Visual Computer

  • billdeg
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 9, 2005
      And when you least expect it...
      I run an ad in the local newspaper (Wilmington News Journal) each
      week under the name "The Delaware Computer Museum" and I have been
      pleased to find that this ad has shaken free some hidden gems from
      my area.

      I run the "museum" at my office. I have about 1/2 my collection
      there in the lobby and back room, the rest are at home in my
      workshop. If you are in Wilmington Delaware stop by. I have micros
      from 77-89 on display.

      Anyway, today a man came in holding a primitive laptop computer
      called the "Visual Commuter". This brand I had not seen before, but
      I knew to be one of the first laptops. Everything works.
      I will put up pictures on my web site some day
      (vintagecomputer.net), but in the mean time here are two links that
      pretty much sum this bugger up.

      http://oldcomputers.net/commuter.html

      http://www.dak.com/catalogscans/1986computer.htm
      I believe that the original owner purchased this computer from DAK
      surplus because I have all of the items (same monitor, software, and
      printer) pictured on the link above.
    • evan
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 9, 2005
        Cool find! The specs on the oldcomputers.net page agree with the specs in Mike
        Nadeau's book, "Collectible Microcomputers."

        By the way, Mike emailed me today, and said he has a work committment (he's
        just been promoted) and so he can't attend the TCF. But he still will send us
        some copies of his book to give away as prizes, etc.

        --- billdeg <billdeg@...> wrote:

        > And when you least expect it...
        > I run an ad in the local newspaper (Wilmington News Journal) each
        > week under the name "The Delaware Computer Museum" and I have been
        > pleased to find that this ad has shaken free some hidden gems from
        > my area.
        >
        > I run the "museum" at my office. I have about 1/2 my collection
        > there in the lobby and back room, the rest are at home in my
        > workshop. If you are in Wilmington Delaware stop by. I have micros
        > from 77-89 on display.
        >
        > Anyway, today a man came in holding a primitive laptop computer
        > called the "Visual Commuter". This brand I had not seen before, but
        > I knew to be one of the first laptops. Everything works.
        > I will put up pictures on my web site some day
        > (vintagecomputer.net), but in the mean time here are two links that
        > pretty much sum this bugger up.
        >
        > http://oldcomputers.net/commuter.html
        >
        > http://www.dak.com/catalogscans/1986computer.htm
        > I believe that the original owner purchased this computer from DAK
        > surplus because I have all of the items (same monitor, software, and
        > printer) pictured on the link above.

        Evan's personal homepage: www.snarc.net

        *** Tell your friends about the Computer Collector Newsletter!
        - It's free and we'll never send spam or share your email address
        - Publishing every Monday(-ish), ask about writing for us
        - We're approaching 700 readers: win a prize!