
                              inconvenient from everywhere in the state. :-)

                              Mike Loewen mloewen@...