Special notice: Forming a MARCH museum!

  • evan947
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 9, 2005
      Hi everyone,

      I have some very exciting news. I was contacted today by Fred Carl,
      who works with the InfoAge Learning Center (located in the town of
      Wall, N.J.) -- InfoAge is a 100,000-square-foot, 17-building facility
      opening this fall on a former Army research campus. Fred heard about
      MARCH after I posted a message about TCF to the mailing list of the NJ
      Antique Radio Club (they will be at TCF too). He said they already
      have a sizeable computer collection mostly donated by one person
      (details to come; meanwhile please see
      http://www.infoage.org/grabbe.htm), and what they are looking for now
      is a group of volunteers to basically take control of that. So he's
      offering that role to us! If we accept, it would basically become the
      "MARCH Museum @ InfoAge". We'd have serious access to a HUGE amount
      of space. In this space we could hold events, store things, and
      eventually own/host a real museum. (He also said that once things are
      underway, they'll be looking to hire some staff.)

      I'm giddy about the prospects. There are computer museums in Maryland
      and Virginia, but nothing to my knowledge in all of NJ, NY, DE, or PA.
      (There are things like the Liberty Science Center, which is very
      generic, and the Antique Wireless Association in upstate NY, but a
      real mid-Atlantic regional computer museum would be a first, and in my
      opinion is desperately needed.) So, having a regional computer museum
      run by experts like us would be a major benefit to the community, and
      of course a major endorsement for our hobby.

      Thoughts, anyone? There wouldn't be any intense time requirement,
      just that we help out when we can.
    • billdeg@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 9, 2005
        I would love to help.
        Bill Degnan

        In a message dated 3/9/2005 7:17:44 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        evan947@... writes:

        > Hi everyone,
        >
        > I have some very exciting news. I was contacted today by Fred Carl,
        > who works with the InfoAge Learning Center (located in the town of
        > Wall, N.J.) -- InfoAge is a 100,000-square-foot, 17-building facility
        > opening this fall on a former Army research campus. Fred heard about
        > MARCH after I posted a message about TCF to the mailing list of the NJ
        > Antique Radio Club (they will be at TCF too). He said they already
        > have a sizeable computer collection mostly donated by one person
        > (details to come; meanwhile please see
        > http://www.infoage.org/grabbe.htm), and what they are looking for now
        > is a group of volunteers to basically take control of that. So he's
        > offering that role to us! If we accept, it would basically become the
        > "MARCH Museum @ InfoAge". We'd have serious access to a HUGE amount
        > of space. In this space we could hold events, store things, and
        > eventually own/host a real museum. (He also said that once things are
        > underway, they'll be looking to hire some staff.)

      • Dan
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 10, 2005
          That sounds like a great place to visit. I'll have to put that on my
          itinerary the next time I head over east. If I wasn't here in
          Pittsburgh. I would help out too My collection could use a good home
          like that.

          Dan

          [ Pittsburgh Robotics Society ]
          [ Got Robot ? ]
          [ http://pghrobot.home.comcast.net/ ]

          evan947 wrote:

          > Hi everyone,
          >
          > I have some very exciting news. I was contacted today by Fred Carl,
          > who works with the InfoAge Learning Center (located in the town of
          > Wall, N.J.) -- InfoAge is a 100,000-square-foot, 17-building facility
          > opening this fall on a former Army research campus. Fred heard about
          > MARCH after I posted a message about TCF to the mailing list of the NJ
          > Antique Radio Club (they will be at TCF too). He said they already
          > have a sizeable computer collection mostly donated by one person
          > (details to come; meanwhile please see
          > http://www.infoage.org/grabbe.htm),
          > <http://www.infoage.org/grabbe.htm%29,> and what they are looking for now
          > is a group of volunteers to basically take control of that. So he's
          > offering that role to us! If we accept, it would basically become the
          > "MARCH Museum @ InfoAge". We'd have serious access to a HUGE amount
          > of space. In this space we could hold events, store things, and
          > eventually own/host a real museum. (He also said that once things are
          > underway, they'll be looking to hire some staff.)
          >
          > I'm giddy about the prospects. There are computer museums in Maryland
          > and Virginia, but nothing to my knowledge in all of NJ, NY, DE, or PA.
          > (There are things like the Liberty Science Center, which is very
          > generic, and the Antique Wireless Association in upstate NY, but a
          > real mid-Atlantic regional computer museum would be a first, and in my
          > opinion is desperately needed.) So, having a regional computer museum
          > run by experts like us would be a major benefit to the community, and
          > of course a major endorsement for our hobby.
          >
          > Thoughts, anyone? There wouldn't be any intense time requirement,
          > just that we help out when we can.

        • ahm
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 12, 2005
            > I have some very exciting news. I was contacted today by Fred Carl,
            > who works with the InfoAge Learning Center (located in the town of
            > Wall, N.J.)

            Evan, this sounds great!

            I'd be interested to know if we can take a ride down there sometime
            and check it out. My schedule is suddenly wide open.
          • evan947
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 12, 2005
              Yup, Fred invited us. He's busy for the next week or two, but I will
              try to coordinate a trip.