Re: [midatlanticretro] My day as tour guide for the Vintage Computer Museum

  • Ray Sills
    Message 1 of 15 , May 3, 2009
      Strange...

      I never saw Jeff's posting, but I did see Bill's response on the
      list, which had the quote. Something is odd at Yahoo.

      73 de Ray

      On May 3, 2009, at 10:18 PM, Bill Degnan wrote:

      > good to hear. Thanks Jeff.
      > bd

      <snip>
      Message 2 of 15 , May 3, 2009
        >>> I think I did a pretty good job

        Woot!
      • Bill Degnan
        Message 3 of 15 , May 3, 2009
          Wearing my ISP hat, I think the issue is not with Yahoo, but with the
          filtering on the various ISP's. Most ISP's have yahoo-specific rules, same
          with AOL. Yahoo must have changed something
          bd

          > I never saw Jeff's posting, but I did see Bill's response on the
          > list, which had the quote. Something is odd at Yahoo.
          >
          > 73 de Ray
          >
          > On May 3, 2009, at 10:18 PM, Bill Degnan wrote:
          >
          > > good to hear. Thanks Jeff.
          > > bd
          > >

          > <snip>

        • Dan Roganti
          Message 4 of 15 , May 3, 2009

            yep, I didn't get Jeff's or Ray's posting but I got both of BD's postings
            This has been happening almost all week over here.
            I still get all my other mail, it's easy to check - sorting by thread.

            =Dan

            Bill Degnan wrote:
            Wearing my ISP hat, I think the issue is not with Yahoo, but with the
            filtering on the various ISP's.  Most ISP's have yahoo-specific rules, same
            with AOL.  Yahoo must have changed something
            bd

            I never saw Jeff's posting, but I did see Bill's response on the
            list, which had the quote.  Something is odd at Yahoo.

            73 de Ray

            On May 3, 2009, at 10:18 PM, Bill Degnan wrote:

            good to hear.  Thanks Jeff.
            bd

            <snip>

            <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Jeffrey Brace
            Message 5 of 15 , May 3, 2009
              I wonder if it matters whether I post from e-mail or through the web site.

              Message 6 of 15 , May 4, 2009
                HI Jeff:

                Maybe that's it. I always post via email. I seem to get all of
                Evan's posts, and Bill Degnan's posts. Strange, nonetheless.

                73 de Ray

                P.S. Thanks Jeff for the direct copy of your post. Glad your day
                went so nicely at Info-Age.

                Message 7 of 15 , May 4, 2009
                  Evan and Bill both use degnanco.net (my company) email.

                  If you're not getting posts, compare your web mail with your
                  Outlook/whatever pop email you use to see if you're filtering the
                  messages at your computer. Then work your way back to the source. As
                  an ISP tech, that's what we advise our clients who have problems. We
                  have special rules for yahoo and aol because they're always a problem
                  with greylisting and blacklisting. Comcast is notorious with
                  heavy-handed mail filtering. I would not be surprised if those people
                  missing emails are in the majority using Comcast.

                  Bill

                  Ray Sills wrote:
                  > HI Jeff:
                  >
                  > Maybe that's it. I always post via email. I seem to get all of
                  > Evan's posts, and Bill Degnan's posts. Strange, nonetheless.
                  >
                  > 73 de Ray
                  >
                  > On May 4, 2009, at 12:35 AM, Jeffrey Brace wrote:
                  >

                  >> I wonder if it matters whether I post from e-mail or through the
                  >> web site.

                • Ray Sills
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 4, 2009
                    Bingo. Comcast is my ISP. Every now and then I consider moving to
                    Gmail, but I like the way Apple Mail sorts things for me.

                    73 de Ray

                    Message 9 of 15 , May 4, 2009
                      Replying to self....

                      Well, this message below zipped right to and from Yahoo, to be posted
                      in less than a minute. So everything seemed to work this time.

                      73 de Ray

                      Message 10 of 15 , May 4, 2009
                        Ray,

                        I believe Gmail supports IMAP4, if Apple Mail does as well, then move to
                        Gmail but keep your email program.

                        Jim

                        Ray Sills wrote:gmail

                        > Replying to self....
                        >
                        > Well, this message below zipped right to and from Yahoo, to be posted
                        > in less than a minute. So everything seemed to work this time.
                        >
                        > 73 de Ray
                        >
                        > On May 4, 2009, at 8:45 AM, Ray Sills wrote:
                        >
                        > > Bingo. Comcast is my ISP. Every now and then I consider moving to
                        > > Gmail, but I like the way Apple Mail sorts things for me.
                        > >
                        > > 73 de Ray
                        > >
                        > > On May 4, 2009, at 7:42 AM, B Degnan wrote:
                        > >
                        > >> Evan and Bill both use degnanco.net (my company) email.
                        > >>
                        > >> If you're not getting posts, compare your web mail with your
                        > >> Outlook/whatever pop email you use to see if you're filtering the
                        > >> messages at your computer. Then work your way back to the
                        > >> source. As
                        > >> an ISP tech, that's what we advise our clients who have problems. We
                        > >> have special rules for yahoo and aol because they're always a problem
                        > >> with greylisting and blacklisting. Comcast is notorious with
                        > >> heavy-handed mail filtering. I would not be surprised if those
                        > >> people
                        > >> missing emails are in the majority using Comcast.
                        > >>
                        > >> Bill

                      • Sridhar Ayengar
                        Message 11 of 15 , May 4, 2009
                          Jim Scheef wrote:
                          > I believe Gmail supports IMAP4, if Apple Mail does as well, then move to
                          > Gmail but keep your email program.

                          Gmail doesn't support IMAP4.

                          Peace... Sridhar
                          Message 12 of 15 , May 5, 2009
                            From the Gmail features page:

                            Free IMAP
                            Sync your inbox across devices instantly and automatically. Whether you
                            read or write your email on your phone or on your desktop, changes you
                            make to Gmail will be seen from anywhere you access your inbox. Another
                            way to use Gmail on your iPhone is through the browser. By going to
                            m.gmail.com you get the full Gmail experience including conversation
                            view, search, and more. Learn how to set up IMAP on other devices.

                            Jim

                            Sridhar Ayengar wrote:

                            > Jim Scheef wrote:
                            > > I believe Gmail supports IMAP4, if Apple Mail does as well, then move to
                            > > Gmail but keep your email program.
                            >
                            > Gmail doesn't support IMAP4.
                            >
                            > Peace... Sridhar

                          • Sridhar Ayengar
                            Message 13 of 15 , May 5, 2009
                              Jim Scheef wrote:
                              > From the Gmail features page:
                              >
                              > Free IMAP
                              > Sync your inbox across devices instantly and automatically. Whether you
                              > read or write your email on your phone or on your desktop, changes you
                              > make to Gmail will be seen from anywhere you access your inbox. Another
                              > way to use Gmail on your iPhone is through the browser. By going to
                              > m.gmail.com you get the full Gmail experience including conversation
                              > view, search, and more. Learn how to set up IMAP on other devices.

                              I didn't say Gmail doesn't support IMAP. I said Gmail doesn't support
                              IMAP4. Gmail's IMAP is IMAP2bis + proprietary extensions. It is most
                              certainly *not* IMAP4.

                              Peace... Sridhar