Re: [midatlanticretro] My day as tour guide for the Vintage Computer Museum

  • Jeffrey Brace
    Message 1 of 15 , May 3, 2009
      I wonder if it matters whether I post from e-mail or through the web site.

      Message 2 of 15 , May 4, 2009
        HI Jeff:

        Maybe that's it. I always post via email. I seem to get all of
        Evan's posts, and Bill Degnan's posts. Strange, nonetheless.

        73 de Ray

        P.S. Thanks Jeff for the direct copy of your post. Glad your day
        went so nicely at Info-Age.

        Message 3 of 15 , May 4, 2009
          Evan and Bill both use degnanco.net (my company) email.

          If you're not getting posts, compare your web mail with your
          Outlook/whatever pop email you use to see if you're filtering the
          messages at your computer. Then work your way back to the source. As
          an ISP tech, that's what we advise our clients who have problems. We
          have special rules for yahoo and aol because they're always a problem
          with greylisting and blacklisting. Comcast is notorious with
          heavy-handed mail filtering. I would not be surprised if those people
          missing emails are in the majority using Comcast.

          Bill

          Ray Sills wrote:
          > HI Jeff:
          >
          > Maybe that's it. I always post via email. I seem to get all of
          > Evan's posts, and Bill Degnan's posts. Strange, nonetheless.
          >
          > 73 de Ray
          >
          > On May 4, 2009, at 12:35 AM, Jeffrey Brace wrote:
          >

          >> I wonder if it matters whether I post from e-mail or through the
          >> web site.

        • Ray Sills
          Message 4 of 15 , May 4, 2009
            Bingo. Comcast is my ISP. Every now and then I consider moving to
            Gmail, but I like the way Apple Mail sorts things for me.

            73 de Ray

            Message 5 of 15 , May 4, 2009
              Replying to self....

              Well, this message below zipped right to and from Yahoo, to be posted
              in less than a minute. So everything seemed to work this time.

              73 de Ray

              Message 6 of 15 , May 4, 2009
                Ray,

                I believe Gmail supports IMAP4, if Apple Mail does as well, then move to
                Gmail but keep your email program.

                Jim

                Ray Sills wrote:gmail

                > Replying to self....
                >
                > Well, this message below zipped right to and from Yahoo, to be posted
                > in less than a minute. So everything seemed to work this time.
                >
                > 73 de Ray
                >
                > On May 4, 2009, at 8:45 AM, Ray Sills wrote:
                >
                > > Bingo. Comcast is my ISP. Every now and then I consider moving to
                > > Gmail, but I like the way Apple Mail sorts things for me.
                > >
                > > 73 de Ray
                > >
                > > On May 4, 2009, at 7:42 AM, B Degnan wrote:
                > >
                > >> Evan and Bill both use degnanco.net (my company) email.
                > >>
                > >> If you're not getting posts, compare your web mail with your
                > >> Outlook/whatever pop email you use to see if you're filtering the
                > >> messages at your computer. Then work your way back to the
                > >> source. As
                > >> an ISP tech, that's what we advise our clients who have problems. We
                > >> have special rules for yahoo and aol because they're always a problem
                > >> with greylisting and blacklisting. Comcast is notorious with
                > >> heavy-handed mail filtering. I would not be surprised if those
                > >> people
                > >> missing emails are in the majority using Comcast.
                > >>
                > >> Bill

              • Sridhar Ayengar
                Message 7 of 15 , May 4, 2009
                  Jim Scheef wrote:
                  > I believe Gmail supports IMAP4, if Apple Mail does as well, then move to
                  > Gmail but keep your email program.

                  Gmail doesn't support IMAP4.

                  Peace... Sridhar
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 5, 2009
                    From the Gmail features page:

                    Free IMAP
                    Sync your inbox across devices instantly and automatically. Whether you
                    read or write your email on your phone or on your desktop, changes you
                    make to Gmail will be seen from anywhere you access your inbox. Another
                    way to use Gmail on your iPhone is through the browser. By going to
                    m.gmail.com you get the full Gmail experience including conversation
                    view, search, and more. Learn how to set up IMAP on other devices.

                    Jim

                    Sridhar Ayengar wrote:

                    > Jim Scheef wrote:
                    > > I believe Gmail supports IMAP4, if Apple Mail does as well, then move to
                    > > Gmail but keep your email program.
                    >
                    > Gmail doesn't support IMAP4.
                    >
                    > Peace... Sridhar

                  • Sridhar Ayengar
                    Message 9 of 15 , May 5, 2009
                      Jim Scheef wrote:
                      > From the Gmail features page:
                      >
                      > Free IMAP
                      > Sync your inbox across devices instantly and automatically. Whether you
                      > read or write your email on your phone or on your desktop, changes you
                      > make to Gmail will be seen from anywhere you access your inbox. Another
                      > way to use Gmail on your iPhone is through the browser. By going to
                      > m.gmail.com you get the full Gmail experience including conversation
                      > view, search, and more. Learn how to set up IMAP on other devices.

                      I didn't say Gmail doesn't support IMAP. I said Gmail doesn't support
                      IMAP4. Gmail's IMAP is IMAP2bis + proprietary extensions. It is most
                      certainly *not* IMAP4.

                      Peace... Sridhar