Re: [midatlanticretro] OT: Yahoo problems was: My day at the museum.

    Message 1 of 4 , May 4, 2009
      Chris,

      So where is the delay? Is it Yahoo on the inbound side or outbound (from
      Yahoo to your ISP)?

      Jim

      Christian Liendo wrote:

      > It's Yahoo.
      >
      > I have a yahoo e-mail account and there are 5 e-mail replies before I
      > get Jeffery's original e-mail..
      >
      > This is very common and is one of the major reasons I moved most of my
      > e-mail to gmail. Add that to the fact that I regularly get pauses and
      > timeouts..
      >

      > One of the reasons I keep yahoo is that I have had it for years and
      > they do folders better.
      >

      > I am not trying to smack down yahoo, but there has been problems.
      >

      > _
    • Christian Liendo
      Message 2 of 4 , May 4, 2009
        I think yahoo has multiple problems period.

        I don't think this is an inbound/outbound peering/transit issue.

        I am logging into yahoo (web interface), I am not using a mail client.
        In my mail list I see 5 messages replying to Jeffrey before I see Jeffrey's mail.

        In other words, the yahoo group servers processed the original e-mail and sent it to certain people, those people responded faster than the yahoo group servers sending the original e-mail to my yahoo account.

        The problem seems to be either the yahoo group servers or the mail servers.

        I think the mail servers, why? Well on a regular basis I get lag and timeouts to the Yahoo webmail interface. If I hit other areas such as news and such I don't get the same problems. I really only see this with mail.

        Had it being a peering/transit problem I would usually get the same problem over all services.

        To be honest I could verify with pings/traceroutes because the IPs for the group servers and mail servers may be announced from different points depending on how they do their load sharing.

        Christian Liendo wrote:

        > It's Yahoo.
        >
        > I have a yahoo e-mail account and there are 5 e-mail replies before I
        > get Jeffery's original e-mail...
        >
        > This is very common and is one of the major reasons I moved most of my
        > e-mail to gmail. Add that to the fact that I regularly get pauses and
        > timeouts..
        >

        > One of the reasons I keep yahoo is that I have had it for years and
        > they do folders better.
        >

        > I am not trying to smack down yahoo, but there has been problems.
        >

        > _

      • Dan Roganti
        Message 3 of 4 , May 5, 2009

          All of the sudden, I rcvd the missing posts from the past week , that I pointed out, sometime last nite all in one day.
          --weird--

          =Dan