OT: Test

  • Christian Liendo
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 19, 2009
      This is kinda on/off topic, but has anyone noticed that yahoo is REALLY slow..

      I mean I have been noticing this for over a month, but in the last few fays yahoo is real real real slow. Has anyone noticed the time it takes to post to the group to the time you get it?

      Sent on the Now Network™ from my Sprint® BlackBerry

    • Bill Degnan
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 19, 2009
        As an ISP manager, we have had to do a lot lately to manage spam and viruses. Also, we're noticing that our customers are sending a lot more mail for advertising. They're replacing print and online ads with email ads. I think we're in store for a wave of crapola.
        bd

        > This is kinda on/off topic, but has anyone noticed that yahoo is REALLY slow..
        >
        > I mean I have been noticing this for over a month, but in the last few fays yahoo is real real real slow. Has anyone noticed the time it takes to post to the group to the time you get it?

      • Christian Liendo
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 19, 2009
          I used to work as the NetAdmin for an ISP called Globix.  Spam is still a huge problem and I remember back then when we had a number of clients who were spammers that caused us a lot of problems.

          Just that yahoo as a whole seems slower.. Just didn't know if anyone else noticed.

          As an ISP manager, we have had to do a lot lately to manage spam and viruses. Also, we're noticing that our customers are sending a lot more mail for advertising. They're replacing print and online ads with email ads. I think we're in store for a wave of crapola.
          bd

          > This is kinda on/off topic, but has anyone noticed that yahoo is REALLY slow..
          >
          > I mean I have been noticing this for over a month, but in the last few fays yahoo is real real real slow. Has anyone noticed the time it takes to post to the group to the time you get it?

        • Brian Cirulnick
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 19, 2009

            > Just that yahoo as a whole seems slower.. Just didn't know if anyone else noticed.
            ------------------

            Lots more folks are out of work, and yahoo has free email. Put 2+2 together.

            There's probably a zillion more resumes flying through the network, and a lot more people with time on their hands to surf the web and send out crappy emails about how you can become a zillionaire working part time in your home (I'm really hating that TV commercial).

            I'm surprised the entire internet has come crashing down due to the general traffic increase. It's not like a big truck that you can just dump on... it's a series of tubes...
          • Ray Sills
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 19, 2009
              Hi Brian:

              Interesting point... many people depended on using email from the
              office. For my money, I think GMail is a better service. MUCH less
              advertising, and it's only text advertising. I also have a Yahoo
              account, but that's partly due to to belonging to various groups who
              use the services of Yahoo.
              If it were not due to the volume of email I get, I'd consider Gmail
              for my main email account.

              73 de Ray

              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 20, 2009
                --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Ray Sills <raysills@...> wrote:

                > Hi Brian:
                >
                > Interesting point... many people depended on using email from the
                > office. For my money, I think GMail is a better service. MUCH less
                > advertising, and it's only text advertising. I also have a Yahoo
                > account, but that's partly due to to belonging to various groups who
                > use the services of Yahoo.
                > If it were not due to the volume of email I get, I'd consider Gmail
                > for my main email account.
                >
                > 73 de Ray
                >
                > On Mar 19, 2009, at 5:05 PM, Brian Cirulnick wrote:
                >
                > > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Christian Liendo
                > > <christian_liendo@> wrote:
                > >>
                > >> Just that yahoo as a whole seems slower.. Just didn't know if
                > >> anyone else noticed.
                > > ------------------
                > >
                > > Lots more folks are out of work, and yahoo has free email. Put 2+2
                > > together.
                -------------------

                I'm on quite a few Yahoo groups (mostly concerning motorcycles or Vanagon content), and they have ALL been complaining about the recent slowdown of services.

                Someone did a little digging and it seems that Yahoo is doing "upgrades", which will target more advertising, clutter up our screens and generally make life miserable for online users (especially for dial-up or low-end broadband users).

                Some are even saying that Yahoo mail itself is so screwed up they can't even open their emails. Or they get a message header and no body text.

                One guy, who went as far as ditching his TV set in 1994, is now saying it's time to give up the computer as well, because the advertising has gotten out of hand.

                I think the internet has jumped the shark, we're now 40 minutes into the future, and I'm considering becoming a blank.
              • evan@snarc.net
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 20, 2009
                  >>> "Someone did a little digging" ... "One guy" ....

                  Sounds like classic FUD.

                  -------------------

                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 20, 2009
                    Well I have timed out a number of times and it has gotten really really slow to the point of unusable.

                    I really don't want to ditch this account because I had it so long.  I just wanted to know if anyone else noticed or knew what was going on.

                    I dont want to turn this into a "I hate yahoo", I just wanted to know if anyone knew what was going on.

                    ------------ -------

                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 20, 2009
                      Hi Christian:

                      I don't use my Yahoo mail account very often. But, my wife does.
                      Sometimes, we both get copies of email (usually from the kids) that is
                      originated at the same time.. but quite often, I receive the email
                      before she does. Sometimes it's a few minutes difference, and once it
                      was hours.
                      I'm using a dedicated email client app, and she uses the webmail
                      interface.

                      So, we have had some tardiness issues with Yahoo.

                      73 de Ray