Re: [midatlanticretro] 5 1/4" with XP?

  • raven eyes
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 19, 2009
      James,

      Apologies if this has already been said (I am a bit of a nub with mailing lists), but XP can format 5.25" disks just fine, use the command-line format utility with explicit declarations of the number of tracks and sectors, etc., since the /4 switch is now depreciated. You can google for the specifics.

      On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 8:54 PM, B Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:

      James,

      On topic, yes.  I go the other way around.  I use an old 386 or 486 system with both drives, and do my transferring there instead.  I don't know if there is a way on XP to hook up a 5 1/4" without a catweasel.
      bd

      J. Kalin wrote:

      I know XP will only read and write to 5 ¼” disks, is there a program that will format 5 ¼” disks that will run on XP?

      James