The biggest cults in IT

  • Christian Liendo
    Message 1 of 14 , May 5, 2009
      I like the Commodorians

      The Commodorians know there is only one true path, and it is 8 bits wide.

      W00T!

      The newton guys are kewl as well.

      http://www.infoworld.com/d/adventures-in-it/true-believers-biggest-cults-in-tech-433?page=0,0

      Message 2 of 14 , May 5, 2009
        > http://www.infoworld.com/d/adventures-in-it/true-believers-biggest-cults-in-tech-433?page=0,0
        Most of the Newton people I've met are bonkers. In the bad way.
      • Christian Liendo
        Message 3 of 14 , May 5, 2009
          Hey, people think we are bonkers... I'm cool with that..

          Think about it, with all the vices (cigarettes, alcohol, drugs, Vintage computers).. I mean I think this is the least of them all..

          From: Evan Koblentz <evan@...>
          Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] The biggest cults in IT
          To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Tuesday, May 5, 2009, 9:01 AM

          > http://www.infoworl d.com/d/adventur es-in-it/ true-believers- biggest-cults- in-tech-433? page=0,0
          Most of the Newton people I've met are bonkers.. In the bad way.

        • Mike Loewen
          Message 4 of 14 , May 5, 2009
            On Tue, 5 May 2009, Christian Liendo wrote:

            > http://www.infoworld.com/d/adventures-in-it/true-believers-biggest-cults-in-tech-433?page=0,0

            I know a member of "The Order of LISP". His mantra goes something
            like, "I can write a webserver in 12 lines of code". :-) He's been
            trying to convert me for years.

            Back in the day (1983 - 1986), I worked in a shop full of computer
            techs and there were definite sects. The Atari folks were the most
            active, with their modified diskette drives which allowed them to copy
            just about anything. We also had a Commodore contingent, a smaller Apple
            II group and perhaps two of us on the TRS-80 side. Some of us actually
            wrote software, but most of them were concerned with amassing as much
            pirated software as possible.

            Mike Loewen mloewen@...
          • Brian Cirulnick
            Message 5 of 14 , May 5, 2009

              > Hey, people think we are bonkers... I'm cool with that..
              >
              > Think about it, with all the vices (cigarettes, alcohol, drugs, Vintage computers).. I mean I think this is the least of them all..

              -------------------

              Yes, but I'd rather be afflicted with alcoholism... If you tell the average guy you're a drunk, that's ok...

              If you tell the average guy you collect old computers:

              Well, they all moved *away* from me on the "group W" bench....
            • evan@snarc.net
              Message 6 of 14 , May 5, 2009
                >>> I was told that I would have been able to see the article before it was published. I feel stupid.

                Don't feel stupid. You dealt with utter amateurs. No credible media allows sources to see an article before it's published. That is kiddy league.
              • Bob Schwier
                Message 7 of 14 , May 5, 2009
                  Quoting Brian Cirulnick <techrat@...>:

                  > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Christian Liendo
                  > <christian_liendo@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hey, people think we are bonkers... I'm cool with that..
                  > >
                  > > Think about it, with all the vices (cigarettes, alcohol, drugs, Vintage
                  > computers).. I mean I think this is the least of them all..
                  > >
                  > -------------------
                  >
                  > Yes, but I'd rather be afflicted with alcoholism... If you tell the average
                  > guy you're a drunk, that's ok...
                  >
                  > If you tell the average guy you collect old computers:
                  >
                  > Well, they all moved *away* from me on the "group W" bench....

                  You date yourself as a refuge of the social wars of the sixties.
                  "but then I said, creating a public nuisence, and they all moved closer
                  and we had a fine time talking about mother raping, father stabbing and
                  father raping."
                  bs

                • Mike Loewen
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 6, 2009
                    Thanks to Evan (again!), I received a pile of S-100 boards from the
                    former owner of my IMSAI:

                    Vector Graphics 8K SRAM 8080
                    Processor Technologies 8K SRAM
                    HSC Inc C016 (Motorola 68000, 256KB DRAM)
                    Vector 8800V Plugboard (new)
                    Godbout Econoram IV 16K SRAM
                    Bob Mullen TB-2 Card Extender and Probe
                    Cromemco ZPU (Z80)
                    MITS 88-VI (RTC) Rev. 0 Real Time Clock
                    Quantronics MM8 (SRAM?)
                    MITS 4K Static RAM Board
                    Godbout Econoram II 8K SRAM (x2)
                    IMSAI MPU-A 8080A
                    Vero 27177 protoboard
                    Processor Technology VDM-1
                    Dynabyte Naked Terminal

                    The card extender is a welcome addition for troubleshooting.

