VCF Landenberg .0020

    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 20, 2009
      VCF Landenberg .0020
      All day Sat April 25 - Sun April 26.

      S-100 I/O will be the focus. The goal is to bring a few more systems up
      to the point that they're doing terminal and/or disk I/O. Testing
      S-100 cards, identifying drive issues, etc. Email me with questions.

      Bill
    • Dan Roganti
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 20, 2009

        B Degnan wrote:
        VCF Landenberg .0020
        All day Sat April 25 - Sun April 26.

        S-100 I/O will be the focus.  The goal is to bring a few more systems up
        to the point that they're doing terminal and/or disk I/O.    Testing
        S-100 cards, identifying drive issues, etc.  Email me with questions.

        I'll be there !

        be there or be square_root   --har har har

        =Dan

      • Mike Loewen
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 20, 2009
          I've finally had a few more hours to work on the IMSAI, and things are
          looking up. After slowly bringing up the electrolytic capacitors in the
          power supply to their rated voltage (in stages, monitoring the current), I
          left them sit there for several hours. After bleeding off the charge, I
          put everything back together and powered up the machine with only the
          front panel plugged in. No smoke!

          Next, I plugged in the Cromemco ZPU card, the Fulcrum Omniram 64KB
          static RAM card and the Compupro active terminator card. I tried the
          Deposit and Examine switches, but was getting inconsistent results. After
          some online reading, I decided to disable the Power On Jump (POJ) on the
          ZPU card. Now, the Deposit and Examine switches were working as expected.
          I toggled in a short program, found here:

          http://techtinkering.com/blog/?id=11

          All it does is move an LED back and forth in the Programmed Outputs
          register on the front panel, Cylon-style. You can change the speed by
          turning on the high address switches. It worked:

          http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/IMSAI/Cylon-S.mp4

          The next step was to insert the Morrow Disk Jockey 2D/B floppy
          controller and connect the dual 8-inch drives and a serial terminal. The
          2D/B has its own POJ logic, which sends the CPU to F800H on reset. No joy
          on booting from diskette, though. From the front panel, I can read the
          jump table at F800H and can follow the program flow. The red LED on the
          2D/B comes on indicating the controller is ready, but the drive select LED
          doesn't pulse as described in the manual. At this point, I ran out of
          time. I'll pick it up later and try to figure out if the drive is
          working.

          Mike Loewen mloewen@...
        • Bill Dromgoole
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 20, 2009
            Good work Mike!

            Thanks for showing your process and your progress.

            Bill #3

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 21, 2009
              <snip>

              great news.
              > Now, the Deposit and Examine switches were working as expected.
              > I toggled in a short program, found here:
              >
              > http://techtinkering.com/blog/?id=11
              >
              > All it does is move an LED back and forth in the Programmed Outputs
              > register on the front panel, Cylon-style. You can change the speed by
              > turning on the high address switches. It worked:
              >
              > http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/IMSAI/Cylon-S.mp4
              >
              > The next step was to insert the Morrow Disk Jockey 2D/B floppy
              > controller and connect the dual 8-inch drives and a serial terminal. The
              > 2D/B has its own POJ logic, which sends the CPU to F800H on reset. No joy
              > on booting from diskette, though. From the front panel, I can read the
              > jump table at F800H and can follow the program flow. The red LED on the
              > 2D/B comes on indicating the controller is ready, but the drive select LED
              > doesn't pulse as described in the manual. At this point, I ran out of
              > time. I'll pick it up later and try to figure out if the drive is
              > working.

              Ah the disk drive issues! Dan and I will be working on this kind of
              stuff this weekend. Anyone else coming?

              Bill
            • Mike Loewen
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 21, 2009
                On Tue, 21 Apr 2009, B Degnan wrote:

                > Ah the disk drive issues! Dan and I will be working on this kind of
                > stuff this weekend. Anyone else coming?

