Re: [midatlanticretro] My day as tour guide for the Vintage Computer Museum

  • Ray Sills
    Message 1 of 15 , May 4 5:45 AM
      Bingo. Comcast is my ISP. Every now and then I consider moving to
      Gmail, but I like the way Apple Mail sorts things for me.

      73 de Ray

      On May 4, 2009, at 7:42 AM, B Degnan wrote:

      > Evan and Bill both use degnanco.net (my company) email.
      >
      > If you're not getting posts, compare your web mail with your
      > Outlook/whatever pop email you use to see if you're filtering the
      > messages at your computer. Then work your way back to the source. As
      > an ISP tech, that's what we advise our clients who have problems. We
      > have special rules for yahoo and aol because they're always a problem
      > with greylisting and blacklisting. Comcast is notorious with
      > heavy-handed mail filtering. I would not be surprised if those people
      > missing emails are in the majority using Comcast.
      >
      > Bill
      >
      > Ray Sills wrote:
      >> HI Jeff:
      >>
      >> Maybe that's it. I always post via email. I seem to get all of
      >> Evan's posts, and Bill Degnan's posts. Strange, nonetheless.
      >>
      >> 73 de Ray

    • Ray Sills
      Message 2 of 15 , May 4 5:46 AM
        Replying to self....

        Well, this message below zipped right to and from Yahoo, to be posted
        in less than a minute. So everything seemed to work this time.

        73 de Ray

        Message 3 of 15 , May 4 2:13 PM
          Ray,

          I believe Gmail supports IMAP4, if Apple Mail does as well, then move to
          Gmail but keep your email program.

          Jim

          Ray Sills wrote:gmail

          > Replying to self....
          >
          > Well, this message below zipped right to and from Yahoo, to be posted
          > in less than a minute. So everything seemed to work this time.
          >
          > 73 de Ray
          >
          > On May 4, 2009, at 8:45 AM, Ray Sills wrote:
          >
          > > Bingo. Comcast is my ISP. Every now and then I consider moving to
          > > Gmail, but I like the way Apple Mail sorts things for me.
          > >
          > > 73 de Ray
          > >
          > > On May 4, 2009, at 7:42 AM, B Degnan wrote:
          > >
          > >> Evan and Bill both use degnanco.net (my company) email.
          > >>
          > >> If you're not getting posts, compare your web mail with your
          > >> Outlook/whatever pop email you use to see if you're filtering the
          > >> messages at your computer. Then work your way back to the
          > >> source. As
          > >> an ISP tech, that's what we advise our clients who have problems. We
          > >> have special rules for yahoo and aol because they're always a problem
          > >> with greylisting and blacklisting. Comcast is notorious with
          > >> heavy-handed mail filtering. I would not be surprised if those
          > >> people
          > >> missing emails are in the majority using Comcast.
          > >>
          > >> Bill

        • Sridhar Ayengar
          Message 4 of 15 , May 4 2:56 PM
            Jim Scheef wrote:
            > I believe Gmail supports IMAP4, if Apple Mail does as well, then move to
            > Gmail but keep your email program.

            Gmail doesn't support IMAP4.

            Peace... Sridhar
            Message 5 of 15 , May 5 2:11 PM
              From the Gmail features page:

              Free IMAP
              Sync your inbox across devices instantly and automatically. Whether you
              read or write your email on your phone or on your desktop, changes you
              make to Gmail will be seen from anywhere you access your inbox. Another
              way to use Gmail on your iPhone is through the browser. By going to
              m.gmail.com you get the full Gmail experience including conversation
              view, search, and more. Learn how to set up IMAP on other devices.

              Jim

              Sridhar Ayengar wrote:

              > Jim Scheef wrote:
              > > I believe Gmail supports IMAP4, if Apple Mail does as well, then move to
              > > Gmail but keep your email program.
              >
              > Gmail doesn't support IMAP4.
              >
              > Peace... Sridhar

            • Sridhar Ayengar
              Message 6 of 15 , May 5 3:18 PM
                Jim Scheef wrote:
                > From the Gmail features page:
                >
                > Free IMAP
                > Sync your inbox across devices instantly and automatically. Whether you
                > read or write your email on your phone or on your desktop, changes you
                > make to Gmail will be seen from anywhere you access your inbox. Another
                > way to use Gmail on your iPhone is through the browser. By going to
                > m.gmail.com you get the full Gmail experience including conversation
                > view, search, and more. Learn how to set up IMAP on other devices.

                I didn't say Gmail doesn't support IMAP. I said Gmail doesn't support
                IMAP4. Gmail's IMAP is IMAP2bis + proprietary extensions. It is most
                certainly *not* IMAP4.

                Peace... Sridhar