Re: [midatlanticretro] My day as tour guide for the Vintage Computer Museum

  • Dan Roganti
    Message 1 of 15 , May 3, 2009

      yep, I didn't get Jeff's or Ray's posting but I got both of BD's postings
      This has been happening almost all week over here.
      I still get all my other mail, it's easy to check - sorting by thread.

      =Dan

      Bill Degnan wrote:
      Wearing my ISP hat, I think the issue is not with Yahoo, but with the
      filtering on the various ISP's.  Most ISP's have yahoo-specific rules, same
      with AOL.  Yahoo must have changed something
      bd

      Message 2 of 15 , May 3, 2009
        I wonder if it matters whether I post from e-mail or through the web site.

        Message 3 of 15 , May 4, 2009
          HI Jeff:

          Maybe that's it. I always post via email. I seem to get all of
          Evan's posts, and Bill Degnan's posts. Strange, nonetheless.

          73 de Ray

          P.S. Thanks Jeff for the direct copy of your post. Glad your day
          went so nicely at Info-Age.

          Message 4 of 15 , May 4, 2009
            Evan and Bill both use degnanco.net (my company) email.

            If you're not getting posts, compare your web mail with your
            Outlook/whatever pop email you use to see if you're filtering the
            messages at your computer. Then work your way back to the source. As
            an ISP tech, that's what we advise our clients who have problems. We
            have special rules for yahoo and aol because they're always a problem
            with greylisting and blacklisting. Comcast is notorious with
            heavy-handed mail filtering. I would not be surprised if those people
            missing emails are in the majority using Comcast.

            Bill

            Ray Sills wrote:
            > HI Jeff:
            >
            > Maybe that's it. I always post via email. I seem to get all of
            > Evan's posts, and Bill Degnan's posts. Strange, nonetheless.
            >
            > 73 de Ray
            >
            > On May 4, 2009, at 12:35 AM, Jeffrey Brace wrote:
            >

            >> I wonder if it matters whether I post from e-mail or through the
            >> web site.

          • Ray Sills
            Message 5 of 15 , May 4, 2009
              Bingo. Comcast is my ISP. Every now and then I consider moving to
              Gmail, but I like the way Apple Mail sorts things for me.

              73 de Ray

              Message 6 of 15 , May 4, 2009
                Replying to self....

                Well, this message below zipped right to and from Yahoo, to be posted
                in less than a minute. So everything seemed to work this time.

                73 de Ray

                Message 7 of 15 , May 4, 2009
                  Ray,

                  I believe Gmail supports IMAP4, if Apple Mail does as well, then move to
                  Gmail but keep your email program.

                  Jim

                  Ray Sills wrote:gmail

                  > Replying to self....
                  >
                  > Well, this message below zipped right to and from Yahoo, to be posted
                  > in less than a minute. So everything seemed to work this time.
                  >
                  > 73 de Ray
                  >
                  > On May 4, 2009, at 8:45 AM, Ray Sills wrote:
                  >
                  > > Bingo. Comcast is my ISP. Every now and then I consider moving to
                  > > Gmail, but I like the way Apple Mail sorts things for me.
                  > >
                  > > 73 de Ray
                  > >
                  > > On May 4, 2009, at 7:42 AM, B Degnan wrote:
                  > >
                  > >> Evan and Bill both use degnanco.net (my company) email.
                  > >>
                  > >> If you're not getting posts, compare your web mail with your
                  > >> Outlook/whatever pop email you use to see if you're filtering the
                  > >> messages at your computer. Then work your way back to the
                  > >> source. As
                  > >> an ISP tech, that's what we advise our clients who have problems. We
                  > >> have special rules for yahoo and aol because they're always a problem
                  > >> with greylisting and blacklisting. Comcast is notorious with
                  > >> heavy-handed mail filtering. I would not be surprised if those
                  > >> people
                  > >> missing emails are in the majority using Comcast.
                  > >>
                  > >> Bill

                • Sridhar Ayengar
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 4, 2009
                    Jim Scheef wrote:
                    > I believe Gmail supports IMAP4, if Apple Mail does as well, then move to
                    > Gmail but keep your email program.

                    Gmail doesn't support IMAP4.

                    Peace... Sridhar
                    Message 9 of 15 , May 5, 2009
                      From the Gmail features page:

                      Free IMAP
                      Sync your inbox across devices instantly and automatically. Whether you
                      read or write your email on your phone or on your desktop, changes you
                      make to Gmail will be seen from anywhere you access your inbox. Another
                      way to use Gmail on your iPhone is through the browser. By going to
                      m.gmail.com you get the full Gmail experience including conversation
                      view, search, and more. Learn how to set up IMAP on other devices.

                      Jim

                      Sridhar Ayengar wrote:

                      > Jim Scheef wrote:
                      > > I believe Gmail supports IMAP4, if Apple Mail does as well, then move to
                      > > Gmail but keep your email program.
                      >
                      > Gmail doesn't support IMAP4.
                      >
                      > Peace... Sridhar

                    • Sridhar Ayengar
                      Message 10 of 15 , May 5, 2009
                        Jim Scheef wrote:
                        > From the Gmail features page:
                        >
                        > Free IMAP
                        > Sync your inbox across devices instantly and automatically. Whether you
                        > read or write your email on your phone or on your desktop, changes you
                        > make to Gmail will be seen from anywhere you access your inbox. Another
                        > way to use Gmail on your iPhone is through the browser. By going to
                        > m.gmail.com you get the full Gmail experience including conversation
                        > view, search, and more. Learn how to set up IMAP on other devices.

                        I didn't say Gmail doesn't support IMAP. I said Gmail doesn't support
                        IMAP4. Gmail's IMAP is IMAP2bis + proprietary extensions. It is most
                        certainly *not* IMAP4.

                        Peace... Sridhar