RE: [midatlanticretro] OT: virus problem

  • Kelly D. Leavitt
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 30, 2009

    • Kelly D. Leavitt
      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 30, 2009
        > ------------------------------------
        > I like Kelly's idea.
        >
        >> "I've had OK luck on some of these troublesome ones by pulling the drive and
        >> connecting it using one of those really cheap USB/IDE adapter cables. Start a
        >> known good computer, make sure AUTO RUN is not on, then plug the drive/adapter
        >> into the known good machine. Scan from there.
        >>
        >> Kelly"

        > I never tried it that way but none of the files would be in use and the virus
        > code would not be running.
        > It sounds good, only question is --- Is there any risk of infecting the host
        > system?
        >
        > Bill Dromgoole .

        If you do anything other than scan it, then yes there is a chance. I have a plain vanilla XP Pro machine here that is nothing other than the OS, SP3, and security updates. I try to use this machine for scanning in severe cases. I have not buggered it up yet, but just in case...

        Kelly
      • madodel
        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 30, 2009
          evan@... wrote:

          > Three reasons -- not my computer, already promised I'd be able to fix it, and the best reason of all -- man v machine and I don't like to lose!!

          Well the one good thing is all this feverish activity makes me appreciate
          that I don't run any microsoft anything here. :-) Good luck. Advise them
          in the future to buy a Mac or install Linux. No one needs this headache
          any more.

          Mark
        • Jeffrey Frady
          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 30, 2009
            That is just ignorance.

            If you can't handle an OS, simply moving to another doesn't solve the problem, it avoids it.  I use Windows Vista/XP, Linux, and Mac OS X daily.  I appreciate them all equally.

            PS: I'm not trying to start a flame war or anything.  Just stating my opinion.

            --
            See you space cowboy...
            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 30, 2009
              I'm shocked that Mark suggested Linux and not OS/2!  :)

              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 30, 2009
                Jeffrey Frady wrote:

                > That is just ignorance.

                It is not ignorance, it is plain fact. Some folks just can't handle that
                and I can appreciate that.

                > If you can't handle an OS, simply moving to another doesn't solve the
                > problem, it avoids it. I use Windows Vista/XP, Linux, and Mac OS X
                > daily. I appreciate them all equally.

                Bully for you. But Macs, Linux (and to make Evan happy) OS/2-eCS don't
                have these problems. You are free to believe what you wish. Personally
                I'm tired of reading about "computer" or "pc" viruses, when they are all
                microsoft related.

                > PS: I'm not trying to start a flame war or anything. Just stating my
                > opinion.

                And no flamewar was intended on my part since it was directed to Evan and
                he is appreciative of my low opinion of poorly designed software. However
                you are the one using inflammatory language.

                Mark
              • Dan Roganti
                Message 7 of 20 , May 1, 2009

                  madodel wrote:
                  Bully for you.  But Macs, Linux (and to make Evan happy) OS/2-eCS don't
                  have these problems.  You are free to believe what you wish.  Personally
                  I'm tired of reading about "computer" or "pc" viruses, when they are all
                  microsoft related.

                  The reason there's more of this is basically more people hate Microsoft and try to sabotage their OS.
                  None of these 'personal' operating systems are virus-proof

                  The virus threat to Linux
                  How to write a Linux virus in 5 easy steps

                  Apple Admits Virus Threat, Recommends Antivirus Utilities
                  OSX/Puper.a   trojan which pretends to be a  HDTV player

                  =Dan

                • Kelly D. Leavitt
                  Message 8 of 20 , May 1, 2009
                    Apple -> Security through obscurity.

                    Bully for you. But Macs, Linux (and to make Evan happy) OS/2-eCS don't
                    have these problems. You are free to believe what you wish. Personally
                    I'm tired of reading about "computer" or "pc" viruses, when they are all
                    microsoft related.

                    The reason there's more of this is basically more people hate Microsoft and try to sabotage their OS.
                    None of these 'personal' operating systems are virus-proof

                    The virus threat to Linux <http://www.desktoplinux.com/articles/AT3307459975.html>
                    How to write a Linux virus in 5 easy steps <http://www.geekzone.co.nz/foobar/6229>

                    Apple Admits Virus Threat, Recommends Antivirus Utilities <http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=3&url=http%3A%2F%2Fnews.softpedia.com%2Fnews%2FApple-Admits-Virus-Threat-Recommends-Antivirus-Utilities-98982.shtml&ei=g9r6SfbnMMbktgfT6MGQBw&usg=AFQjCNH7rEYy-Sj1rN9fo3v1KOcjsSsQQQ>
                    OSX/Puper.a trojan which pretends to be a <http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_154438.htm> HDTV player <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-definition_television>

                    =Dan

                    [ = http://www2.applegate.org/~ragooman/ <http://www2.applegate.org/~ragooman/> ]
                    Message 9 of 20 , May 1, 2009
                      Evan and all,

                      I came in on this thread at the end and all of the advise so far has
                      been good. I'll add two quotes from a security class I took some time back:

                      "Once bad people have run code on your machine, you no longer own it,
                      they do."

                      "Once there is malware on your machine, you can never be sure you have
                      removed it all. How can you ever be sure?"

                      The best advice was to reinstall. I would wipe the hard disk with
                      Darik's Boot 'n Nuke so even the partition table and MBR are wiped clean
                      and then reinstall to what the computer believes is a brand new hard drive.

                      Evan, your ego will be hurt far more when you declare the machine clean
                      and this crap reinstalls itself. Bite the bullet now and give the guy a
                      truly clean machine, with all patches applied and a completely up to
                      date AV. When you reinstall, download XP SP3 to another machine so you
                      can apply it before you connect to the Internet and then make the first
                      connection be Windows Update.

                      Good luck,
                      Jim