Potential VCF East exhibit

  • Anthony L. Eros
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 24 7:35 AM

      I'm thinking of putting together an exhibit for VCF East in September.  I've been focusing my collecting of late on microprocessor labs and digital logic trainers.  My toys include:

        DEC Computer Lab
        Minivac 601 & 6010
        Heathkit ET3400
        NRI-832
        Philco Logic Trainer
        HP 5036 Microprocessor Lab
        Fairfield Logic Lab
        Digiac 4010
        Pencilbox Logic Designer
        DEC J11 Evaluation/Experimenter SBC

      They're all fully functional, though I don't have documentation for a couple of them.

      I've only been to a couple of VCF events - a VCF East that was held several years back at a Sun facility, and VCF 10.0 in late 2007.  I'm thinking about making the exhibit somewhat interactive, letting folks wire up a couple of simple projects.  Is that a good idea?  I'm not really afraid of things walking away, but are all of the exhibit spaces conducive to that sort of thing?

      I'm also torn on whether or not to include the more advanced systems (HP, DEC, and Heathkit) in the exhibit.  They're cool, but maybe I'd be better off focusing more on the low-level logic.

      Any thoughts or suggestions?

      -- Tony

      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 24 8:41 AM
        Message
        Excellent email.  :)

        We strongly encourage hands-on exhibits and will do whatever we can to assist you, i.e. extra space.  In fact, this year, there's a good chance Jeri Ellsworth will bring her homebrewed chip fab onto our show floor!

        You've already seen some great exhibits (I know because I was at the same two VCF editions that you were), however, doing is very different from spectating.  So, narrowing your focus to few systems is probably a smart move.  Pick the few that you know best, or that have the most in common, or that represent something thematically.

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 24 9:24 AM
          > I'm thinking
          > about making the exhibit somewhat interactive, letting folks wire up a
          > couple of simple projects. Is that a good idea? I'm not really afraid of
          > things walking away, but are all of the exhibit spaces conducive to that
          > sort of thing?

          Since people of all levels show up with few who will be interested in
          spending a significant time at/learing about a particular display
          (or I end up driving them off from mine) I would suggest having three
          levels of display across the items. The simlplest would be having one running
          something blinking lights ish to attract attention and for the people
          who want to see something but aren't really interesting in knowing anything
          significant about the items. The next would be a simple demo (enter
          couple instructions/put a few wires in etc) you can
          do with a short explanation of what they did/used for/represent. The last
          would be something they can do. Standard setup is tables with you
          on one side and the public standing on the other. If you search you can
          see photos people took at previous events which shows the layout.