Re: [midatlanticretro] Seeking Apple Advice - Apple II GS disk drive config question

  • Vintage Computer Festival
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 1, 2005
      On Wed, 31 Aug 2005, billdeg wrote:

      > switch or something I'd need to change? I know that the labels on the
      > drives "5/1" and "6/1" are clues, I believe the 6/1 means that the
      > drive is the boot drive, but I am not as much of an Apple person.

      Mike's response was helpful. I was under the impression that if you have
      5.25" and 3.5" drives on the same controller the 3.5" drive had to be
      plugged directly into the controller and then the 5.25" daisy-chained into
      the 3.5".

      Also, the control panel is where you would configure which drive boots.

      As far as the 6/1 and 5/1 labels, that most likely means Slot 6, Drive 1
      and Slot 5, Drive 1 respectively. In other words, they had two disk
      controllers in the GS (the built in controller and then a plug in
      controller?) and one drive was attached to each.

      I'm not sure but it could be that with the GS, the built-in controller can
      be configured to show up as slot 5 for the 3.5" drives and slot 6 for the
      5.25" drives.

      --

      Sellam Ismail Vintage Computer Festival