Chips that changed the world

  • Richard A. Cini
    Message 1 of 11 , May 2, 2009
      Chips that changed the world All:

          For those interested, IEEE has an article about the 25 chips that changed the world. The NE555 is #1 and the 6502 is #2.

      http://spectrum.ieee.org/may09/8747

      Rich

      --
      Rich Cini
      Collector of Classic Computers
      Message 2 of 11 , May 2, 2009
        Rich,

        Thanks for the pointer. Very interesting! I wondow how many of these
        chips are in the Grabbe collection?

        Jim

        Richard A. Cini wrote:

        > All:
        >
        > For those interested, IEEE has an article about the 25 chips that
        > changed the world. The NE555 is #1 and the 6502 is #2.
        >
        > http://spectrum.ieee.org/may09/8747 <http://spectrum.ieee.org/may09/8747>
        >

        > Rich
        >
        > --
        > Rich Cini
        > Collector of Classic Computers
        > http://www.altair32.com <http://www.altair32.com>
        > http://www.classiccmp.org/cini <http://www.classiccmp.org/cini>

      • Brian Cirulnick
        Message 3 of 11 , May 4, 2009
          --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Richard A. Cini" <rcini@...> wrote:

          > For those interested, IEEE has an article about the 25 chips that
          > changed the world. The NE555 is #1 and the 6502 is #2.
          >
          > http://spectrum.ieee.org/may09/8747
          >
          >----------------

          What's funny is how many of those chips I've used in one way or another, but I disagree with some of their picks, for example, it would have been better to include the "Rockwell chipset" that made high-speed modems really affordable, and while I've no objection to the wonderful 555 as #1 (I've built a lot of crap with that chip), where is the 7XXX CMOS chips that were the basis of zillions of Radio Shack project books?

          Am I the only geek left that still finds those "150 in one electronics lab" kits fascinating?

          And how about the (I think) 85C05 that ran the very first laptops?

          Ah well....
          Message 4 of 11 , May 5, 2009

            I enjoyed the sidebar more than the main article: http://spectrum.ieee.org/may09/8849 -- why Bender's brain uses a MOS 6502.  :)
            Message 5 of 11 , May 5, 2009

              > Very interesting! I wondow how many of these chips are in the Grabbe collection?

              Our discussion last year about the "Top Eight" microcomputers of the 70s
              and 80s was a healthy debate, but I think we should form a special
              committee to decide which microchips belong on exhibit. The goal is to
              select which chips (a nice round or other significant amount would be
              good) are the "most historic" -- not necessarily the best-selling, or
              best technical-wise -- but simply most important to history.

              Who in MARCH would like to serve on this committee? Requirements: you
              must be people who are known for thinking rationally and having enough
              technical knowledge to make informed decisions about these things.

              Apply to me off-list please.
              Message 6 of 11 , May 5, 2009
                Evan,

                I think the exhibit should include a long black chip with legs on both
                sides and one that is that nice beige ceramic color...</tongue in cheek>

                What's to exhibit? They all look alike. If no one is willing to develop
                the signs that explain why the microcomputers already on exhibit are
                important, then a bunch of chips on a shelf in a display case is a total
                waste.

                Jim

                Message 7 of 11 , May 5, 2009
                  >>> if no one is willing to develop the signs that explain why the
                  microcomputers already on exhibit are important, then a bunch of chips
                  on a shelf in a display case is a total waste.

                  Don't be so skeptical. There are already signs, albeit simple ones, for
                  most of the systems that we have on display. As for the chips exhibit,
                  it certainly would not be merely "a bunch of chips on a shelf" .... I'm
                  only soliciting ideas for what could go into an exhibit, sparked by the
                  recent link from Rich C.
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 7, 2009
                    Evan,

                    A name tag is not a meaningful, informative sign. Signage should explain
                    why each machine is significant - why was it chosen for this "best of"
                    exhibit. Then there should be information about the chips and chip
                    families in the exhibit as a whole. And something about how these
                    machines were programmed - both the lineage of the BASIC language and
                    the machine languages. Something about the operating systems, both disk-
                    and ROM-based, would tie the machines to present day computers. Each
                    machine had strengths and weaknesses - what were they and why?

                    Such signs will not be easy, but with them, the exhibit would be truly
                    instructive for visitors. Each sign should be about a half-page of text
                    printed large enough so they can be read from several feet away. This is
                    a significant amount of work, but most of it does not require someone to
                    be at InfoAge and can be done anywhere.

                    Jim

                    Evan Koblentz wrote:

                    > microcomputers already on exhibit are important, then a bunch of chips
                    > on a shelf in a display case is a total waste.
                    >
                    > Don't be so skeptical. There are already signs, albeit simple ones, for
                    > most of the systems that we have on display. As for the chips exhibit,
                    > it certainly would not be merely "a bunch of chips on a shelf" .... I'm
                    > only soliciting ideas for what could go into an exhibit, sparked by the
                    > recent link from Rich C.

                  • Mike Loewen
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 8, 2009
                      On Thu, 7 May 2009, Jim Scheef wrote:

                      > A name tag is not a meaningful, informative sign. Signage should explain
                      > why each machine is significant - why was it chosen for this "best of"
                      > exhibit. Then there should be information about the chips and chip
                      > families in the exhibit as a whole. And something about how these
                      > machines were programmed - both the lineage of the BASIC language and
                      > the machine languages. Something about the operating systems, both disk-
                      > and ROM-based, would tie the machines to present day computers. Each
                      > machine had strengths and weaknesses - what were they and why?
                      >
                      > Such signs will not be easy, but with them, the exhibit would be truly
                      > instructive for visitors. Each sign should be about a half-page of text
                      > printed large enough so they can be read from several feet away. This is
                      > a significant amount of work, but most of it does not require someone to
                      > be at InfoAge and can be done anywhere.

                      Why not take a tip from the Computer History Museum?

                      http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/DSCN3460.JPG

                      I like their signs.

                      Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                    • Brian Cirulnick
                      Message 10 of 11 , May 8, 2009

                        > Why not take a tip from the Computer History Museum?
                        >
                        > http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/DSCN3460.JPG
                        >
                        > I like their signs.
                        ---------------------------

                        Is it me, or does it look like their signage was designed by someone who's a fan of SUN Microsystems? Between the purple color and the bold sans-serif, it looks like the design for the Sun cases around the time of the Ultra1 and Ultra2.

                        And I guess if you're an Apple fanboi, you'd use Garamond against white.

                        Maybe we should decide what kind of "look" we're going for too; while the text can be plain old whatever for legibility, title cards can be something consistent, a vintage 60's computer-y typeface like I use for "obsolyte!" or something more 8-bit/C=64 like what's on Bill's website...
                      • mejeep_ferret
                        Message 11 of 11 , May 19, 2009
                          > > For those interested, IEEE has an article about the 25 chips that
                          > > changed the world. The NE555 is #1 and the 6502 is #2.
                          > > http://spectrum.ieee.org/may09/8747

                          Many of those chips are after 1980, so they're out of scope for MARCH.

                          > Am I the only geek left that still finds those
                          > "150 in one electronics lab" kits fascinating?

                          Not at all! I'd love to play with it everyday just to remind myself of the basics and where I began. I think we as a nation are all the poorer for NOT having those readily available in schools and stores.

                          My email digest feed stopped, thus my being offline for a while. As the one who made the CPU-chip display for MARCH, I'd like to keep a hand in this. I kinda started with my web page
                          http://ferretronix.com/stuff/chips/

                          Yes, I need to catch up and make a web page of my "Z80 Ain't Dead" display from VCF East 2008, etc.

                          -- Jeff Jonas