Hello from Maryland

  • stevekimos
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 23 4:50 AM
      Evan K. suggested joining. We exchanged posts over on The Vintage Computer Forum. Nothing ventured, so here goes. The whole "newsgroup" thing is a new experience, so please forgive any protocol violations.

      My interest in old/vintage/retro computers is quite new. However, I have fond memories of computer systems encountered during the late 70s through the 80s. Much of what I recall during my early professional career focused on a Pr1me micro system. Also, maybe there were some Zenith 286s with monochrome monitors around the office somewhere.

      At this point, I have no vintage gear. The oldest machine here at home is a 486 that at least has a hard-drive lock and a turbo control. Not sure yet what vintage gear I might want to acquire, but an IBM XT/286 machine might be fun to play with.

      It might be interesting to attend the September outing. We'll see what happens!

      Cheers,
      Steve
    • Jeffrey Brace
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 23 9:55 PM
        Welcome Steve,

        You will find everyone here very helpful. There is diverse interest in various systems both popular and not.  Even if you don't actually want to own one, it's fun to talk about them, learn about them and their history and play with various models.

        I used a 286 at work and thought a 386 was so much faster at the time. Then the 486 came out and I thought it was blazing fast !

        Within the last year. I, myself have gotten back into Commodore 64. I would usually just fire it up once a year in the summer. This time I decided to see if there were others out there that were still into the ol' 64.  I found others on IRC channels and then I found out about VCF. So here I am.  I have learned more in the past year than in the 20 or so years I have owned my c64.  Learning from others and enjoying vintage computers.

        So now I'm collecting Commodore computers and also have a side interest in Atari 2600 games.  I have even taken a try at 6502 assembly on the C64.  Perhaps I might even try programming a game for the Atari 2600. I heard it is really difficult, but I think it would be fun.

        Hope to see you around at the various events. Smiley emoticon

        Jeff

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 24 5:24 AM
          Steve,
          Where in MD?
          bd

          stevekimos wrote:
          > Evan K. suggested joining. We exchanged posts over on The Vintage Computer Forum. Nothing ventured, so here goes. The whole "newsgroup" thing is a new experience, so please forgive any protocol violations.
          >
          > My interest in old/vintage/retro computers is quite new. However, I have fond memories of computer systems encountered during the late 70s through the 80s. Much of what I recall during my early professional career focused on a Pr1me micro system. Also, maybe there were some Zenith 286s with monochrome monitors around the office somewhere.
          >
          > At this point, I have no vintage gear. The oldest machine here at home is a 486 that at least has a hard-drive lock and a turbo control. Not sure yet what vintage gear I might want to acquire, but an IBM XT/286 machine might be fun to play with.
          >
          > It might be interesting to attend the September outing. We'll see what happens!
          >
          > Cheers,
          > Steve

        • Steve Kimos
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 24 7:57 AM
            Bill, I'm in Mount Airy, a bit south of Westminster.

            Steve

            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 24 8:07 AM
              I am in Landenberg, PA which is near the MD border, upper right point of MD.

              Steve Kimos wrote:
[...]

              <*> Your email settings:
                  Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
                  (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • Steve Kimos
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 24 9:20 AM
                Near Delta? We've boarded our dog there on the way to/from Dutch Wonderland.

                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 24 9:59 AM
                  I am 25 miles from Dutch Wonderland.
                  bd

                  Steve Kimos wrote:
                  Near Delta? We've boarded our dog there on the way to/from Dutch Wonderland.

                    I'll keep that in mind for our annual pilgrimage to Lancaster!

                    Steve

                    Near Delta? We've boarded our dog there on the way to/from Dutch Wonderland.