Re: [midatlanticretro] MARCH library update

    Message 1 of 13 , May 1, 2009
      Evan,

      I thought the purpose of the water sealer was to keep out/reduce
      humidity in the library room - not liquid water. It was the concern
      about humidity and the resultant mildew that brought up the water
      sealer. Are you sure not doing it is a good idea or just an expediency?

      Jim

      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 12, 2011
        Post-VCF (although there's a small chance of doing this pre-VCF), we can get our library into order. I am really looking forward to that!

        I am pretty sure that we have full or at least mostly complete runs (at least through 1984) of Byte, Creative Computing, Dr. Dobb's Journal, Interface Age, and Kilobaud -- we also have doubles, triples, and even fourths and fifths of many issues.

        If we have any redundant full sets, then may consider selling those intact. If we do it, then MARCHins will have first dibs. After that we'd get into individual loose copies.

        We also have substantial (but incomplete / inconsistent) collections of ACGNJ, People's Computer Company, Hobby Computing, MITS Computer Notes, Recreational Computing, ROM, and SCCA Interface. Also, assorted issues of newsletters from Chicago and Dallas, and from the Xitan/TDL company.

        I am probably forgetting some other titles.

        Book-wise, we're stocked!

        We have most if not all of the Blacksburg Group Bugbooks, most if not all of the "Cookbook" series, dozens of general-audience computer books, and dozens (maybe hundreds) of academic/technical books covering all major aspects of computer science, electronics, and (to some extent) telecommunications. We also have a huge assortment of catalogs, data sheets, and manuals.

        We don't have a lot of computer history books per se. I have many in my personal library. Someday (probably when I finish writing my own book) I will donate them.

        In total, we have vastly more books / periodicals than we could ever fit on shelves in our current exhibit rooms.

        But thanks to Nick's recent monetary donation, and the availability of dozens of file cabinets at InfoAge, we can ensure that our library is stored in a respectable manner.