Re: Donner 3500 Analog Computer

  • Michael
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 28, 2009
      I have two of these...one is a Donner 3500 and the other is a Systron-Donner 3500. They are pretty much alike. However, the one on ebay has three major difference...it doesn't seem to have any potentiometers at the top, the patchboard has an opening for the fan and it has metal handles on the top instead of leather straps on the side. It's also a low serial number and I thought the it might go for around $2200-2400...it actually went for over 2500. You can compare the pictures on ebay with some I have at www.earlycomputers.com.

      > I don't know the value in dollars -- Michael Pearson would know better
      > than anyone: http://www.earlycomputers.com/cgi-bin/contact-us.cgi -- but
      > I do know this is VERY rare and I'd love to own one, if only I had a
      > job. The chance to bid on this, in good condition and with manuals,
      > etc., is quite rare. It's the kind of computer that I would be willing
      > to liquidate an Altair or IMSAI to acquire. Does that make my point
      > clearly enough?
      >
      > BTW, I have some inside info on the story of the guys who designed this
      > computer. Saving it for my book though!!!
      >

      > > Any comments on the value of this? I am not planning to bid. The 3500
      > > came out at about the same time as the Heathkit EC-1.
      > >
      > > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=
      > > 320364396376
      > >
      > > Bil

    • Bill Degnan
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 28, 2009
        I noticed that your 3500 with the slant in the front for the controls.

        > I have two of these...one is a Donner 3500 and the other is a
        Systron-Donner 3500. They are pretty much alike. However, the one on ebay
        has three major difference...it doesn't seem to have any potentiometers at
        the top, the patchboard has an opening for the fan and it has metal handles
        on the top instead of leather straps on the side. It's also a low serial
        number and I thought the it might go for around $2200-2400...it actually
        went for over 2500. You can compare the pictures on ebay with some I have
        at www.earlycomputers.com.

        > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > I don't know the value in dollars -- Michael Pearson would know better

        > > than anyone: http://www.earlycomputers.com/cgi-bin/contact-us.cgi --
        but
        > > I do know this is VERY rare and I'd love to own one, if only I had a
        > > job. The chance to bid on this, in good condition and with manuals,
        > > etc., is quite rare. It's the kind of computer that I would be willing

        > > to liquidate an Altair or IMSAI to acquire. Does that make my point
        > > clearly enough?
        > >
        > > BTW, I have some inside info on the story of the guys who designed this

        > > computer. Saving it for my book though!!!
        > >

        > > > Any comments on the value of this? I am not planning to bid. The
        3500
        > > > came out at about the same time as the Heathkit EC-1.

        http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=

        > > > 320364396376
        > > >
        > > > Bil

      • Bill Degnan
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 28, 2009
          Do you ever host tours of your museum?

          I had contacted you about it some time agao..I live only 20 minutes away
          but I bet there are many in this group that would love to see your systems
          and would be willing to travel.

          Bill

          > I noticed that your 3500 with the slant in the front for the controls.

        • Dan Roganti
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 28, 2009

            Evan Koblentz wrote:

            BTW, I have some inside info on the story of the guys who designed this
            computer. Saving it for my book though!!!

            I must say, while having the chance to write a book is commendable and we all have a right to earn a living.

            But just remember that while books may have a copyright, no one has a copyright on History.

            I hope you have some intention of presenting this in a public forum, say VCF east ?

            =Dan

          • Mike Loewen
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 28, 2009
              On Tue, 28 Apr 2009, Bill Degnan wrote:

              > Do you ever host tours of your museum?
              >
              > I had contacted you about it some time agao..I live only 20 minutes away
              > but I bet there are many in this group that would love to see your systems
              > and would be willing to travel.

              I'll add my interest to that (if possible). I'm only about 2 hours
              away.

              Mike Loewen mloewen@...
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 28, 2009
                > I hope you have some intention of presenting this in a public forum,
                > say VCF east?
                I applied to give a lecture on this topic at the SHOT conference. It's
                scheduled for Oct. 15-19 in your area (Pittsburgh). Details are at
                http://www.historyoftechnology.org/annual_meeting.html.

                My topic, if accepted, is along the lines of "Unusual origins of
                portable computing".

                I am reluctant to share the story(s) in any public forums until after I
                publish on my own terms. SHOT typically does not include any media, so
                it's basically a safe place to vet one's research and receive
                constrictive critiques from the most respected historians, before
                sharing things with the whole world.
              • Dan Roganti
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 29, 2009

                  Evan Koblentz wrote:
                  I applied to give a lecture on this topic at the SHOT conference.  It's
                  scheduled for Oct. 15-19 in your area (Pittsburgh).  Details are at
                  http://www.historyoftechnology.org/annual_meeting.html.

                  Let me know when you get accepted, we'll have to meetup and play some vintage pinball.
                  I hope they give you some lead time, it's getting closer.

                  =Dan
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 30, 2009

                    > I have two of these...one is a Donner 3500 and the other is a Systron-Donner 3500. They are pretty much alike. However, the one on ebay has three major difference...it doesn't seem to have any potentiometers at the top, the patchboard has an opening for the fan and it has metal handles on the top instead of leather straps on the side.

                    I wonder if the metal handles were an option or homebrewed? I have a
                    full-page magazine ad (I'm not clear on the issue/date, but it's from
                    when the 3500 was new) ... it includes a nice picture and shows the
                    leather straps.