Re: [midatlanticretro] Flea Market Find...Grid Laptop

  • billdeg@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 6, 2005
      Chris,
      Nice to eMeet you.

      I used to be one of only two GRiD 1040 support techs for a sales force of 2000 that used that model.  I have a lot of experience with these units.

      The biggest problem we had was the power supplies going dead.  Once the harddrive died that was that, we dumped them but it happened infrequently.

      To boot from floppy:
      -Do you have/need a power supply for the external drive?  Mine needs one.
      -Check the dip switch settings on the back of the drive, and verify that it's set as drive A.
      -Off the top of my head I do not remember the harddrive bypass key that you can hold down to boot from the floppy because I no longer have the manuals.  Maybe it's "f" or "TAB" or "TAB+ f " I used to have manuals coming out the wazoo along with about 5 GRiD 1040's, but I trashed them years ago before I got into vintage computers.  I have created a GRiD 1040 boot disk if you want one, let me know.

      This weekend I have fully restored and cleaned my GRiD (outside in the backyard on the patio and a few beers).  That DOS ROM chip is pretty cool, but the internal 3.5 and ROM chip are both interpreted as drive A and there is no way around it.    Almost like an A and A' if you know what I mean.  The interal 3.5 is read first.  The external 5 1/4" is set to be B.  I can make the 5 1/4 the A drive but that doesn't work too well.  If I tinker with it I bet I could use a ZIP 100 drive with this system.

      Bill

      In a message dated 9/5/2005 10:34:29 PM Eastern Daylight Time, cfandt@... writes:
      Who's me? Well, I'm a lurker who joined the list back in March '05 just
      after Evan announced the group. I am in Western New York State, ~80 miles
      South of Buffalo, ~55 miles due East of Erie, and ~155 miles North of
      Pittsburgh. Therefore, I'm not very able to run out to the Right Coast to
      attend MARCH activities, NJARC activities, or other fun things. 6 hrs to
      NYC from here.

      Just consider me a supporter of the club. I'm much more into early radio,
      like the NJARC group, but classic computers are a rather strong side
      interest. I have, amongst a bunch of small and big-iron non-PC machines,
      about seven or eight laptops of various vintages and conditions.

      I too would like to get any literature and anything else that could be
      found for this machine, if any is in fact extant. Copy costs and postage
      shall be happily reimbursed. .pdf files from any literature found and
      scanned work for me too.

      Regards,  Chris F.

    • billdeg@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 6, 2005
        I also have a Visual Computer "Commuter" - the first LCD laptop.
        bd

        In a message dated 9/5/2005 10:47:23 PM Eastern Daylight Time, evan947@... writes:
        Between these Grid models, my Epson HX-20, Kelly's Tandy laptops, etc., maybe we can combine for an impressive early laptops display at East 3.0 next spring.

      • Vintage Computer Festival
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 7, 2005
          On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 billdeg@... wrote:

          > I also have a Visual Computer "Commuter" - the first LCD laptop.

          You mean this precedes the GRiD Compass 1101, Sharp PC-5000, Gavilan,
          Dulmont Magnum, Epson HX-20, etc.?

          (Hint: no ;)

          --

          Sellam Ismail Vintage Computer Festival

        • billdeg@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 8, 2005
            To clarify, the first IBM-compatible with an LCD display.
            Bill