RE: [midatlanticretro] OT: virus problem

  • Kelly D. Leavitt
    Message 1 of 20 , May 1, 2009
      Apple -> Security through obscurity.

      -----Original Message-----
      From: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com on behalf of Dan Roganti
      Sent: Fri 5/1/2009 8:12 AM
      To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] OT: virus problem

      madodel wrote:

      Bully for you. But Macs, Linux (and to make Evan happy) OS/2-eCS don't
      have these problems. You are free to believe what you wish. Personally
      I'm tired of reading about "computer" or "pc" viruses, when they are all
      microsoft related.

      The reason there's more of this is basically more people hate Microsoft and try to sabotage their OS.
      None of these 'personal' operating systems are virus-proof

      The virus threat to Linux <http://www.desktoplinux.com/articles/AT3307459975.html>
      How to write a Linux virus in 5 easy steps <http://www.geekzone.co.nz/foobar/6229>

      Apple Admits Virus Threat, Recommends Antivirus Utilities <http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=3&url=http%3A%2F%2Fnews.softpedia.com%2Fnews%2FApple-Admits-Virus-Threat-Recommends-Antivirus-Utilities-98982.shtml&ei=g9r6SfbnMMbktgfT6MGQBw&usg=AFQjCNH7rEYy-Sj1rN9fo3v1KOcjsSsQQQ>
      OSX/Puper.a trojan which pretends to be a <http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_154438.htm> HDTV player <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-definition_television>

      =Dan

      [ = http://www2.applegate.org/~ragooman/ <http://www2.applegate.org/~ragooman/> ]
      Message 2 of 20 , May 1, 2009
        Evan and all,

        I came in on this thread at the end and all of the advise so far has
        been good. I'll add two quotes from a security class I took some time back:

        "Once bad people have run code on your machine, you no longer own it,
        they do."

        "Once there is malware on your machine, you can never be sure you have
        removed it all. How can you ever be sure?"

        The best advice was to reinstall. I would wipe the hard disk with
        Darik's Boot 'n Nuke so even the partition table and MBR are wiped clean
        and then reinstall to what the computer believes is a brand new hard drive.

        Evan, your ego will be hurt far more when you declare the machine clean
        and this crap reinstalls itself. Bite the bullet now and give the guy a
        truly clean machine, with all patches applied and a completely up to
        date AV. When you reinstall, download XP SP3 to another machine so you
        can apply it before you connect to the Internet and then make the first
        connection be Windows Update.

        Good luck,
        Jim