re: [midatlanticretro] My day as tour guide for the Vintage Computer Museum

  • Bill Degnan
    Message 1 of 15 , May 3, 2009
      good to hear. Thanks Jeff.
      bd

      -------- Original Message --------
      Museum

      > Hello everyone,
      >
      > I filled in for Evan at the museum today. Despite the rain, a good
      number of people stopped by the museum (around 15-20). This was my second
      time filling in for Evan, but I think I did a pretty good job.

      > There was some sort of free museum day in Monmouth County according to
      one woman that visited the museum. Maybe that is why we got more traffic
      than expected on a rainy day. She actually said that she worked at
      Perkin-Elmer a local company (Oceanport, NJ I believe) that made
      mini-computers. She the president of Perkin-Elmer Founded Interdata which
      was bought by Perkin-Elmer (we have one of their computers in the museum).
      She also said that he founded another company later on called Syntrex.

      > One father who seemed really interested was telling his son (who is about
      10 years old) how he used punch cards when he was in college. I showed
      them all the personal computers and the mini computer parts etc. I said
      how we like to be hands on for the most part unlike some other museums. I
      said you could even type in a simple program yourself. I didn't think he
      actually would, but the son typed in a short character animation program
      from the User Guide of the Commodore 64. He seemed to enjoy it. Hope I can
      spark some interest in him and others into supporting vintage computers and
      their history.

      > There seemed to be a mixture of 1) those just passing by 2) those mildly
      interested and 3) those with great interest (mostly because they had
      personal experience with any of these computers). It's nice to talk to
      people who used these computers first hand and get their personal
      experiences. I got a lot of positive feedback about what we are doing.

      > Since I have more knowledge of the Commodore 64 than any of the other
      computers. I had one opened up so I could show the chips inside. I even
      show a bit of the Jim Butterfield Commodore 64 training video from my
      laptop.

      > I got out of there at 4:30, which is 30 minutes later than the museum is
      supposed to be open, but I didn't mind giving one last tour that went over
      time.

      > It was fun and hope to do it again when I have time.
    • Ray Sills
      Message 2 of 15 , May 3, 2009
        Strange...

        I never saw Jeff's posting, but I did see Bill's response on the
        list, which had the quote. Something is odd at Yahoo.

        73 de Ray

        On May 3, 2009, at 10:18 PM, Bill Degnan wrote:

        > good to hear. Thanks Jeff.
        > bd

        <snip>
        Message 3 of 15 , May 3, 2009
          >>> I think I did a pretty good job

          Woot!
        • Bill Degnan
          Message 4 of 15 , May 3, 2009
            Wearing my ISP hat, I think the issue is not with Yahoo, but with the
            filtering on the various ISP's. Most ISP's have yahoo-specific rules, same
            with AOL. Yahoo must have changed something
            bd

            > I never saw Jeff's posting, but I did see Bill's response on the
            > list, which had the quote. Something is odd at Yahoo.
            >
            > 73 de Ray
            >
            > On May 3, 2009, at 10:18 PM, Bill Degnan wrote:
            >
            > > good to hear. Thanks Jeff.
            > > bd
            > >

            > <snip>

          • Dan Roganti
            Message 5 of 15 , May 3, 2009

              yep, I didn't get Jeff's or Ray's posting but I got both of BD's postings
              This has been happening almost all week over here.
              I still get all my other mail, it's easy to check - sorting by thread.

              =Dan

              Bill Degnan wrote:
              Wearing my ISP hat, I think the issue is not with Yahoo, but with the
              filtering on the various ISP's.  Most ISP's have yahoo-specific rules, same
              with AOL.  Yahoo must have changed something
              bd

              I never saw Jeff's posting, but I did see Bill's response on the
              list, which had the quote.  Something is odd at Yahoo.

              73 de Ray

              On May 3, 2009, at 10:18 PM, Bill Degnan wrote:

              good to hear.  Thanks Jeff.
              bd

              <snip>

              <*> Your email settings:
                  Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
                  (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • Jeffrey Brace
              Message 6 of 15 , May 3, 2009
                I wonder if it matters whether I post from e-mail or through the web site.

                Message 7 of 15 , May 4, 2009
                  HI Jeff:

                  Maybe that's it. I always post via email. I seem to get all of
                  Evan's posts, and Bill Degnan's posts. Strange, nonetheless.

                  73 de Ray

                  P.S. Thanks Jeff for the direct copy of your post. Glad your day
                  went so nicely at Info-Age.

                  Message 8 of 15 , May 4, 2009
                    Evan and Bill both use degnanco.net (my company) email.

