Donner 3500 Analog Computer

  • Bill Degnan
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 28, 2009
      Any comments on the value of this? I am not planning to bid. The 3500
      came out at about the same time as the Heathkit EC-1.

      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=
      320364396376

      Bil
    • Mike Loewen
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 28, 2009
        On Tue, 28 Apr 2009, Bill Degnan wrote:

        > Any comments on the value of this? I am not planning to bid. The 3500
        > came out at about the same time as the Heathkit EC-1.
        >
        > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=
        > 320364396376

        I'm just watching it to see how much I might be able to get for my EAI
        TR-20. :-)

        Mike Loewen mloewen@...
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 28, 2009
          I don't know the value in dollars -- Michael Pearson would know better
          than anyone: http://www.earlycomputers.com/cgi-bin/contact-us.cgi -- but
          I do know this is VERY rare and I'd love to own one, if only I had a
          job. The chance to bid on this, in good condition and with manuals,
          etc., is quite rare. It's the kind of computer that I would be willing
          to liquidate an Altair or IMSAI to acquire. Does that make my point
          clearly enough?

          BTW, I have some inside info on the story of the guys who designed this
          computer. Saving it for my book though!!!

          > Any comments on the value of this? I am not planning to bid. The 3500
          > came out at about the same time as the Heathkit EC-1.
          >
          > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=
          > 320364396376
          >
          > Bil

        • Anthony L. Eros
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 28, 2009

            I'd heard of the Donner party, but not the Donner analog computer.

            A bit out of my price range, I'm afraid.  Very cool, though.

            -- Tony

            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 28, 2009
              I have two of these...one is a Donner 3500 and the other is a Systron-Donner 3500. They are pretty much alike. However, the one on ebay has three major difference...it doesn't seem to have any potentiometers at the top, the patchboard has an opening for the fan and it has metal handles on the top instead of leather straps on the side. It's also a low serial number and I thought the it might go for around $2200-2400...it actually went for over 2500. You can compare the pictures on ebay with some I have at www.earlycomputers.com.

              > I don't know the value in dollars -- Michael Pearson would know better
              > than anyone: http://www.earlycomputers.com/cgi-bin/contact-us.cgi -- but
              > I do know this is VERY rare and I'd love to own one, if only I had a
              > job. The chance to bid on this, in good condition and with manuals,
              > etc., is quite rare. It's the kind of computer that I would be willing
              > to liquidate an Altair or IMSAI to acquire. Does that make my point
              > clearly enough?
              >
              > BTW, I have some inside info on the story of the guys who designed this
              > computer. Saving it for my book though!!!
              >

              > > Any comments on the value of this? I am not planning to bid. The 3500
              > > came out at about the same time as the Heathkit EC-1.
              > >
              > > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=
              > > 320364396376
              > >
              > > Bil

            • Bill Degnan
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 28, 2009
                I noticed that your 3500 with the slant in the front for the controls.

                > I have two of these...one is a Donner 3500 and the other is a
                Systron-Donner 3500. They are pretty much alike. However, the one on ebay
                has three major difference...it doesn't seem to have any potentiometers at
                the top, the patchboard has an opening for the fan and it has metal handles
                on the top instead of leather straps on the side. It's also a low serial
                number and I thought the it might go for around $2200-2400...it actually
                went for over 2500. You can compare the pictures on ebay with some I have
                at www.earlycomputers.com.

                > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > I don't know the value in dollars -- Michael Pearson would know better

                > > than anyone: http://www.earlycomputers.com/cgi-bin/contact-us.cgi --
                but
                > > I do know this is VERY rare and I'd love to own one, if only I had a
                > > job. The chance to bid on this, in good condition and with manuals,
                > > etc., is quite rare. It's the kind of computer that I would be willing

                > > to liquidate an Altair or IMSAI to acquire. Does that make my point
                > > clearly enough?
                > >
                > > BTW, I have some inside info on the story of the guys who designed this

                > > computer. Saving it for my book though!!!
                > >

                > > > Any comments on the value of this? I am not planning to bid. The
                3500
                > > > came out at about the same time as the Heathkit EC-1.

                http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=

                > > > 320364396376
                > > >
                > > > Bil

              • Bill Degnan
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 28, 2009
                  Do you ever host tours of your museum?

                  I had contacted you about it some time agao..I live only 20 minutes away
                  but I bet there are many in this group that would love to see your systems
                  and would be willing to travel.

                  Bill

                  > I noticed that your 3500 with the slant in the front for the controls.

                • Dan Roganti
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 28, 2009

                    Evan Koblentz wrote:

                    BTW, I have some inside info on the story of the guys who designed this
                    computer. Saving it for my book though!!!

                    I must say, while having the chance to write a book is commendable and we all have a right to earn a living.

                    But just remember that while books may have a copyright, no one has a copyright on History.

                    I hope you have some intention of presenting this in a public forum, say VCF east ?

                    =Dan

                  • Mike Loewen
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 28, 2009
                      On Tue, 28 Apr 2009, Bill Degnan wrote:

                      > Do you ever host tours of your museum?
                      >
                      > I had contacted you about it some time agao..I live only 20 minutes away
                      > but I bet there are many in this group that would love to see your systems
                      > and would be willing to travel.

                      I'll add my interest to that (if possible). I'm only about 2 hours
                      away.

                      Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 28, 2009
                        > I hope you have some intention of presenting this in a public forum,
                        > say VCF east?
                        I applied to give a lecture on this topic at the SHOT conference. It's
                        scheduled for Oct. 15-19 in your area (Pittsburgh). Details are at
                        http://www.historyoftechnology.org/annual_meeting.html.

                        My topic, if accepted, is along the lines of "Unusual origins of
                        portable computing".

                        I am reluctant to share the story(s) in any public forums until after I
                        publish on my own terms. SHOT typically does not include any media, so
                        it's basically a safe place to vet one's research and receive
                        constrictive critiques from the most respected historians, before
                        sharing things with the whole world.
                      • Dan Roganti
                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 29, 2009

                          Evan Koblentz wrote:
                          I applied to give a lecture on this topic at the SHOT conference.  It's
                          scheduled for Oct. 15-19 in your area (Pittsburgh).  Details are at
                          http://www.historyoftechnology.org/annual_meeting.html.

                          Let me know when you get accepted, we'll have to meetup and play some vintage pinball.
                          I hope they give you some lead time, it's getting closer.

                          =Dan
                          Message 12 of 12 , Apr 30, 2009

                            > I have two of these...one is a Donner 3500 and the other is a Systron-Donner 3500. They are pretty much alike. However, the one on ebay has three major difference...it doesn't seem to have any potentiometers at the top, the patchboard has an opening for the fan and it has metal handles on the top instead of leather straps on the side.

                            I wonder if the metal handles were an option or homebrewed? I have a
                            full-page magazine ad (I'm not clear on the issue/date, but it's from
                            when the 3500 was new) ... it includes a nice picture and shows the
                            leather straps.