Re: [midatlanticretro] Donner 3500 Analog Computer

    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 28 11:21 PM
      > I hope you have some intention of presenting this in a public forum,
      > say VCF east?
      I applied to give a lecture on this topic at the SHOT conference. It's
      scheduled for Oct. 15-19 in your area (Pittsburgh). Details are at
      http://www.historyoftechnology.org/annual_meeting.html.

      My topic, if accepted, is along the lines of "Unusual origins of
      portable computing".

      I am reluctant to share the story(s) in any public forums until after I
      publish on my own terms. SHOT typically does not include any media, so
      it's basically a safe place to vet one's research and receive
      constrictive critiques from the most respected historians, before
      sharing things with the whole world.
    • Dan Roganti
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 29 3:58 AM

        Evan Koblentz wrote:
        I applied to give a lecture on this topic at the SHOT conference.  It's
        scheduled for Oct. 15-19 in your area (Pittsburgh).  Details are at
        http://www.historyoftechnology.org/annual_meeting.html.

        Let me know when you get accepted, we'll have to meetup and play some vintage pinball.
        I hope they give you some lead time, it's getting closer.

        =Dan
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 30 3:50 PM

          > I have two of these...one is a Donner 3500 and the other is a Systron-Donner 3500. They are pretty much alike. However, the one on ebay has three major difference...it doesn't seem to have any potentiometers at the top, the patchboard has an opening for the fan and it has metal handles on the top instead of leather straps on the side.

          I wonder if the metal handles were an option or homebrewed? I have a
          full-page magazine ad (I'm not clear on the issue/date, but it's from
          when the 3500 was new) ... it includes a nice picture and shows the
          leather straps.