Re: [midatlanticretro] My day as tour guide for the Vintage Computer Museum

  • Ray Sills
    Message 1 of 15 , May 4, 2009
      HI Jeff:

      Maybe that's it. I always post via email. I seem to get all of
      Evan's posts, and Bill Degnan's posts. Strange, nonetheless.

      73 de Ray

      P.S. Thanks Jeff for the direct copy of your post. Glad your day
      went so nicely at Info-Age.

      Message 2 of 15 , May 4, 2009
        Evan and Bill both use degnanco.net (my company) email.

        If you're not getting posts, compare your web mail with your
        Outlook/whatever pop email you use to see if you're filtering the
        messages at your computer. Then work your way back to the source. As
        an ISP tech, that's what we advise our clients who have problems. We
        have special rules for yahoo and aol because they're always a problem
        with greylisting and blacklisting. Comcast is notorious with
        heavy-handed mail filtering. I would not be surprised if those people
        missing emails are in the majority using Comcast.

        Bill

        Ray Sills wrote:
        > HI Jeff:
        >
        > Maybe that's it. I always post via email. I seem to get all of
        > Evan's posts, and Bill Degnan's posts. Strange, nonetheless.
        >
        > 73 de Ray
        >
        > On May 4, 2009, at 12:35 AM, Jeffrey Brace wrote:
        >

        >> I wonder if it matters whether I post from e-mail or through the
        >> web site.

      • Ray Sills
        Message 3 of 15 , May 4, 2009
          Bingo. Comcast is my ISP. Every now and then I consider moving to
          Gmail, but I like the way Apple Mail sorts things for me.

          73 de Ray

          Message 4 of 15 , May 4, 2009
            Replying to self....

            Well, this message below zipped right to and from Yahoo, to be posted
            in less than a minute. So everything seemed to work this time.

            73 de Ray

            Message 5 of 15 , May 4, 2009
              Ray,

              I believe Gmail supports IMAP4, if Apple Mail does as well, then move to
              Gmail but keep your email program.

              Jim

              Ray Sills wrote:gmail

              > Replying to self....
              >
              > Well, this message below zipped right to and from Yahoo, to be posted
              > in less than a minute. So everything seemed to work this time.
              >
              > 73 de Ray
              >
              > On May 4, 2009, at 8:45 AM, Ray Sills wrote:
              >
              > > Bingo. Comcast is my ISP. Every now and then I consider moving to
              > > Gmail, but I like the way Apple Mail sorts things for me.
              > >
              > > 73 de Ray
              > >
              > > On May 4, 2009, at 7:42 AM, B Degnan wrote:
              > >
              > >> Evan and Bill both use degnanco.net (my company) email.
              > >>
              > >> If you're not getting posts, compare your web mail with your
              > >> Outlook/whatever pop email you use to see if you're filtering the
              > >> messages at your computer. Then work your way back to the
              > >> source. As
              > >> an ISP tech, that's what we advise our clients who have problems. We
              > >> have special rules for yahoo and aol because they're always a problem
              > >> with greylisting and blacklisting. Comcast is notorious with
              > >> heavy-handed mail filtering. I would not be surprised if those
              > >> people
              > >> missing emails are in the majority using Comcast.
              > >>
              > >> Bill

            • Sridhar Ayengar
              Message 6 of 15 , May 4, 2009
                Jim Scheef wrote:
                > I believe Gmail supports IMAP4, if Apple Mail does as well, then move to
                > Gmail but keep your email program.

                Gmail doesn't support IMAP4.

                Peace... Sridhar
                Message 7 of 15 , May 5, 2009
                  From the Gmail features page:

                  Free IMAP
                  Sync your inbox across devices instantly and automatically. Whether you
                  read or write your email on your phone or on your desktop, changes you
                  make to Gmail will be seen from anywhere you access your inbox. Another
                  way to use Gmail on your iPhone is through the browser. By going to
                  m.gmail.com you get the full Gmail experience including conversation
                  view, search, and more. Learn how to set up IMAP on other devices.

                  Jim

                  Sridhar Ayengar wrote:

                  > Jim Scheef wrote:
                  > > I believe Gmail supports IMAP4, if Apple Mail does as well, then move to
                  > > Gmail but keep your email program.
                  >
                  > Gmail doesn't support IMAP4.
                  >
                  > Peace... Sridhar

                • Sridhar Ayengar
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 5, 2009
                    Jim Scheef wrote:
                    > From the Gmail features page:
                    >
                    > Free IMAP
                    > Sync your inbox across devices instantly and automatically. Whether you
                    > read or write your email on your phone or on your desktop, changes you
                    > make to Gmail will be seen from anywhere you access your inbox. Another
                    > way to use Gmail on your iPhone is through the browser. By going to
                    > m.gmail.com you get the full Gmail experience including conversation
                    > view, search, and more. Learn how to set up IMAP on other devices.

                    I didn't say Gmail doesn't support IMAP. I said Gmail doesn't support
                    IMAP4. Gmail's IMAP is IMAP2bis + proprietary extensions. It is most
                    certainly *not* IMAP4.

                    Peace... Sridhar