Re: [midatlanticretro] OT: virus problem

  • Jeffrey Frady
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 30, 2009
      That is just ignorance.

      If you can't handle an OS, simply moving to another doesn't solve the problem, it avoids it.  I use Windows Vista/XP, Linux, and Mac OS X daily.  I appreciate them all equally.

      PS: I'm not trying to start a flame war or anything.  Just stating my opinion.

      On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 8:13 PM, madodel <madodel@...> wrote:

      evan@... wrote:

      > Three reasons -- not my computer, already promised I'd be able to fix it, and the best reason of all -- man v machine and I don't like to lose!!

      Well the one good thing is all this feverish activity makes me appreciate
      that I don't run any microsoft anything here. :-) Good luck. Advise them
      in the future to buy a Mac or install Linux. No one needs this headache
      any more.

      Mark

      --
      See you space cowboy...
      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 30, 2009
        I'm shocked that Mark suggested Linux and not OS/2!  :)

        evan@... wrote:

        > Three reasons -- not my computer, already promised I'd be able to fix it, and the best reason of all -- man v machine and I don't like to lose!!

        Well the one good thing is all this feverish activity makes me appreciate
        that I don't run any microsoft anything here. :-) Good luck. Advise them
        in the future to buy a Mac or install Linux. No one needs this headache
        any more.

        Mark

        --
        See you space cowboy...

      • madodel
        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 30, 2009
          Jeffrey Frady wrote:

          > That is just ignorance.

          It is not ignorance, it is plain fact. Some folks just can't handle that
          and I can appreciate that.

          > If you can't handle an OS, simply moving to another doesn't solve the
          > problem, it avoids it. I use Windows Vista/XP, Linux, and Mac OS X
          > daily. I appreciate them all equally.

          Bully for you. But Macs, Linux (and to make Evan happy) OS/2-eCS don't
          have these problems. You are free to believe what you wish. Personally
          I'm tired of reading about "computer" or "pc" viruses, when they are all
          microsoft related.

          > PS: I'm not trying to start a flame war or anything. Just stating my
          > opinion.

          And no flamewar was intended on my part since it was directed to Evan and
          he is appreciative of my low opinion of poorly designed software. However
          you are the one using inflammatory language.

          Mark
        • Dan Roganti
          Message 4 of 20 , May 1, 2009

            madodel wrote:
            Bully for you.  But Macs, Linux (and to make Evan happy) OS/2-eCS don't
            have these problems.  You are free to believe what you wish.  Personally
            I'm tired of reading about "computer" or "pc" viruses, when they are all
            microsoft related.

            The reason there's more of this is basically more people hate Microsoft and try to sabotage their OS.
            None of these 'personal' operating systems are virus-proof

            The virus threat to Linux
            How to write a Linux virus in 5 easy steps

            Apple Admits Virus Threat, Recommends Antivirus Utilities
            OSX/Puper.a   trojan which pretends to be a  HDTV player

            =Dan

          • Kelly D. Leavitt
            Message 5 of 20 , May 1, 2009
              Apple -> Security through obscurity.

              Bully for you. But Macs, Linux (and to make Evan happy) OS/2-eCS don't
              have these problems. You are free to believe what you wish. Personally
              I'm tired of reading about "computer" or "pc" viruses, when they are all
              microsoft related.

              The reason there's more of this is basically more people hate Microsoft and try to sabotage their OS.
              None of these 'personal' operating systems are virus-proof

              The virus threat to Linux <http://www.desktoplinux.com/articles/AT3307459975.html>
              How to write a Linux virus in 5 easy steps <http://www.geekzone.co.nz/foobar/6229>

              Apple Admits Virus Threat, Recommends Antivirus Utilities <http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=3&url=http%3A%2F%2Fnews.softpedia.com%2Fnews%2FApple-Admits-Virus-Threat-Recommends-Antivirus-Utilities-98982.shtml&ei=g9r6SfbnMMbktgfT6MGQBw&usg=AFQjCNH7rEYy-Sj1rN9fo3v1KOcjsSsQQQ>
              OSX/Puper.a trojan which pretends to be a <http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_154438.htm> HDTV player <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-definition_television>

              =Dan

              [ = http://www2.applegate.org/~ragooman/ <http://www2.applegate.org/~ragooman/> ]
              Message 6 of 20 , May 1, 2009
                Evan and all,

                I came in on this thread at the end and all of the advise so far has
                been good. I'll add two quotes from a security class I took some time back:

                "Once bad people have run code on your machine, you no longer own it,
                they do."

                "Once there is malware on your machine, you can never be sure you have
                removed it all. How can you ever be sure?"

                The best advice was to reinstall. I would wipe the hard disk with
                Darik's Boot 'n Nuke so even the partition table and MBR are wiped clean
                and then reinstall to what the computer believes is a brand new hard drive.

                Evan, your ego will be hurt far more when you declare the machine clean
                and this crap reinstalls itself. Bite the bullet now and give the guy a
                truly clean machine, with all patches applied and a completely up to
                date AV. When you reinstall, download XP SP3 to another machine so you
                can apply it before you connect to the Internet and then make the first
                connection be Windows Update.

                Good luck,
                Jim