                I wish I could, but I have a gig on Saturday. If anyone could get this
                thing working, this crew could.

                Mike Loewen mloewen@...
              • Dan Roganti
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 21, 2009
                  Mike,

                  Did you have the original manual too ?
                  There's an issue with one of the mods not being documented properly. It's being discussed on cctalk. One of the diagrams seems to be missing from the pdf files for the CPA section. My manual is original and it only has one of the mods described.  Would yours have any more info about the mods ?

                  Here's a snip from the posting on cctalk
                  The front panel does not work quite right with the combination of CPU and RAM I have in the machine, so I've been debugging various things and have made some decent progress.  Now Examine and Examine Next work properly.  Deposit/Deposit Next, however, do not.

                  Reading through the CPA manual I got from http://www.classiccmp.org/dunfield/imsai/cpa.pdf, there's a modification that needs to be done to get the front panel to work with non-IMSAI RAM cards -- this has not been done to my front panel.

                  Seems that that might be at least part of the problem.  But step 3 (see pg 26, for those following along at home) refers to Fig 2, referencing points A & B.  Figure 2 is not in the PDF. There is a schematic on page 28 outlining the change, but it's unreadable.

                  =Dan

                  Mike Loewen wrote:
[...]

                  Old Technology	http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/

                  <*> Your email settings:
                      Individual Email | Traditional

                  <*> To change settings online go to:
                      (Yahoo! ID required)

                  <*> To change settings via email:

                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 21, 2009
                    On Tue, 21 Apr 2009, Dan Roganti wrote:

                    > Did you have the original manual too ?

                    No, just a PDF copy downloaded from the usual sources.

                    > There's an issue with one of the mods not being documented properly.
                    > It's being discussed on cctalk. One of the diagrams seems to be missing
                    > from the pdf files for the CPA section. My manual is original and it
                    > only has one of the mods described. Would yours have any more info
                    > about the mods ?

                    I haven't checked my CPA for mods. However, given that this was a
                    working system when taken out of service I'm fairly confident that the RAM
                    and ZPU are playing together nicely.

                    I'm following the discussion on cctalk.

                    Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                  • Dan Roganti

                      Message 10 of 14 , Apr 21, 2009
                        OK
                        Currently at Phillies game...
                        bd

                        Message 11 of 14 , Apr 21, 2009
                          Isn't what you're looking for found on page 36 of
                          http://www.classiccmp.org/dunfield/imsai/cpa.pdf ?

                          I checked my manuals, the pages aren't in the same order, but I can't be
                          sure what's missing.

                          Bill

                          Message 12 of 14 , Apr 22, 2009

                            B Degnan wrote:
                            Isn't what you're looking for found on page 36 of
                            http://www.classiccmp.org/dunfield/imsai/cpa.pdf ?

                            I checked my manuals, the pages aren't in the same order, but I can't be
                            sure what's missing.

                            Page 36 happens to be another separate modification. for mwrite signal, pin 68, on the bus.

                            The modification on page 26 with the missing Fig.2 diagram is for the run signal, pin 71,  on the bus.

                            =Dan

                            Message 13 of 14 , Apr 22, 2009
                              OK. I've uploaded a copy of figure 2 to my site
                              vintagecomputer.net/imsai/imsai_fig2.pdf

                              It was a pain to make, because it's a triple fold. I had to piece it
                              together from three scans, so excuse the color variance and cropping to
                              make it fit. Feel free to share as needed.

                              Bill

                              Message 14 of 14 , Apr 23, 2009

                                B Degnan wrote:
                                OK.  I've uploaded a copy of figure 2 to my site
                                vintagecomputer.net/imsai/imsai_fig2.pdf

                                It was a pain to make, because it's a triple fold.  I had to piece it
                                together from three scans, so excuse the color variance and cropping to
                                make it fit.  Feel free to share as needed.

                                That's great !
                                The scan came out quite good.
                                I'll forward the link.

                                thanks !