IBM 5150 PC On Ebay - prices are shooting up!

    Message 1 of 10 , May 4, 2009
      http://cgi.ebay.com/Original1st-Generation-IBM-5150-PC-1st-edition-software_W0QQitemZ330326187354

      Have you folks been watching the sale prices of IBM PC's lately?
      MARCH's IBM PC 5150 is just as good as the one linked above. They're
      both the early "A" model, and I was privileged to have been able to
      restore MARCH's last summer before VCF E 5 for MARCH. The black power
      supplies are whisper smooth.

      I feel as if people had been looking down on the IBM PC as not
      desirable, despite it's historical importance. It's not too late to
      repent! As someone who has been a quiet proponent of the IBM PC as a
      historical juggernaut, don't wait too long to get one for yourself,
      they're becoming quite expensive and will soon be out of reach to buy
      for casual use.

      I strongly believe that someone should pick the IBM PC to exhibit for
      VCF E this year, this brand has been ignored for too long. Very few VCF
      E exhibits of any kind have featured this family of computers. If
      anyone is interested, let me know maybe I can help.

      Message 2 of 10 , May 4, 2009

        > http://cgi.ebay.com/Original1st-Generation-IBM-5150-PC-1st-edition-software_W0QQitemZ330326187354
        >
        > Have you folks been watching the sale prices of IBM PC's lately?

        Yes but that price is the ONLY bid .... it's highly suspicious.
      • jus10j
        Message 3 of 10 , May 4, 2009

          > > http://cgi.ebay.com/Original1st-Generation-IBM-5150-PC-1st-edition-software_W0QQitemZ330326187354
          > >
          > > Have you folks been watching the sale prices of IBM PC's lately?
          > >
          > Yes but that price is the ONLY bid .... it's highly suspicious.

          Dunno, the buyer bid history is pretty good the past 30 days, ~25 distinct bids, looks like about 20 purchases, mainly IBM and vintage computing.

          I am curious, why the high starting price vs. a reserve though? A low starting bid probably would have peaked more interest and drawn more bidders.

          Didn't something similar go for $4K recently? I recall seeing mention of a similar auction in another forum recently.
        • billdeg
          Message 4 of 10 , May 4, 2009
            > > > Have you folks been watching the sale prices of IBM PC's lately?
            > > >
            > > Yes but that price is the ONLY bid .... it's highly suspicious.
            > >
            > Dunno, the buyer bid history is pretty good the past 30 days, ~25 distinct bids, looks like about 20 purchases, mainly IBM and vintage computing.
            >
            > I am curious, why the high starting price vs. a reserve though? A low starting bid probably would have peaked more interest and drawn more bidders.
            >
            > Didn't something similar go for $4K recently? I recall seeing mention of a similar auction in another forum recently.

            What they're selling for and what they're worth are two different things. Why two people fought over a 5150 B model all the way up to $4500 is beyond me. If this one sells with more than 3 bids I will be more impressed.

            bd
          • Brian Cirulnick
            Message 5 of 10 , May 5, 2009

              > http://cgi.ebay.com/Original1st-Generation-IBM-5150-PC-1st-edition-software_W0QQitemZ330326187354
              >
              > Have you folks been watching the sale prices of IBM PC's lately?
              > MARCH's IBM PC 5150 is just as good as the one linked above.
              -------------------

              What's Funny/Sad is how many of those I threw away...

              I guess my big question is: why, and how in this economy are people paying so much for relatively common crap? I still find IBM PCs in people's basements. I was cleaning out my Mom's house a few years back and threw away one and an IBM 286...
            • Bill Degnan
              Message 6 of 10 , May 5, 2009

                http://cgi.ebay.com/Original1st-Generation-IBM-5150-PC-1st-edition-software_
                W0QQitemZ330326187354

                > > Have you folks been watching the sale prices of IBM PC's lately?
                > > MARCH's IBM PC 5150 is just as good as the one linked above.
                > -------------------
                >
                > What's Funny/Sad is how many of those I threw away...
                >
                > I guess my big question is: why, and how in this economy are people
                paying so much for relatively common crap? I still find IBM PCs in people's
                basements. I was cleaning out my Mom's house a few years back and threw
                away one and an IBM 286...

                People want to "invest" in something that will not lose value and has a
                limited supply.

                Bill
              • Brian Cirulnick
                Message 7 of 10 , May 5, 2009

                  > People want to "invest" in something that will not lose value and has a
                  > limited supply.

                  -------------------

                  And I hope that you remember what that did to the Comic Book industry.

                  Or how people were literally dumping toyshelves of 12" GIJoes into their shopping carts when Hasbro "reissued" them (essentially to cash in on collectors).

                  We may be looking at the start of the "gold rush" for computers.

                  Suddenly eveyone will be keeping their old machines (instead of giving them away, my usual collection method), people will even start sitting on their current machines when it's time to upgrade (wow, if I keep my Pentium 4 for 20 years, it will be valuable), and, cash-strapped manufacturers may "reissue" their classic machines to capture the collectors market (or some other third party will dump a lot of reproductions on the market).

                  Everything goes through a boom-bust phase, and we're looking at the start of the boom. Eventually, after enough rip-offs, frenzied overpaying, and the market eating itself, you have the bust, where everyone that wants one has one, and suddenly you can't even give that stuff away anymore.
                • Bill Degnan
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 5, 2009

                    > > People want to "invest" in something that will not lose value and has a

                    > > limited supply.
                    > >
                    > -------------------
                    >
                    > And I hope that you remember what that did to the Comic Book industry.
                    >
                    > Or how people were literally dumping toyshelves of 12" GIJoes into their
                    shopping carts when Hasbro "reissued" them (essentially to cash in on
                    collectors).

                    > We may be looking at the start of the "gold rush" for computers.

                    Old comic books and baseball cards are still valuable, pre- 1972. It's the
                    collector's editions and that kind of new stuff that went bust. Don't buy
                    the re-issue Fender guitar, re-mint 1929 gold piece, or the (imagined) 40th
                    anniversary edition of the IBM PC and expect it to hold real value.

                    bd
                    Message 9 of 10 , May 5, 2009
                      Eeowzers! It even includes a really clean original DOS 1.0 n the slip
                      case. That adds a lot to the value. But wait, there's more! Two - count
                      'em - two single-sided floppy drives. The PC's drives were double
                      density, not single, but the seller is not a historian. Can anyone tell
                      from the picture if the display is CGA or monochrome? Also, note the
                      patch wires on one of the boards, indicating that it a very early model.
                      Still, I hate to think that PCs have reached the $2700+ price point.

                      Jim

                      Message 10 of 10 , May 5, 2009
                        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Jim Scheef <scheefj@...> wrote:

                        > Can anyone tell
                        > from the picture if the display is CGA or monochrome?

                        > > <http://cgi.ebay.com/Original1st-Generation-IBM-5150-PC-1st-edition-software_W0QQitemZ330326187354>

                        The display itself is monochrome (if I recall correctly, the CGA monitors had a color IBM logo on them (or color bars below the IBM logo), the monochrome's did not)... Besides, the seller claims "green screen on black -- a color monitor would display white or light grey against black.

                        But from the inside picture, that might be a CGA card judging by the RCA connector above it, either that or a Hercules card.

                        What I find so funny is, when I ran my own business we decorated the entranceway into the office with some of those cards and boards. That's how worthless that stuff all was.