Re: [midatlanticretro] Stupid Windows 3.1 question

  • Jeffrey Frady
    Message 1 of 4 , May 3, 2009
      Hmm, as a former Windows 3.x user your post has peaked my interest.

      I have no been able to dig up the SDK for download but I do see it listed on Microsoft's website which states what extras were included for the Windows 3.11 version of the SDK.  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/115764  Microsoft only recently stopped support for Windows 3.x so it has to be floating around somewhere.  It was used for many embedded systems.

      On Sun, May 3, 2009 at 11:27 AM, Richard A. Cini <rcini@...> wrote:

      All:

          In one of my side projects, I’m setting up a small 486 system with Windows 3.1 and the development tools. Actually, it’s a really nice setup at this point: WFWG 3.11, QEMM 7.5, Internet Explorer 3, PC Tools, and the MSTCP stack.

          I have a basic question. I have the SDK/DDK for Windows 3.1 which is dated 3/23/92 (Windows 3.1) but the system I’m building is Windows for Workgroups 3.11 (11/1/93). A software version history document from Microsoft seems to indicate that the core system files had been updated between versions, but it doesn’t indicate what exactly changed. It appears that WFWG 3.1 was the network-enabled version of Windows 3.1 (same core files), which was then followed by minor-step upgrade for both products which had new core files (gdi, user, kernel and win386).

          Does anyone have the SDK/DDK for WFWG 3.11 that I could get a copy of? If so, please let me know. Thanks.

      Rich

      --
      Rich Cini
      Collector of Classic Computers

      --
      See you space cowboy...
    • Richard A. Cini

        Message 3 of 4 , May 4, 2009
          Rich,

          I was always told the rule was to use the latest DLL, but is that the
          latest version number or the latest file date? Once you have everything
          installed, run a "de-duplicator" program (common from those days of
          tight hard drive space) to find the duplicate DLLs. IIRC 16-bit DLLs do
          not carry the version number as meta-data visible in the properties
          dialog so you must rely on file dates and sizes. Here is the link to the
          DLL help database: http://support.microsoft.com/dllhelp/

          Good luck!
          Jim