Re: [midatlanticretro] OT: virus problem

  • madodel
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 30, 2009
      Jeffrey Frady wrote:

      > That is just ignorance.

      It is not ignorance, it is plain fact. Some folks just can't handle that
      and I can appreciate that.

      > If you can't handle an OS, simply moving to another doesn't solve the
      > problem, it avoids it. I use Windows Vista/XP, Linux, and Mac OS X
      > daily. I appreciate them all equally.

      Bully for you. But Macs, Linux (and to make Evan happy) OS/2-eCS don't
      have these problems. You are free to believe what you wish. Personally
      I'm tired of reading about "computer" or "pc" viruses, when they are all
      microsoft related.

      > PS: I'm not trying to start a flame war or anything. Just stating my
      > opinion.

      And no flamewar was intended on my part since it was directed to Evan and
      he is appreciative of my low opinion of poorly designed software. However
      you are the one using inflammatory language.

      Mark
    • Dan Roganti
      Message 2 of 20 , May 1, 2009

        madodel wrote:
        Bully for you.  But Macs, Linux (and to make Evan happy) OS/2-eCS don't
        have these problems.  You are free to believe what you wish.  Personally
        I'm tired of reading about "computer" or "pc" viruses, when they are all
        microsoft related.

        The reason there's more of this is basically more people hate Microsoft and try to sabotage their OS.
        None of these 'personal' operating systems are virus-proof

        The virus threat to Linux
        How to write a Linux virus in 5 easy steps

        Apple Admits Virus Threat, Recommends Antivirus Utilities
        OSX/Puper.a   trojan which pretends to be a  HDTV player

        =Dan

      • Kelly D. Leavitt
        Message 3 of 20 , May 1, 2009
          Apple -> Security through obscurity.

          Bully for you. But Macs, Linux (and to make Evan happy) OS/2-eCS don't
          have these problems. You are free to believe what you wish. Personally
          I'm tired of reading about "computer" or "pc" viruses, when they are all
          microsoft related.

          The reason there's more of this is basically more people hate Microsoft and try to sabotage their OS.
          None of these 'personal' operating systems are virus-proof

          The virus threat to Linux <http://www.desktoplinux.com/articles/AT3307459975.html>
          How to write a Linux virus in 5 easy steps <http://www.geekzone.co.nz/foobar/6229>

          Apple Admits Virus Threat, Recommends Antivirus Utilities <http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=3&url=http%3A%2F%2Fnews.softpedia.com%2Fnews%2FApple-Admits-Virus-Threat-Recommends-Antivirus-Utilities-98982.shtml&ei=g9r6SfbnMMbktgfT6MGQBw&usg=AFQjCNH7rEYy-Sj1rN9fo3v1KOcjsSsQQQ>
          OSX/Puper.a trojan which pretends to be a <http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_154438.htm> HDTV player <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-definition_television>

          =Dan

          [ = http://www2.applegate.org/~ragooman/ <http://www2.applegate.org/~ragooman/> ]
          Message 4 of 20 , May 1, 2009
            Evan and all,

            I came in on this thread at the end and all of the advise so far has
            been good. I'll add two quotes from a security class I took some time back:

            "Once bad people have run code on your machine, you no longer own it,
            they do."

            "Once there is malware on your machine, you can never be sure you have
            removed it all. How can you ever be sure?"

            The best advice was to reinstall. I would wipe the hard disk with
            Darik's Boot 'n Nuke so even the partition table and MBR are wiped clean
            and then reinstall to what the computer believes is a brand new hard drive.

            Evan, your ego will be hurt far more when you declare the machine clean
            and this crap reinstalls itself. Bite the bullet now and give the guy a
            truly clean machine, with all patches applied and a completely up to
            date AV. When you reinstall, download XP SP3 to another machine so you
            can apply it before you connect to the Internet and then make the first
            connection be Windows Update.

            Good luck,
            Jim