Re: [midatlanticretro] My day as tour guide for the Vintage Computer Museum

  • Ray Sills
    Message 1 of 15 , May 4, 2009
      Replying to self....

      Well, this message below zipped right to and from Yahoo, to be posted
      in less than a minute. So everything seemed to work this time.

      73 de Ray

      Message 2 of 15 , May 4, 2009
        Ray,

        I believe Gmail supports IMAP4, if Apple Mail does as well, then move to
        Gmail but keep your email program.

        Jim

        Ray Sills wrote:gmail

        > Replying to self....
        >
        > Well, this message below zipped right to and from Yahoo, to be posted
        > in less than a minute. So everything seemed to work this time.
        >
        > 73 de Ray
        >
        > On May 4, 2009, at 8:45 AM, Ray Sills wrote:
        >
        > > Bingo. Comcast is my ISP. Every now and then I consider moving to
        > > Gmail, but I like the way Apple Mail sorts things for me.
        > >
        > > 73 de Ray
        > >
        > > On May 4, 2009, at 7:42 AM, B Degnan wrote:
        > >
        > >> Evan and Bill both use degnanco.net (my company) email.
        > >>
        > >> If you're not getting posts, compare your web mail with your
        > >> Outlook/whatever pop email you use to see if you're filtering the
        > >> messages at your computer. Then work your way back to the
        > >> source. As
        > >> an ISP tech, that's what we advise our clients who have problems. We
        > >> have special rules for yahoo and aol because they're always a problem
        > >> with greylisting and blacklisting. Comcast is notorious with
        > >> heavy-handed mail filtering. I would not be surprised if those
        > >> people
        > >> missing emails are in the majority using Comcast.
        > >>
        > >> Bill

      • Sridhar Ayengar
        Message 3 of 15 , May 4, 2009
          Jim Scheef wrote:
          > I believe Gmail supports IMAP4, if Apple Mail does as well, then move to
          > Gmail but keep your email program.

          Gmail doesn't support IMAP4.

          Peace... Sridhar
          Message 4 of 15 , May 5, 2009
            From the Gmail features page:

            Free IMAP
            Sync your inbox across devices instantly and automatically. Whether you
            read or write your email on your phone or on your desktop, changes you
            make to Gmail will be seen from anywhere you access your inbox. Another
            way to use Gmail on your iPhone is through the browser. By going to
            m.gmail.com you get the full Gmail experience including conversation
            view, search, and more. Learn how to set up IMAP on other devices.

            Jim

            Sridhar Ayengar wrote:

            > Jim Scheef wrote:
            > > I believe Gmail supports IMAP4, if Apple Mail does as well, then move to
            > > Gmail but keep your email program.
            >
            > Gmail doesn't support IMAP4.
            >
            > Peace... Sridhar

          • Sridhar Ayengar
            Message 5 of 15 , May 5, 2009
              Jim Scheef wrote:
              > From the Gmail features page:
              >
              > Free IMAP
              > Sync your inbox across devices instantly and automatically. Whether you
              > read or write your email on your phone or on your desktop, changes you
              > make to Gmail will be seen from anywhere you access your inbox. Another
              > way to use Gmail on your iPhone is through the browser. By going to
              > m.gmail.com you get the full Gmail experience including conversation
              > view, search, and more. Learn how to set up IMAP on other devices.

              I didn't say Gmail doesn't support IMAP. I said Gmail doesn't support
              IMAP4. Gmail's IMAP is IMAP2bis + proprietary extensions. It is most
              certainly *not* IMAP4.

              Peace... Sridhar