                    If you're not getting posts, compare your web mail with your
                    Outlook/whatever pop email you use to see if you're filtering the
                    messages at your computer. Then work your way back to the source. As
                    an ISP tech, that's what we advise our clients who have problems. We
                    have special rules for yahoo and aol because they're always a problem
                    with greylisting and blacklisting. Comcast is notorious with
                    heavy-handed mail filtering. I would not be surprised if those people
                    missing emails are in the majority using Comcast.

                    Bill

                    Ray Sills wrote:
                    > HI Jeff:
                    >
                    > Maybe that's it. I always post via email. I seem to get all of
                    > Evan's posts, and Bill Degnan's posts. Strange, nonetheless.
                    >
                    > 73 de Ray
                    >
                    > On May 4, 2009, at 12:35 AM, Jeffrey Brace wrote:
                    >

                    >> I wonder if it matters whether I post from e-mail or through the
                    >> web site.

                  • Ray Sills
                    Message 9 of 15 , May 4, 2009
                      Bingo. Comcast is my ISP. Every now and then I consider moving to
                      Gmail, but I like the way Apple Mail sorts things for me.

                      73 de Ray

                      Message 10 of 15 , May 4, 2009
                        Replying to self....

                        Well, this message below zipped right to and from Yahoo, to be posted
                        in less than a minute. So everything seemed to work this time.

                        73 de Ray

                        Message 11 of 15 , May 4, 2009
                          Ray,

                          I believe Gmail supports IMAP4, if Apple Mail does as well, then move to
                          Gmail but keep your email program.

                          Jim

                          Ray Sills wrote:gmail

                          > Replying to self....
                          >
                          > Well, this message below zipped right to and from Yahoo, to be posted
                          > in less than a minute. So everything seemed to work this time.
                          >
                          > 73 de Ray
                          >
                          > On May 4, 2009, at 8:45 AM, Ray Sills wrote:
                          >
                          > > Bingo. Comcast is my ISP. Every now and then I consider moving to
                          > > Gmail, but I like the way Apple Mail sorts things for me.
                          > >
                          > > 73 de Ray
                          > >
                          > > On May 4, 2009, at 7:42 AM, B Degnan wrote:
                          > >
                          > >> Evan and Bill both use degnanco.net (my company) email.
                          > >>
                          > >> If you're not getting posts, compare your web mail with your
                          > >> Outlook/whatever pop email you use to see if you're filtering the
                          > >> messages at your computer. Then work your way back to the
                          > >> source. As
                          > >> an ISP tech, that's what we advise our clients who have problems. We
                          > >> have special rules for yahoo and aol because they're always a problem
                          > >> with greylisting and blacklisting. Comcast is notorious with
                          > >> heavy-handed mail filtering. I would not be surprised if those
                          > >> people
                          > >> missing emails are in the majority using Comcast.
                          > >>
                          > >> Bill

                        • Sridhar Ayengar
                          Message 12 of 15 , May 4, 2009
                            Jim Scheef wrote:
                            > I believe Gmail supports IMAP4, if Apple Mail does as well, then move to
                            > Gmail but keep your email program.

                            Gmail doesn't support IMAP4.

                            Peace... Sridhar
                            Message 13 of 15 , May 5, 2009
                              From the Gmail features page:

                              Free IMAP
                              Sync your inbox across devices instantly and automatically. Whether you
                              read or write your email on your phone or on your desktop, changes you
                              make to Gmail will be seen from anywhere you access your inbox. Another
                              way to use Gmail on your iPhone is through the browser. By going to
                              m.gmail.com you get the full Gmail experience including conversation
                              view, search, and more. Learn how to set up IMAP on other devices.

                              Jim

                              Sridhar Ayengar wrote:

                              > Jim Scheef wrote:
                              > > I believe Gmail supports IMAP4, if Apple Mail does as well, then move to
                              > > Gmail but keep your email program.
                              >
                              > Gmail doesn't support IMAP4.
                              >
                              > Peace... Sridhar

                            • Sridhar Ayengar
                              Message 14 of 15 , May 5, 2009
                                Jim Scheef wrote:
                                > From the Gmail features page:
                                >
                                > Free IMAP
                                > Sync your inbox across devices instantly and automatically. Whether you
                                > read or write your email on your phone or on your desktop, changes you
                                > make to Gmail will be seen from anywhere you access your inbox. Another
                                > way to use Gmail on your iPhone is through the browser. By going to
                                > m.gmail.com you get the full Gmail experience including conversation
                                > view, search, and more. Learn how to set up IMAP on other devices.

                                I didn't say Gmail doesn't support IMAP. I said Gmail doesn't support
                                IMAP4. Gmail's IMAP is IMAP2bis + proprietary extensions. It is most
                                certainly *not* IMAP4.

                                Peace... Sridhar