Seeking Apple Advice - Apple II GS disk drive config question

  • billdeg
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 31, 2005
      Hi - This may be a dumb question...
      I have an Apple II GS ROM version 1 with two diskette drives. The
      drives are models A9M0106 (3.5") and A9M0107 (5 1/4"). The 3.5 is
      labeled "5/1" and the 5 1/4" drive is labeled "6/1". I have no manuals.

      I can plug either drive directly into the back of the GS diskette
      port. I can then daisy chain the other drive into the drive that's
      plugged into the GS. It doesn't work right however.

      If I plug the 3.5 into the 5 1/4 and then the 5 1/4 into the GS the
      system boots to the 5 1/4 drive.

      If I do the reverse the system still boots to the 5 1/4 drive.

      I can only boot to the 3.5 drive when the 5 1/4 is not plugged in at
      all. If I try to plug the 5 1/4 drive into the 3.5 drive after the
      system has booted the drive spins and the system freezes.

      It would be great if I could boot from the 3.5 and keep the 5 1/4 drive
      plugged in as a "data drive" or read old apple II games off the 5 /1/4
      drive after I boot with the 3.5. Any suggestions? Is there a dip
      switch or something I'd need to change? I know that the labels on the
      drives "5/1" and "6/1" are clues, I believe the 6/1 means that the
      drive is the boot drive, but I am not as much of an Apple person.

      Bill Degnan
    • Mike Loewen
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 31, 2005
        On Wed, 31 Aug 2005, billdeg wrote:

        > It would be great if I could boot from the 3.5 and keep the 5 1/4 drive
        > plugged in as a "data drive" or read old apple II games off the 5 /1/4
        > drive after I boot with the 3.5. Any suggestions? Is there a dip
        > switch or something I'd need to change? I know that the labels on the
        > drives "5/1" and "6/1" are clues, I believe the 6/1 means that the
        > drive is the boot drive, but I am not as much of an Apple person.

        According to the manual (I'm sending it to you in a separate message):

        "The quickest way to get comfortable with your Apple IIgs is to start
        using it. That's the purpose of the Apple IIgs training disk. Before you
        start up the training disk, you need to identify your startup disk drive.
        The startup drive is the drive where the computer will look for a startup
        disk a disk with an application it can start up with.

        If you have only one drive, it's your startup drive.

        If you have two or more drives of the same type (both 3.5-inch drives or
        both 5.25-inch drives), the startup drive is the drive connected directly
        to the disk drive port.

        If you have both a 5.25-inch drive and a 3.5-inch drive connected to the
        disk drive port, the 5.25-inch drive is your startup drive. If you want
        the computer to start up from a disk in your 3.5-inch drive (which you do
        if you plan to use the Apple IIgs training disk), make sure your 5.25-inch
        drive is empty. When your computer can't find a disk in the 5.25-inch
        drive, it will check the 3.5-inch drive next. Depending on whether the
        majority of your application program disks are 3.5-inch or 5.25-inch, at
        some point you might want to use the Control Panel Program to change the
        startup drive.

        If you have two drives of the same type connected to a disk drive
        controller card, the startup drive is the drive attached to the connector
        labeled drive 1 on the card.

        If you have drives connected to more than one controller card, the startup
        drive is the drive connected to the card in the highest-numbered slot. If
        you want, you can change the startup slot by using the Control Panel
        Program."

        Mike Loewen mloewen@...
      • Mike Loewen
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 31, 2005
          I have an Apple IIe enhanced, with a broken keyswitch and missing
          keycap for the number zero (0) key:

          http://sturgeon.cac.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/Apple/AppleIIeE-3L.jpg

          Does anyone have a spare switch and/or 0 keycap? I have two older IIe
          systems, but the switches are different. Thanks.

          Mike Loewen mloewen@...
        • Vintage Computer Festival
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 1 10:23 AM
            On Wed, 31 Aug 2005, billdeg wrote:

            > switch or something I'd need to change? I know that the labels on the
            > drives "5/1" and "6/1" are clues, I believe the 6/1 means that the
            > drive is the boot drive, but I am not as much of an Apple person.

            Mike's response was helpful. I was under the impression that if you have
            5.25" and 3.5" drives on the same controller the 3.5" drive had to be
            plugged directly into the controller and then the 5.25" daisy-chained into
            the 3.5".

            Also, the control panel is where you would configure which drive boots.

            As far as the 6/1 and 5/1 labels, that most likely means Slot 6, Drive 1
            and Slot 5, Drive 1 respectively. In other words, they had two disk
            controllers in the GS (the built in controller and then a plug in
            controller?) and one drive was attached to each.

            I'm not sure but it could be that with the GS, the built-in controller can
            be configured to show up as slot 5 for the 3.5" drives and slot 6 for the
            5.25" drives.

            --

            Sellam Ismail Vintage Computer Festival