Re: [midatlanticretro] OT: virus problem

    Message 1 of 20 , May 1, 2009
      Evan and all,

      I came in on this thread at the end and all of the advise so far has
      been good. I'll add two quotes from a security class I took some time back:

      "Once bad people have run code on your machine, you no longer own it,
      they do."

      "Once there is malware on your machine, you can never be sure you have
      removed it all. How can you ever be sure?"

      The best advice was to reinstall. I would wipe the hard disk with
      Darik's Boot 'n Nuke so even the partition table and MBR are wiped clean
      and then reinstall to what the computer believes is a brand new hard drive.

      Evan, your ego will be hurt far more when you declare the machine clean
      and this crap reinstalls itself. Bite the bullet now and give the guy a
      truly clean machine, with all patches applied and a completely up to
      date AV. When you reinstall, download XP SP3 to another machine so you
      can apply it before you connect to the Internet and then make the first
      connection be Windows Update.

      Good luck,
      Jim