Re: [midatlanticretro] Donner 3500 Analog Computer

  • Dan Roganti
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 28, 2009

      Evan Koblentz wrote:

      BTW, I have some inside info on the story of the guys who designed this
      computer. Saving it for my book though!!!

      I must say, while having the chance to write a book is commendable and we all have a right to earn a living.

      But just remember that while books may have a copyright, no one has a copyright on History.

      I hope you have some intention of presenting this in a public forum, say VCF east ?

      =Dan

    • Mike Loewen
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 28, 2009
        On Tue, 28 Apr 2009, Bill Degnan wrote:

        > Do you ever host tours of your museum?
        >
        > I had contacted you about it some time agao..I live only 20 minutes away
        > but I bet there are many in this group that would love to see your systems
        > and would be willing to travel.

        I'll add my interest to that (if possible). I'm only about 2 hours
        away.

        Mike Loewen mloewen@...
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 28, 2009
          > I hope you have some intention of presenting this in a public forum,
          > say VCF east?
          I applied to give a lecture on this topic at the SHOT conference. It's
          scheduled for Oct. 15-19 in your area (Pittsburgh). Details are at
          http://www.historyoftechnology.org/annual_meeting.html.

          My topic, if accepted, is along the lines of "Unusual origins of
          portable computing".

          I am reluctant to share the story(s) in any public forums until after I
          publish on my own terms. SHOT typically does not include any media, so
          it's basically a safe place to vet one's research and receive
          constrictive critiques from the most respected historians, before
          sharing things with the whole world.
        • Dan Roganti
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 29, 2009

            Evan Koblentz wrote:
            I applied to give a lecture on this topic at the SHOT conference.  It's
            scheduled for Oct. 15-19 in your area (Pittsburgh).  Details are at
            http://www.historyoftechnology.org/annual_meeting.html.

            Let me know when you get accepted, we'll have to meetup and play some vintage pinball.
            I hope they give you some lead time, it's getting closer.

            =Dan
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 30, 2009

              > I have two of these...one is a Donner 3500 and the other is a Systron-Donner 3500. They are pretty much alike. However, the one on ebay has three major difference...it doesn't seem to have any potentiometers at the top, the patchboard has an opening for the fan and it has metal handles on the top instead of leather straps on the side.

              I wonder if the metal handles were an option or homebrewed? I have a
              full-page magazine ad (I'm not clear on the issue/date, but it's from
              when the 3500 was new) ... it includes a nice picture and shows the
              leather straps.