                    I'm particularly interested in a couple of the boards, such as the
                    Dynabyte Naked Terminal. According to an IEEE announcement:

                    "S-100 module, called the Naked Terminal, provides the terminal
                    electronics -- just add CCTV monitor and keyboard. It can be configured
                    to drop ino an existing system, replacing the serial I/O card and
                    stand-alone terminal without making any changes to software."

                    I haven't found any documentation for it. I did find an online manual
                    for the VDM-1.

                    The other interesting board is not actually an S-100 card, but the HSC
                    68K processor board apparently plugs into that weird looking daughterboard
                    underneath the Z80 on the Cromemco ZPU in my IMSAI. Since one of the
                    diskettes that came with the machine was labeled CP/M-68K, I'm assuming
                    that it ran under control of the 68K board. There is very little mention
                    of the HSC 68K board online, and I'm looking for docs. I sent a note to a
                    guy in Australia from the Vintage Computer boards, who also has one.

                    Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                  • anthonyeros
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 6, 2009
                      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Bob Schwier <schwepes@...> wrote:
                      > You date yourself as a refuge of the social wars of the sixties.
                      > "but then I said, creating a public nuisence, and they all moved closer
                      > and we had a fine time talking about mother raping, father stabbing and
                      > father raping."
                      > bs

                      … then I pulled out my wallet and showed them the twenty seven eight-by-ten color glossy pictures of old computers with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one…
                    • Brian Cirulnick
                      Message 10 of 14 , May 6, 2009
                        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Bob Schwier <schwepes@...> wrote:

                        > Quoting Brian Cirulnick <techrat@...>:
                        >
                        > > Well, they all moved *away* from me on the "group W" bench....
                        > >

                        > You date yourself as a refuge of the social wars of the sixties.
                        > "but then I said, creating a public nuisence, and they all moved closer
                        > and we had a fine time talking about mother raping, father stabbing and
                        > father raping."
                        ---------------------

                        I'm just glad *somebody* got the reference.
                        (But I'm not a hippie from the 60's)
                        Message 11 of 14 , May 6, 2009
                          Quite useful!

                          Mike Loewen wrote:
                          > Thanks to Evan (again!), I received a pile of S-100 boards from the
                          > former owner of my IMSAI:
                          >
                          > Vector Graphics 8K SRAM 8080
                          > Processor Technologies 8K SRAM
                          > HSC Inc C016 (Motorola 68000, 256KB DRAM)
                          > Vector 8800V Plugboard (new)
                          > Godbout Econoram IV 16K SRAM
                          > Bob Mullen TB-2 Card Extender and Probe
                          > Cromemco ZPU (Z80)
                          > MITS 88-VI (RTC) Rev. 0 Real Time Clock
                          > Quantronics MM8 (SRAM?)
                          > MITS 4K Static RAM Board
                          > Godbout Econoram II 8K SRAM (x2)
                          > IMSAI MPU-A 8080A
                          > Vero 27177 protoboard
                          > Processor Technology VDM-1
                          > Dynabyte Naked Terminal

                        • Dan Roganti
                          Message 12 of 14 , May 9, 2009

                            you lucky dog !

                            =Dan

                            Mike Loewen wrote:
[...]

                            Old Technology	http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/

                            <*> Your email settings:
                                Individual Email | Traditional

                            <*> To change settings online go to:
                                (Yahoo! ID required)

                            <*> To change settings via email:

                                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                          • Mike Loewen
                            Message 13 of 14 , May 12, 2009
                              Does anyone have an 8" diskette cleaning disk for sale, preferably the
                              wet variety? I'm getting tired of taking my drives apart every time I
                              want to clean them. :-)

                              Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                            • Mike Loewen
                              Message 14 of 14 , May 14, 2009
                                I will be hosting a VCW (Vintage Computer Workshop) at my house in
                                State College, PA on the weekend of June 13/14. Bill Degnan, Dan Roganti
                                and I will be working on various vintage computer projects, and anyone
                                else willing to make the trip is welcome to attend. Tables, parts,
                                monitors, tools and test equipment will be on hand. If you plan to stay
                                overnight, please bring a sleeping bag.

                                State College is the home of Penn State University, and is equally
                                inconvenient from everywhere in the state. :-)

                                Mike Loewen mloewen@...