Re: [midatlanticretro] My day as tour guide for the Vintage Computer Museum

  • Bill Degnan
    Message 1 of 15 , May 3 7:58 PM
      Wearing my ISP hat, I think the issue is not with Yahoo, but with the
      filtering on the various ISP's. Most ISP's have yahoo-specific rules, same
      with AOL. Yahoo must have changed something
      bd

      Message 2 of 15 , May 3 8:07 PM

        yep, I didn't get Jeff's or Ray's posting but I got both of BD's postings
        This has been happening almost all week over here.
        I still get all my other mail, it's easy to check - sorting by thread.

        =Dan

        Bill Degnan wrote:
        Wearing my ISP hat, I think the issue is not with Yahoo, but with the
        filtering on the various ISP's.  Most ISP's have yahoo-specific rules, same
        with AOL.  Yahoo must have changed something
        bd

        I never saw Jeff's posting, but I did see Bill's response on the
        list, which had the quote.  Something is odd at Yahoo.

        73 de Ray

        On May 3, 2009, at 10:18 PM, Bill Degnan wrote:

        good to hear.  Thanks Jeff.
        bd

        <snip>

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Jeffrey Brace
        Message 3 of 15 , May 3 9:35 PM
          I wonder if it matters whether I post from e-mail or through the web site.

          Message 4 of 15 , May 4 4:06 AM
            HI Jeff:

            Maybe that's it. I always post via email. I seem to get all of
            Evan's posts, and Bill Degnan's posts. Strange, nonetheless.

            73 de Ray

            P.S. Thanks Jeff for the direct copy of your post. Glad your day
            went so nicely at Info-Age.

            Message 5 of 15 , May 4 4:42 AM
              Evan and Bill both use degnanco.net (my company) email.

              If you're not getting posts, compare your web mail with your
              Outlook/whatever pop email you use to see if you're filtering the
              messages at your computer. Then work your way back to the source. As
              an ISP tech, that's what we advise our clients who have problems. We
              have special rules for yahoo and aol because they're always a problem
              with greylisting and blacklisting. Comcast is notorious with
              heavy-handed mail filtering. I would not be surprised if those people
              missing emails are in the majority using Comcast.

              Bill

              Ray Sills wrote:
              > HI Jeff:
              >
              > Maybe that's it. I always post via email. I seem to get all of
              > Evan's posts, and Bill Degnan's posts. Strange, nonetheless.
              >
              > 73 de Ray
              >
              > On May 4, 2009, at 12:35 AM, Jeffrey Brace wrote:
              >

              >> I wonder if it matters whether I post from e-mail or through the
              >> web site.

            • Ray Sills
              Message 6 of 15 , May 4 5:45 AM
                Bingo. Comcast is my ISP. Every now and then I consider moving to
                Gmail, but I like the way Apple Mail sorts things for me.

                73 de Ray

                Message 7 of 15 , May 4 5:46 AM
                  Replying to self....

                  Well, this message below zipped right to and from Yahoo, to be posted
                  in less than a minute. So everything seemed to work this time.

                  73 de Ray

                  Message 8 of 15 , May 4 2:13 PM
                    Ray,

                    I believe Gmail supports IMAP4, if Apple Mail does as well, then move to
                    Gmail but keep your email program.

                    Jim

                    Ray Sills wrote:gmail

                    > Replying to self....
                    >
                    > Well, this message below zipped right to and from Yahoo, to be posted
                    > in less than a minute. So everything seemed to work this time.
                    >
                    > 73 de Ray
                    >
                    > On May 4, 2009, at 8:45 AM, Ray Sills wrote:
                    >
                    > > Bingo. Comcast is my ISP. Every now and then I consider moving to
                    > > Gmail, but I like the way Apple Mail sorts things for me.
                    > >
                    > > 73 de Ray
                    > >
                    > > On May 4, 2009, at 7:42 AM, B Degnan wrote:
                    > >
                    > >> Evan and Bill both use degnanco.net (my company) email.
                    > >>
                    > >> If you're not getting posts, compare your web mail with your
                    > >> Outlook/whatever pop email you use to see if you're filtering the
                    > >> messages at your computer. Then work your way back to the
                    > >> source. As
                    > >> an ISP tech, that's what we advise our clients who have problems. We
                    > >> have special rules for yahoo and aol because they're always a problem
                    > >> with greylisting and blacklisting. Comcast is notorious with
                    > >> heavy-handed mail filtering. I would not be surprised if those
                    > >> people
                    > >> missing emails are in the majority using Comcast.
                    > >>
                    > >> Bill

                  • Sridhar Ayengar
                    Message 9 of 15 , May 4 2:56 PM
                      Jim Scheef wrote:
                      > I believe Gmail supports IMAP4, if Apple Mail does as well, then move to
                      > Gmail but keep your email program.

                      Gmail doesn't support IMAP4.

                      Peace... Sridhar
                      Message 10 of 15 , May 5 2:11 PM
                        From the Gmail features page:

                        Free IMAP
                        Sync your inbox across devices instantly and automatically. Whether you
                        read or write your email on your phone or on your desktop, changes you
                        make to Gmail will be seen from anywhere you access your inbox. Another
                        way to use Gmail on your iPhone is through the browser. By going to
                        m.gmail.com you get the full Gmail experience including conversation
                        view, search, and more. Learn how to set up IMAP on other devices.

                        Jim

                        Sridhar Ayengar wrote:

                        > Jim Scheef wrote:
                        > > I believe Gmail supports IMAP4, if Apple Mail does as well, then move to
                        > > Gmail but keep your email program.
                        >
                        > Gmail doesn't support IMAP4.
                        >
                        > Peace... Sridhar

                      • Sridhar Ayengar
                        Message 11 of 15 , May 5 3:18 PM
                          Jim Scheef wrote:
                          > From the Gmail features page:
                          >
                          > Free IMAP
                          > Sync your inbox across devices instantly and automatically. Whether you
                          > read or write your email on your phone or on your desktop, changes you
                          > make to Gmail will be seen from anywhere you access your inbox. Another
                          > way to use Gmail on your iPhone is through the browser. By going to
                          > m.gmail.com you get the full Gmail experience including conversation
                          > view, search, and more. Learn how to set up IMAP on other devices.

                          I didn't say Gmail doesn't support IMAP. I said Gmail doesn't support
                          IMAP4. Gmail's IMAP is IMAP2bis + proprietary extensions. It is most
                          certainly *not* IMAP4.

                          Peace... Sridhar